Coopers Community

Whats in Your Fermenter - 2024?

Haven't brewed a Brit Golden ale for a long time so...

• 3.4kg GF Ale Malt
  • 400g Wheat
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 25g Pacific Jade @40min 
  • 25g Fuggles @15min
  • 25g Fuggles @5min
  • Voss @ 35ºC

[insert photos of brew day and fermenter here]

👨‍🔬

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

GingerAide.

20L batch , simple as hell.

• 2kg white sugar,
  • 3 x 500ml coles lemon juice 
  • 8 tablespoons of ginger powder
  • half a tablespoon of cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons of nutrient
  • House strain of Voss Kveik yeast 

Pitched at 40 celcius. Its not finished yet , kveik dosent work as quickly with non-beer fermentations but you can still get geat fruity flavours

Surprised at the krausen! 250mm high and clean and white

It was blowing of a bit of Sulphur but that has mostly passed , and mid fermentation tastings ROCK the KAZBAR!

• Like 9

Coopers Australian Lager put together yesterday.  I was going to do this one in a few weeks.  However, not too many other jobs to do this weekend, so I thought what the heck, let's do it.

I plan to keg this brew.  Therefore, I had to supplement the ingredients because it does not benefit from the extra ABV from bottle priming.  So I added 400g of Light Dry Malt into the fermenter.  Plus, to keep the IBU up, I added a few grams of Centennial to the 30 minute boil.

After topping up the fermenter to 22 litres, as per instructions, the SG was 1.044 instead of expected 1.041.  So I added another litre to get 23 litres at 1.042.

I am looking forward to trying this beer.  It proves what you can do with basic ingredients.  The recipe does not include a pre-hopped can.  You provide all the bitterness via a 30 minute boil of Galaxy (and in my case some Centennial).  This method can be used to make a wide variety of beers.  The only limitation is the Light Malt base.  But it is the canvas upon which you could add other steeping malts and different hops.

Ingredients ready to go.

IMG_4235.JPG.2ad5256eb31d6aa8219d65d5a55cf354.JPG

Fermenter tucked away in the new fermenting fridge.

IMG_4236.thumb.JPG.18febcb656cdcf16f31617de6f2a26c5.JPG

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Australian Lager put together yesterday.  I was going to do this one in a few weeks.  However, not too many other jobs to do this weekend, so I thought what the heck, let's do it.

I plan to keg this brew.  Therefore, I had to supplement the ingredients because it does not benefit from the extra ABV from bottle priming.  So I added 400g of Light Dry Malt into the fermenter.  Plus, to keep the IBU up, I added a few grams of Centennial to the 30 minute boil.

After topping up the fermenter to 22 litres, as per instructions, the SG was 1.044 instead of expected 1.041.  So I added another litre to get 23 litres at 1.042.

I am looking forward to trying this beer.  It proves what you can do with basic ingredients.  The recipe does not include a pre-hopped can.  You provide all the bitterness via a 30 minute boil of Galaxy (and in my case some Centennial).  This method can be used to make a wide variety of beers.  The only limitation is the Light Malt base.  But it is the canvas upon which you could add other steeping malts and different hops.

Ingredients ready to go.

IMG_4235.JPG.2ad5256eb31d6aa8219d65d5a55cf354.JPG

IMG_4236.thumb.JPG.18febcb656cdcf16f31617de6f2a26c5.JPG

Looks good Shamus, nicely organised brew day as usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coopers original Pale Ale AG with the commercial yeast starting to fire up and look like a healthy fermentation. I ended up receiving a $30 gift voucher for Dan Murphy’s for Christmas and I try not to buy commercial beer unless I am tasting something to make! So I thought I would buy four king browns of coopers pale ale and harvest the yeast so I pretended I was buying yeast with the added  bonus of beer! Been meaning to do this for a while so, so far so good! I harvested some off the starter to make another beer another time! I will probably try a coopers sparkling with the cake! I have used @iBooz2’s pale ale recipe for this one so should be a good one! If not it’s all his fault! 🤣(that was a joke)

IMG_2144.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Just put my spin on the Nelson's Light in the fermentor, as per this thread... https://community.diybeer.com/topic/17143-low-alcohol-brewing/?do=findComment&comment=309034

Pretty proud of myself. First time making beer without a pre-hopped can. Also first time using some real grains. Hopefully the results are good 🤞

OG 1.027 (if my hydrometer is to be trusted).

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 10

On 1/21/2024 at 8:03 PM, RDT2 said:

I have used @iBooz2’s pale ale recipe for this one so should be a good one! If not it’s all his fault!

I must warn you that I think you will be doing many more of these in the near future and yes that is my fault, hands down!

Fresh spun up CCA yeast is the go, and may I suggest that you up the wheat from 200 g to 400 g on your next batch for a tight foam meringue like head which is very photogenetic and it will impress your mates when they see it in the glass.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 5:08 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Shamus O'Sean I am a bit worried out all that raw porous fibrous material in your FV fridge (i.e. undressed and unsealed timber).  An accidental spill or wild yeast collections could lead to an infection finding its way into your FV.

If you give me the required dimensions, I would be quite happy to TIG weld up an aluminium frame/platform for you as I have heaps of ally left over from my big caravan build.  That way you could just spray it with cleaner or bleach then rinse between uses or after an accidental spill.  Let me know.

• Like 4

Maiden voyage of my 58 L SS Kegmenter #2 with 44 L of @ozdevil USPA using US05 yeast.  Hopefully there are no icebergs dead ahead ha ha.   🚢 🧊 🌊

Pitched at 21.5 C fridge temp set to 18 C and no pressure applied for starters to let some ale esters form in the brew then will ramp up temp and pressure over the next couple of days to finish it off quicker than a no pressure fermentation.  Be interesting to see how the US05 goes with higher temps and pressure.

I had better get a brew day underway again quite quickly now as these big Kegmenter's consume lots of cubes of wort.

OzDevils USPA in Kegmenter 2.jpg

• Like 7

I knocked up a Holly Hazy IPA earlier. Had to use LDM instead of malt extract but I’ve done that before and it’s worked fine (Regency Red, twice).  I pitched it a bit low (~16C) so put it next to the hot water tank. I’ll probably keg a 10l keg and bottle the rest. I’ve realised takeaway bottles are handy, travelling kegs don’t end up serving well - they always end up murky regardless of a cold crash.

That was a good way to spend my lunch break 😉

IMG_1686.jpeg

IMG_1687.jpeg

IMG_1688.jpeg

IMG_1689.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 8

I dry pitched a single pack of NovaLager into my Aussie Lager on Tuesday and had it at 16C. This morning, after 4 days, I checked SG to see if it is ready for a d-rest yet. Turns out, the beer is almost done. It sits at 1.010 with 1.007 the (unlikely as usual) target. At this rate, the beer will be done, cold crashed and ready to keg in another week. I'll give it until Monday to finish off and then start dropping the temp again. 

This yeast is a beast for a lager yeast. It doesn't take prisoners and goes straight for the jugular 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I went to transfer my Carlton wort from the cube to the fermenter and noticed the cube was bulging out. So opened the lid and damn it was off, have no idea what caused it, processes the same, the wort was only 2 days old, never had this problem before. Just catching up from Christmas now behind again, not happy, 😓

• Sad 7

23 minutes ago, John304 said:

I went to transfer my Carlton wort from the cube to the fermenter and noticed the cube was bulging out. So opened the lid and damn it was off, have no idea what caused it, processes the same, the wort was only 2 days old, never had this problem before. Just catching up from Christmas now behind again, not happy, 😓

I had the same problem once, I think it was caused due to the wort being too hot, now I wait until it is about 80c or less, I even had to chuck the cube.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I had the same problem once, I think it was caused due to the wort being too hot, now I wait until it is about 80c or less, I even had to chuck the cube.

I would say it would of been the infection that caused the bulge in @John304’s cube not heat!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, John304 said:

At least you worked it out before you started fermentation that would of been been more of a waste!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

Had to use LDM instead of malt extract but I’ve done that before and it’s worked fine

And a lot of the time, the Light Dry Malt is lighter in colour than the Liquid Malt Extract.  Especially Coopers LDM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeh I think you could be right, I think I was a little impatient this time 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, John304 said:

I’ve nuked the cube in bleach 😛now and will see next time 

Yeah that should do it a good soak in bleach had it in a fermenter once and I smashed it with bleach and had no more trouble after that one time

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 4