Coopers Community

Whats in Your Fermenter - 2024?

Got the first cube of my COPA brews underway.  Did not bother making a starter of CCA yeast as I had the dregs of about 18 stubbies of the commercial beer on hand to toss into it.  Should be more than enough yeast in that lot.  Results of holiday season drinking 😁.  Pitched at 17 C where it will stay for two days and then temp will get increased by 1 C per day until FG comes around then it will be cold crashed for a few days.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

The AI Pale Ale will be cold crashed tomorrow. This is very promising. If the flavours are anything to go by, it'll be really nice.

image.thumb.jpeg.e63148559847efdba81c3282df48c9a7.jpeg

This is a Catharina Sour I just put into the FV this morning.  Brewed as a mid-strength with around 3.5% abv.

image.thumb.jpeg.9d337af40d358e236f58c5f5c9defb65.jpeg

• Like 11

Got my 50 L of Carlton Draught into the Kegmenter, DL yeast pitched and all sealed up and pressurized and then I remembered, I forgot to aerate the wort - Bugga.

Here is hoping that dropping the wort from the cubes into the Kegmenter is enough.  I did not want to waste the gas in order to aerate so fingers crossed the old 2022 yeast forgive me and get to work.

• Like 5

I am planning my first brew for 2024 with the new grain & grain mill, I have the following grain ATM:

25kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt

4kg Pilsner Grain

4kg Vienna Grain

4kg Wheat Grain

I was thinking to brew 4kg Joe White/500gm Pilsner/500gm/Wheat & use MJ US Coast M44 Yeast or LalBrew American East Coast Yeast & 50gms/ POR /50gm Eclipse.

Based on a 5kg grain bill I would have thought this should make a nice Pale Ale of sorts, anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Phil

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am planning my first brew for 2024 with the new grain & grain mill, I have the following grain ATM:

4kg Pilsner Grain

4kg Vienna Grain

4kg Wheat Grain

I was thinking to brew 4kg Joe White/500gm Pilsner/500gm/Wheat & use MJ US Coast M44 Yeast or LalBrew American East Coast Yeast & 50gms/ POR /50gm Eclipse.

Based on a 5kg grain bill I would have thought this should make a nice Pale Ale of sorts, anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Phil

Should be fine. What's the hop schedule? I take it the Eclipse is for dry hopping? 

• Like 2

Just now, Aussiekraut said:

Should be fine. What's the hop schedule? I take it the Eclipse is for dry hopping? 

I should have said I have POR (heaps) & 50gm Eclipse, I was thinking to use at least 50gm POR in the boil & dry hop 50gm Eclipse 4 days before fermentation is finished.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I should have said I have POR (heaps) & 50gm Eclipse, I was thinking to use at least 50gm POR in the boil & dry hop 50gm Eclipse 4 days before fermentation is finished.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers.

That's what I thought. It should make for a nice drinker. Eclipse adds nice flavours when dry hopping. 

Pale Ales are so easy to make and with the hops and yeasts we have available, the possibilities are sheer endless. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

That's what I thought. It should make for a nice drinker. Eclipse adds nice flavours when dry hopping. 

Pale Ales are so easy to make and with the hops and yeasts we have available, the possibilities are sheer endless. 

Yeah, I love Eclipse.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:
18 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, I love Eclipse.

I first discovered eclipse a while back when I was making this Coopers extract recipe; https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/eclipse-australian-pale-ale.html

The eclipse as a dry hop in this brew was sensational IMO. I use it a lot now as a dry hop addition in a lot of my PA's.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

I first discovered eclipse a while back when I was making this Coopers extract recipe; https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/eclipse-australian-pale-ale.html

The eclipse as a dry hop in this brew was sensational IMO. I use it a lot now as a dry hop addition in a lot of my PA's.

The first time I came across it was an AG kit I bought was called "Eclipse Pale Ale" & then a FWK called "Eclipse IPA" - both were outstanding.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

It is very nice. IMHO, it goes well together with Melba and Mandarina Bavaria. They all share a mandarine/tangerine flavour but all bring something else to the party. That combo makes for a lovely brew. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

It is very nice. IMHO, it goes well together with Melba and Mandarina Bavaria. They all share a mandarine/tangerine flavour but all bring something else to the party. That combo makes for a lovely brew. 

Thanks AK, I'll give that combo a crack for sure.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

4kg Pilsner Grain

4kg Vienna Grain

4kg Wheat Grain

Cheers

Phil

@Classic Brewing Co , wrong tread , but anyway, my take on it would be to not use the Pilsner malt as it's not going to bring anything to a pale ale, save that for a lager.

Just the JW Ale malt say 3000 g and Vienna malt 1000 g then Wheat malt 500 g.  Hops - 50 g of PoR is too much in the boil.  I would go 25 g PoR for 60" and 25 g PoR hop stand at 80 degrees C for 20".  You want to be aiming for about 30 IBU for this gravity beer (estimated at 4.9 ABV for 22 - 23 L).

Then use 50 g of eclipse for your dry hop.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2024 at 2:43 PM, iBooz2 said:

Got my 50 L of Carlton Draught into the Kegmenter, DL yeast pitched and all sealed up and pressurized and then I remembered, I forgot to aerate the wort - Bugga.

Here is hoping that dropping the wort from the cubes into the Kegmenter is enough.  I did not want to waste the gas in order to aerate so fingers crossed the old 2022 yeast forgive me and get to work.

The use by May 2022 DL yeast are kicking goals in the Carlton Draught wort even without being aerated.  Managed to push sanitiser and purge six clean empty kegs using the CO2 pressure from the blow off tube so I am good to go for a little while, all I need is some beers to fill them.

My COPA brew is well underway too, cannot wait to cold crash this one and get it into the keg.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Classic Brewing Co , wrong tread , but anyway, my take on it would be to not use the Pilsner malt as it's not going to bring anything to a pale ale, save that for a lager.

Just the JW Ale malt say 3000 g and Vienna malt 1000 g then Wheat malt 500 g.  Hops - 50 g of PoR is too much in the boil.  I would go 25 g PoR for 60" and 25 g PoR hop stand at 80 degrees C for 20".  You want to be aiming for about 30 IBU for this gravity beer (estimated at 4.9 ABV for 22 - 23 L).

Then use 50 g of eclipse for your dry hop.

OK AL, Cheers, that sounds like it would work better, thanks for your input.

• Like 2

Continuing my experiments with tea in beer;

Coopers Draught 1.7kg

BE2 1kg

15 bags of echinacea infused green tea, steeped in 2l of water for 6 mins

22l

Will add another 5 bags later along with a dry hop of some sort (maybe Rakau).

The tea is pretty mild and slightly citrusy. Hopefully will make for a pleasant drop.

• Like 3

@Tricky Micky @Aussiekraut @Classic Brewing Co I must say I love Eclipse also, definitely one of my favourites. I first found it when I had a Philter Brewing Eclipse Hazy Pale Ale at the pub. It was so delicious I immediately started looking for more and how to replicate it. Sadly couldn’t find any more in stores, but plenty of recipes thankfully! It goes well with Galaxy in my experiments, I made the Coopers recipe for Eclipse APA but heavily dry hopped with Eclipse and Galaxy and it was excellent, one of the best I’ve made.

• Like 6

My Coopers Brew A IPA extract was mixed this afternoon with 1.5kg of light dry malt and 25g Galaxy hops (boiled in a chux baggy). The OG was 1051! That is way too high for regular drinking. 

My last brew, a Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale also started out at 1055!! I brought the OG's down to 1046, and 1052 respectively by adding 2 more litres of water to each.  But what can be causing the whopper OG's? A previous  Brew A IPA started at 1044.  The only difference I can pick is a new brand of light dry malt. Could that possibly cause the higher OG??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@jennyss That does sound a little high but LDM doesn't ferment out as much as something like dextrose, so you might find your FG will be quite a bit higher than previous brews. Your ABV might not be as scary as you're fearing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Beerdo said:

@jennyss That does sound a little high but LDM doesn't ferment out as much as something like dextrose, so you might find your FG will be quite a bit higher than previous brews. Your ABV might not be as scary as you're fearing.

Hi Jenny, 2 things to consider, did you tip out the first pour into the test tube as this generally is not a true reading due to yeast & other debris collecting around the tap area.

A second test may be more accurate otherwise you will need to calibrate your hydrometer, if you need help sing out or otherwise Google: " How to calibrate a hydrometer."

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Jenny, 2 things to consider, did you tip out the first pour into the test tube as this generally is not a true reading due to yeast & other debris collecting around the tap area.

A second test may be more accurate otherwise you will need to calibrate your hydrometer, if you need help sing out or otherwise Google: " How to calibrate a hydrometer."

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=coopers+diy+videos+calibrating+a+hydrometer&mid=EA791FA5DD91F84CCFDEEA791FA5DD91F84CCFDE&FORM=VIRE

https://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-a-Hydrometer

Just adding, I wouldn't worry too much about the SG at this time as that brew calls for extra malt & is going to be gutsier, most of the ones I brewed were well into the 50's.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sounds yummy RD.

Yeah first time I’ve seen this kit at the LHBS, the owner has just purchased the pub across from it.

He was recommending I slip in there for a beer, I had 1 as it was $16 a schooner, went home and drunk my own 😳😳

• Sad 2