Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

On 12/17/2023 at 5:22 PM, Back Brewing said:

I brewed my first AG beer which is now in the fermenter I was a bit apprehensive about doing it as I imagined all grain being really a bit complicated but once I started I don't know why I was worried at all

I reckon it was the easiest brew I've ever done if anyone is thinking about doing all grain do it I can't wait till I'm poring a pint of it

I know the feeling 🙂 AG brewing was a little bit like alchemy you know. Turning grain into gold or beer in this case 🙂 

In the end, it was all half as bad as I thought and I have never looked back.

Welcome to the club.

• Like 4

I acquired a few cans a while ago on the cheap so why not throw them together to get something of a vintage ale. She's going to be bitter but hopefully over time ageing that will mellow out. Good to go for winter.

I'm thinking of chucking in a keg with some sugar to naturally carbonate. 

IMG_20231229_170557_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I acquired a few cans a while ago on the cheap so why not throw them together to get something of a vintage ale. She's going to be bitter but hopefully over time ageing that will mellow out. Good to go for winter.

That's gonna be a pearler Paley, you will need to strap in before you sample it, it may give you wings.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I reckon it will be great.  It looks like you mixed it to 20 litres.  Expect about 100 IBU and 8% ABV.

Similar to the Coopers recipes:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I reckon it will be great.  It looks like you mixed it to 20 litres.  Expect about 100 IBU and 8% ABV.

Similar to the Coopers recipes:

Yep I'm definitely expecting those figures Shamus. I think it would be better bottled but I cant be arsed, so I'll have a crack at naturally conditioning in a keg. I'll have the trub at first with the pour but that will clean up.

• Like 4

Wychwood Hobgoblin - Ruby Ale.  Back to my usual 30 litre batch, including 22 litres of concentrated wort that I add 8 litres of water to in the fermenter.

Aiming for a 5.1% ABV beer.  33 IBU.  Colour should be 27 EBC.

• 5.6kg Barret Burston Vic Pale Malt
  • 290g Crystal Malt
  • 250g Acidulated Malt
  • 240g Carapils
  • 160g Chocolate Malt
  • 43g Styrian Golding First Wort hop for 11 IBU
  • 25g Fuggle First Wort hop for 9 IBU
  • 19g Fuggle 30 minute boil for 6 IBU
  • 13g Styrian Golding 30 minute boil for 3 IBU
  • 20g Fuggle 30 minute hopstand at 90 for 3 IBU
  • 17g Styrian Golding 30 minute hopstand at 90 for 2 IBU
  • Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell yeast

Ended up falling a little short on the OG before adding the top-up water into the FV.  Therefore, I just added a little less water, so that I got the actual OG I was expecting (1.053).

About to add the 30 minute addition.  I now use my hop spider once the hop additions get above about 50 grams.  The first 50g or so go in commando.  The rest go in the hop sock, so they are contained and do not clog the pump.

IMG_4183.JPG.85acb8d77e1bedd1ca28434bbf66d859.JPG

Starting the hopstand

IMG_4184.thumb.JPG.3d31dce837e93e76a123615a6a1b3091.JPG

Starting transfer to fermenter - Look at the lovely colour

IMG_4185.thumb.JPG.0e47d1dd0b5ecbc3a7de99e8f7f192ba.JPG

I did not get a great photo, but this is the first time I got a reasonable hop cone formed in the bottom of the brew kettle.

IMG_4193.thumb.JPG.051bf8597dc1bcc86da95f044cc7f88b.JPG

• Like 8

Knocked this together yesterday i think i was one or two points high and i am  giving the new world strong ale yeast ago instead of 05. Smells good! With the brooklyn/moutere hops i went mainly late due to the high alpha acid to get more hops into it!

IMG_6670.png

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 5