Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Another Part-Gyle brew day on Friday (just 3 days ago).  Link to the previous brew day.

I was planning a IIIPA and thought I would have another go at this method where you mash a very high gravity beer, drain off the wort, then add more water to the "spent" grain to make a much lower ABV beer.

It worked out fairly well.  Some of my volumes were off.  But the gravities were pretty close.  However, IT TOOK AGES.  Based on my 2 experiences with this process, I doubt I would do it again.  It might be nice to get a 3.5% beer out of grains that have already given you a 1.093 OG brew.  But the volume of the heavy brew is usually much lower than otherwise possible.  In this case 15 litres compared to 20-23 litres.   I had to make recipe adjustments on the fly to account for the somewhat unknown volumes.  7am start and 9pm finish.  This does not include preparation time the day before to change my garage into a brew house and crush the grains.

Not sure I should give recipe numbers, because it can be misleading.  However, here goes:

Super Juicy Nectaron Hazy IIIPA - Based on a recipe by the Youtuber on his channel TheApartmentBrewer

• 7kg Coopers Pale Malt
  • 1kg Quick Oats
  • 740g Dextrose (adjusted to 680g from the original 1kg in the recipe to account for eventual FV volume being less AND then upped to 740g because it was what I had leftover in the bag)
  • Hopefully 10.1% ABV (OG 1.093; FG 1.010)
  • For hops, I made some adjustments from the original recipe, to account for actual preboil volume, expected IBU around 80
  • 35g Nectaron 60 minute boil 41 IBU
  • 25g Nectaron 20 minute boil 19 IBU
  • 25g Nectaron 10 minute boil 13 IBU
  • 40g Nectaron 20 minute Hopstand at 80°C 6 IBU
  • Planning a dry hop of of 120g Nectaron
  • I did a yeast starter using Mangrove Jacks M66 Hophead yeast - It is supposed to be good for high ABV beers
  • Volume into FV 15 litres

Second runnings - Light Hazy Pale Ale

• 7kg Coopers Pale Malt - Re-rinsed the spent grains - Actually mashed for 30 minutes because I was making recipe adjustments and stuff during this time
  • 1kg Quick Oats - Re-rinsed the spent grains - Actually mashed for 30 minutes because I was making recipe adjustments and stuff during this time
  • No  Dextrose
  • Expecting around 3.5% ABV (OG 1.034; FG 1.008)
  • IBU around 16
  • 4g Centennial 60 minute boil 5 IBU
  • 4g Centennial 20 minute boil 4 IBU
  • 4g Centennial 10 minute boil 2 IBU
  • 25g Centennial 20 minute Hopstand at 80°C 5 IBU
  • Planning a dry hop of of 25g Centennial
  • I did a yeast starter using Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast
  • Volume into FV 18 litres 

If it is any indication of the complexity of this brew, here is a photo of the additions across both brews

IMG_4119.thumb.JPG.5c084e0492d49a8c787ec34f939a7050.JPG

Very busy looking recipe Shamus. Looks awesome.

• Thanks 1

I brewed my first AG beer which is now in the fermenter I was a bit apprehensive about doing it as I imagined all grain being really a bit complicated but once I started I don't know why I was worried at all

I reckon it was the easiest brew I've ever done if anyone is thinking about doing all grain do it I can't wait till I'm poring a pint of it

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I brewed my first AG beer which is now in the fermenter I was a bit apprehensive about doing it as I imagined all grain being really a bit complicated but once I started I don't know why I was worried at all

I reckon it was the easiest brew I've ever done if anyone is thinking about doing all grain do it I can't wait till I'm poring a pint of it

Pics?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Once you master it, it is very easy, just takes longer, need more equipment, more preparation & cleaning up, but the end result is all worth it. The beer tastes so much better & it also improves as you find new skills to shorten brew day. I couldn't even imagine going back to k & k but that doesn't mean I am saying anything against it either. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Nah didn't take any only thought about it after I finished it was pretty happy with myself only missed OG by I point 1.041 instead of 1.042

Was 2 litres short but I know exactly why

Fair enough. What system do you use? Recipe and all that?

On 12/14/2023 at 3:42 PM, Oldbloke said:

I'll put this in tomorrow if I have time. 

Pretty simple.  Strange but true, in abt 35 years of brewing I have never done the Irish Stout. I must be slipping. 😃

I only have about 70 stubbies of stout in storage now, so I think it's time.

Resized_20231214_151144.jpeg

Well, this went in yesterday. Sanitised the barrel using bleach/chlorine, so, all good there. 😉

Added 100gr of corn syrup which i put in all my brews now.

And added 160gr of LDM I had sitting there waiting to be used.

And of course the 1kg of amber malt pictured.

Tossed in the can yeast at abt 25.5c. Just check not long ago and its going crazy. 

Inkbird is set for 19c +-1c

I figure it will be about 4.8% abv give or take which is heavy enough for me.

Stubbies will be spotless as a few I've had in long term storage will get the treatment from the dish washer in a few days. 😇

Just got to wait about 6-7 months now. 😊 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Once you master it, it is very easy, just takes longer, need more equipment, more preparation & cleaning up, but the end result is all worth it. The beer tastes so much better & it also improves as you find new skills to shorten brew day. I couldn't even imagine going back to k & k but that doesn't mean I am saying anything against it either. 

I haven't mastered it and honestly it was easy as I was cleaning as I went and it was actually a relaxing brew day

Now just to start experimenting with recipes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I haven't mastered it and honestly it was easy as I was cleaning as I went and it was actually a relaxing brew day

Now just to start experimenting with recipes 

Keep us posted with all your next up and coming all grains. Photos, recipes and all that. Very interested to see how you go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Well, this went in yesterday. Sanitised the barrel using bleach/chlorine, so, all good there. 😉

Added 100gr of corn syrup which i put in all my brews now.

And added 160gr of LDM I had sitting there waiting to be used.

And of course the 1kg of amber malt pictured.

Tossed in the can yeast at abt 25.5c. Just check not long ago and its going crazy. 

Inkbird is set for 19c +-1c

I figure it will be about 4.8% abv give or take which is heavy enough for me.

Stubbies will be spotless as a few I've had in long term storage will get the treatment from the dish washer in a few days. 😇

Just got to wait about 6-7 months now. 😊 

Sounds good OB.

What do you think the corn syrup adds to your brews?

I noticed that Gav on the Home Brew Network YouTube channel is planning to do a Mexican Lager soon using supermarket Polenta as his source of corn.  That sounded much cheaper than buying flaked corn or similar from a brew shop.  I await his video with interest.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

@Shamus O'Sean is the time due to having to do two full brews consecutively or could you cut down the brew day time spent by adding another person to help or another brewing vessel to brew them (almost) concurrently?

Hey NB09 - If I had a second system it would help speed things up by doing some steps at the same time.  A helper would be handy.  However, brewing tends to involve a flurry of activity for short periods.  Followed by waiting.  A helper could get bored.  Plus, when I have visitors on brew day, I tend to do more talking than brewing and I can get behind.

I also had a morning appointment that took me away for a while when the first mash was underway.  Stopped for lunch and dinner.  SO not all work, that's for sure. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sounds good OB.

What do you think the corn syrup adds to your brews?

I've been adding Maltodextrin to my brews for a while, some brew shops label it as Corn Syrup in brackets.

From the Web..

INCREASE THE THICKNESS OF YOUR BEER Maltodextrin DE17 (Corn Syrup) is a common, natural ingredient used to enhance body, mouthfeel, and head retention.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I've been adding Maltodextrin to my brews for a while, some brew shops label it as Corn Syrup in brackets.

From the Web..

INCREASE THE THICKNESS OF YOUR BEER Maltodextrin DE17 (Corn Syrup) is a common, natural ingredient used to enhance body, mouthfeel, and head retention.

Thx @DavidM

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Working title: AI Pale Ale.
I had a play with ChatGPT yesterday to create a fruity pale ale recipe with a subdued bitterness. It’ll be for the father in law, so it it doesn’t work out, it isn’t my problem 😂

IMG_9713.thumb.jpeg.1868bc3effda4b9069031e909310a1f5.jpeg

Hi AK, Have you got the Brewzilla dialled in yet?  This must be brew 3 or 4?

I am sooo envious.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi AK, Have you got the Brewzilla dialled in yet?  This must be brew 3 or 4?

I am sooo envious.

Yeah, I think it was Brew 4. I'm still working on things here and there but slowly but surely, I think I'm getting somewhere. I ran into an issue today trying to send a new profile to it but I managed to get my way around a little. Efficiency is getting better but I'm not quite there. I'll try a slightly finer mill next time to see if this helps. Today, pre-boil SG was one point above the estimate but looking at the results I got from the Guten, spot-on pre-boil SG usually meant a few points below the estimated OG. Don't ask me why. I haven't taken an OG sample yet. I'll do that when I put it into the FV tomorrow. 

At this point, I like the size and all, it's well built and with the heat exchanger plate, I don't get those ridiculous temperature fluctuations. The other nigglies I am having will hopefully go away, once I have figured out all the quirks 🙂 

The next batch will be fairly straight forward but the one after that will be an interesting test. A Doppelbock with an 8kg grain bill. 

• Like 7

Recipe: Low Alcohol Lager 
Style: Light Australian Lager
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.033 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 13.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          83.3 %        1.63 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          16.7 %        0.33 L        
12.00 g          Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           3          13.1 IBUs     -             

Nova Lager Yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, category 5 said:
Recipe: Low Alcohol Lager 
Style: Light Australian Lager
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.033 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 13.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          83.3 %        1.63 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          16.7 %        0.33 L        
12.00 g          Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           3          13.1 IBUs     -             

Nova Lager Yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@category 5 , looks very XXXX gold-ish.

• Like 1

Hey Brewers,

First Brew other than FWK for almost 12 months and my first AG since early 2022.

I went with 4kg of Ale Malt, 500 g of Munich, 250g of Medium Crystal and 150 g of Acidulated Malt. Eldorado and Cascade hops and BRY-97.  This was my longest brew day ever, the motor or controller on my grain mill gave up the ghost and afterpersisting with differing power sources for over an hour I eventually had to improvise with my 18v Makita. Turns out the battery drill, once it was charged up, is a better option so I won't be replacing the motor. 

Didn't hit many targets with this BIAB as I was pretty rusty on temps for strike water and volumes ect. The good news is I have a brew fermenting so it is good to be back on the brewing horse so to speak.

Cheers

Scottie

• Like 5