Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

I could not see a new thread for this year so going to start one off.

Link to last years thread is HERE.

Another ‘Back to the Future’ brew day for me on Thursday. Batch #94.

1 x 1.7 kg tin of Cooper’s Innkeeper’s Daughter.

1 x 1.5 kg tin of Cooper’s Liquid Amber Malt.

500 g Coopers Light Dry Malt.

Mini-mash of

250 g Carapils malt

250 g Maris Otter malt

250 g Light Crystal malt.

Mash was 10 L filtered rain water at 45 C for 20’ then 63 C for 60 minutes.

Dry hop of 25 Mosaic at around day 5 for 2 days.

Yeast was whole trub of previous Back to the Future brew (batch #93) i.e. a dirty batch in the Coopers FV.

• Like 6

Coopers Super Slurper Hazy IPA

First time attempting a ROTM - I usually just make up my own recipes/cheat off others …

No photos, but had to do a steep of 250g Golden naked oats. Pretty basic extract brew otherwise. Had to reduce the gap in the grain mill as the oats are tiny.

So much quicker than my usual brew day, so that was nice. Even managed to bake a loaf of bread at the same time!

Fermenting at 19 degrees C. Will attempt to have an early slurp on this one while those yummy hops are still present.

Happy new year to you all.

Cheers, Tone 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Mash out on the 2nd batch is underway. It’s running very clear. I’m glad it out lots of rice hulls into the mash as it was a fairly thick affair. Hard to stir.

45023FDD-810F-41C8-95E7-5E8E560DA6CD.thumb.jpeg.10108e4eb538e17cfe9b5eec650e8e7c.jpeg

Of course it was supposed to read "I'm glad I added lots of rice hulls". Bloody autocorrect on the phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Recipe: Aussie Wheat

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated Color: 6.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          50.0 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.63 L        
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          9.7 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Ella [14.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90.2 Hop           4          9.6 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           5          10.7 IBUs     -             
10.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          5.1 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Bavarian Wheat Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M20)      Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 8

A 20 litre stove-top AG NZ pale ale went down today.  Thought I'd try using pilsner malt as the base this time:

• 3kg GF Pilsner Malt
  • 400g GF Supernova Malt
  • 250g Sugar
  • 25g Pacific Jade @25mins
  • 20g Taiheke @10mins
  • 30g Taiheke Steep/Whirlpool
  • 50g Taiheke DH
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

• Like 10

On 1/11/2023 at 2:44 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good RD, my shed is too low for one of those, so I am going to have to get some sort of frame built.

What's wrong with the 'ye ole frame ya got'?  From all reports you are 6ft 2 inches.  Surely that is big enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

What's wrong with the 'ye ole frame ya got'?  From all reports you are 6ft 2 inches.  Surely that is big enough.

Yes Al, I am 6'2" - have been most of my life 🤭 it is only because of my shoulder that I need to try & erect a pulley system to help with lifting the malt pipe.

I can't do it inside, possibly could in the brick wall under the back verandah but if I built something out there it could be left there until brew day, it just means I could complete everything up to cubing the wort & store that in the laundry.

• Like 3

Made this last night it’s actually Gash’s recipe but changed a couple of things the scale of the recipe, acid malt and I’m using trusty old southern German lager yeast which is firing up in a starter from the previous harvest. Making it for my mate so will be interested to see if it tastes anything like VB! I cubed it so I put the bittering hop in at 45 and por at 5!

BDCB2B55-8E21-4A7D-AC7C-8B27EA55EEF5.jpeg

• Like 7

I did another Coopers Original Pale Ale clone today.

1549720390_COPARecipe1.jpg.0be75f46c7325d6cf44a32d953c8c730.jpg

830224934_COPARecipe2.jpg.7aef9cc786141bce3204aae55696dc41.jpg

I hit the numbers almost spot on today.  OG into the FV was off by 1 point: 1.041 instead of 1.042.

The heat (35°C) made it not a pleasant brewday, but at least I was in the shade inside the garage.

As discussed previously, today I tried a hopstand addition of Pride of Ringwood to try to bring out a fruitiness that I noticed in the commercial version that was not in my previous clone.

Pic of transferring to the FV.

This is my fourth and last brew with this Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast harvest.  First up was the 2022 Vintage Ale, then a Original Pale Ale, next a Sparkling Ale and then this COPA.

IMG_3568.JPG.f237cadb1c77fc09f517335dcd30d931.JPG

• Like 14

15 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Made this last night it’s actually Gash’s recipe but changed a couple of things the scale of the recipe, acid malt and I’m using trusty old southern German lager yeast which is firing up in a starter from the previous harvest. Making it for my mate so will be interested to see if it tastes anything like VB! I cubed it so I put the bittering hop in at 45 and por at 5!

@RDT2 RD, please let us know how this turns out - keep us posted - many thanks.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mickep said:

@RDT2 RD, please let us know how this turns out - keep us posted - many thanks.

Sure mate no worries! I think I might keep a couple of litres for my self anyway as my stocks are lower than I thought!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, RDT2 said:

@RDT2 If I may offer a couple of suggestion, Change the style in your software from Ale to Lager.  The amount of crystal maybe a tad high too.  Having made many VB clones myself now I know you need add some dex or white sugar for an aussie style lager and drop the ale malt down accordingly to get your required ABV.  Otherwise it looks ok for a 4.1% ABV clone. 

Does Gash put sugar in his?

• Like 1