Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

I know it’s not recommended but I’d much rather do that than waste a load of water, even if that’s not an issue where I am. Is there really a big risk of infection? There’s not too much airborne dirt here that I’m aware of… In any case, when I first started home brew in the early 80s we just had a towel over the FV, no airlock etc.

When I first got my BewZilla I used every bit that come with it, including the immersion cooler & I was horrified at the amount of water it used so now I just cube the brew & allow it to cool overnight in the laundry on the tiled floor.

As yours has been in a sanitary environment to cook, I personally can't see any harm in it, @Pezzza leaves his in the kitchen with a towel on it & sometimes a fan to cool it. His climate would be far different to mine. Others may beg to differ.

My opinion is it wouldn't be much different to practicing the "dirty batch"

I agree with you making brew day simpler, I don't use the re-circ arm or top plate & have even bought the pro screen.

To me cubing is a lot simpler. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

I managed to pack 6 pints of Guinness in during the Ireland v France rugby (excellent match BTW) and had the sense not to carry on with the brew after I staggered home (on the train I hasten to add). As Pezzza would say, I went home on a wobbly boot 🤣

Sainter, only 6 pints. Harden up mate. While living in London, a mate of mine took me to a Harlequins game at "The Stoop" in Twickenham. Pre drinks at the The Cabbage pub and then 9 pints at the ground. Let's just say the trip home was not memorable. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 2/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, Malter White said:

I haven't had any issues with poor head retention using two tins of WW LARGER. It's basically just liquid malt extract and probably not much else, hence why it's rather flavourless but all that malt makes for decent head retention I've found.
I am not going to tell you not to use tinned fruit because it did make a beer I quite enjoyed but I'm no longer using fruit myself because I found I can get a very similar result using Galaxy hops and for me adding hops is less mucking about than adding fruit.
All the best with your brew.

Cheers mate, the sacrifices we make in the name of beer science 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Sainter, only 6 pints. Harden up mate. While living in London, a mate of mine took me to a Harlequins game at "The Stoop" in Twickenham. Pre drinks at the The Cabbage pub and then 9 pints at the ground. Let's just say the trip home was not memorable. 😂 

Sorry mate, will only quote quantities if I make double figures 🤣

• Haha 2

On 2/12/2023 at 11:13 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Just a little exBEERiment using different specialty malts in a lager. I normally keep lagers simple but I'm hoping for a nice full body with a coppery colour.  -

Caramunich II goes well in the lagers I make, certainly gives them a rich golden colour and nice flavour.  Your beer should be excellent.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, stquinto said:

I know it’s not recommended but I’d much rather do that than waste a load of water, even if that’s not an issue where I am. Is there really a big risk of infection? There’s not too much airborne dirt here that I’m aware of… In any case, when I first started home brew in the early 80s we just had a towel over the FV, no airlock etc.

That’d make a brew day easier…

Any thoughts ?

Should be OK, John Palmer describes this process in his book and I have certainly done it hundreds of times in years gone by, back when pouring boiling water over everything was used as a sanitiser.  Always used to just let it sit in the pot and wait until a reasonable pitching temp was reached as it was the only option back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big day at the office today kegged my 28litres of Aussie Lager I brewed the other week as the one I made previously was bloody awesome. My mate loved it that much he said he had to hold himself back as he felt like a glass at breakfast!  (I have him a keg) I also made a Nail Red today from Brewfather except I used Simcoe instead of Citra! Can’t wait for that it was a nice colour! Didn’t quite get 1.058 I think I had 1.050 but probably better for the yeast anyway and not fussed!

631029D5-22CB-4EF6-9AD1-E85FB2C2F29C.png

5B6E479C-8BC3-4A79-BA70-D5619C924C26.jpeg

CEDCBA1D-38FD-4C8D-B7B9-A2090FF45B4E.jpeg

93CBE8AB-C170-4FD0-A22C-BFE155C03C4F.jpeg

• Like 8

On 2/13/2023 at 7:43 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

To me cubing is a lot simpler. 

Great way to cool your wort Phil if you're not happy with your cooling methods. I'm looking at going to that method again. The only thing is you have to change your late hop schedule to suit. If you hop at 10 minutes for flavour, the hop bitterness would change for cubing if you let it cool overnight, so you have to factor that in. I dont brew big hoppy beers so its not a concern for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Great way to cool your wort Phil if you're not happy with your cooling methods. I'm looking at going to that method again. The only thing is you have to change your late hop schedule to suit. If you hop at 10 minutes for flavour, the hop bitterness would change for cubing if you let it cool overnight, so you have to factor that in. I dont brew big hoppy beers so its not a concern for me. 

Yeah, I understand, it's something that I probably I probably don't have completely right ATM but I will study up on it a bit more.

The last couple of brews still had a hop presence though.

• Like 4

On 2/11/2023 at 5:14 PM, Cheap Charlie said:

Hopefully what I am about to post here doesn't tarnish the good name of this thread and earn me a lifetime ban 😬.  For the second brew of the day, I decanted the Coopers APA "farmhouse" ale from the fermenter with the kveik voss cake into a keg and made up a brew which I have been wanting to try for ages - The Woolies Larger Toucan. I mixed this with 1kg of ultra brew and 200g of light crystal steeped at 75ºC; my thoughts here are to create some head as I know this brew will likely be headless. I know, lipstick on a pig. This will be dirty batch #3 over this cake. Once fermentation is done I will add some tins of homebrand passionfruit and some frozen mango as done by this bloke from Townsville. The SG was 1.060 so with the fruit I'm expecting abv to be around 7%.  Apparently there is a Woolies Larger Appreciation Society group on FB, but I haven't read it as I'm not a FB user. Thanks also to @Malter White for the inspiration. If this batch goes ok I will harvest the yeast and wash it, dry it and freeze it  (link thanks to @beach_life).

p.s. I mixed up the brew and found some mold on the airlock so I rinsed it with hot water and sanitised it, the rest of the batch was made with clean but not sanitised gear 😬 Crossed fingers this doesn't end up in the fail thread.

WARNING! WARNING!
Hey Charlie, I know you've thrown the WW LARGER on to a previous yeast cake and a good thing too. I've used the Woolies tins with harvested CCA yeast and it was fine. Nice beer in fact.
However, I'm now trying to drink another version where I used the WW kit yeast x 2. It's pretty bad. I'm having flashbacks to a beer I've previously maligned on here - Hoegaarden. Perhaps I've worked out Hoegaarden's secret? They use WW yeast. It's sh1t.
So to anyone considering using Woolies tins - get a decent yeast for them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, Malter White said:

WARNING! WARNING!
Hey Charlie, I know you've thrown the WW LARGER on to a previous yeast cake and a good thing too. I've used the Woolies tins with harvested CCA yeast and it was fine. Nice beer in fact.
However, I'm now trying to drink another version where I used the WW kit yeast x 2. It's pretty bad. I'm having flashbacks to a beer I've previously maligned on here - Hoegaarden. Perhaps I've worked out Hoegaarden's secret? They use WW yeast. It's sh1t.
So to anyone considering using Woolies tins - get a decent yeast for them.

haha I know what you mean. One of my early brews was a woolies draught with 1kg homebrand sugar as per the tin instructions. I had to man up to drink the stuff, pretty terrible 😂. This one seems to have finished around 1.020, well the kveik voss seems to have had enough so I "dry" hopped it with 4 tins of passionfruit and 25g of galaxy. I forgot to get the frozen mango when at the store 🙄. So far it tastes not sour, but like unsweetened fruit juice with a little bitterness on the back end. The additions seem to have masked any twang but will have to wait and see of course. These were tins I got last year on special for $8.80 each so I couldn't resist. My best brew was the woolies lager with 1kg ultra brew and dry hopped with galaxy and US-05, surprisingly tasty even my mates approved 😂. I haven't had a hoegaarden in years, maybe I will grab one to do a comparison 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Malter, you must really hate it! but then I hate a few others too 🤣

It was dreadful! I bought one for a mate too and he couldn't finish his because it was so bad. I finished mine only because of the price I paid for it. I should have just saved the Greek economy instead with the amount it cost.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Malter White great advise there if you are not going to re use another yeast dont bother.  If you have to pay for a specialty yeast its probably not worth the cheap tin. 

As we know coopers themselves are changing yeasts in tins so do the research before hand if about money.

I couldn't agree more, UOB. As a world class cheapskate I'm all over the reusing yeast scene. In 5 years of home brewing I've never bought additional yeast before, only ever used Coopers included sachet's and Coopers commercial yeast harvested from Pale Ale stubbies. I'm tighter than a Westfield carpark space. 😄 

• Haha 10

Beer time

Recipe: Saison Session Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 55.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          60.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          20.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
5.00 ml          Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           4          22.0 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Ella [14.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90.2 Hop           5          17.8 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 mi Hop           6          15.6 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Farmhouse    (Lallemand/Danstar #-)              Yeast         7          -             -             

---------------------------------
  • Like 11

On 2/1/2023 at 9:15 AM, beach_life said:
Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 10.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 62.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          50.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          16.7 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          16.7 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         4          16.7 %        0.65 L        
25.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           5          22.8 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Ella [14.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90.2 Hop           6          13.5 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           7          15.0 IBUs     -             
15.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           8          7.1 IBUs      -             
15.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           9          4.1 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How did this turn out or is it the one with the tired yeast?