Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

Brew day was a Samuel Smiths Boston Lager, chilly enough to ferment at lager yeast temps (11 - 13C). I upped the hops a bit, fingers crossed 🤞 

A Battleship bitter afterwards, outstanding beer!  And a Christmas tree for the Bunker 😊

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0767.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

BREW DAY - CLASSIC PALE ALE

Mashing in at 65c Pilsner (Pale Malt) - Barret Burston x 250gm, Wheat Malt - Wheat Malt - Barret Burston x 250gm, Carapils x 300gm.

This is a bit of a mismatch to use up partial stocks, I will be using 100gms of Wai-iti hops 30mins into the boil & Nottingham Yeast.

Cheers.

mash65c.thumb.jpg.3c696812bb8a8655acf325e2ae97c09b.jpg

WA-ITI.thumb.jpg.4aaa0edc37ac3df8e6aeec1c4fff924b.jpg

They reckon 1/2 whirlfloc tablet for 23 litres how much do you use?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

They reckon 1/2 whirlfloc tablet for 23 litres how much do you use?

I have always used 1 x tablet whole, just chuck it in with 5 minutes left to boil.

Here's some info for the benefit of those who don't know about them.

Whirlfloc is a blend of Irish Moss and purified Carrageenan.

Whirlfloc helps to flocculate proteins and particles that cause cloudiness / haze in your beer.

• Like 3

For an extract brew, is there any harm in boiling the water in the kettle before pouring it into the pot on the hot plate so that it’s at boiling temp in the pot quicker? My little camp hot plate takes a long time to heat water from room temp to boiling 😅 just looking to save a bit of time.

(the boil is for some liquid malt and hops)

The recipe is “The Hoff” Hefeweizen.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

For an extract brew, is there any harm in boiling the water in the kettle before pouring it into the pot on the hot plate so that it’s at boiling temp in the pot quicker? My little camp hot plate takes a long time to heat water from room temp to boiling 😅 just looking to save a bit of time.

I wouldn't think you would do any harm as you are going to bring it up to boil anyway, how long did you intend to boil it for?

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I wouldn't think you would do any harm as you are going to bring it up to boil anyway, how long did you intend to boil it for?

This may be of some help. Sorry about the ink colour.

Bring 6-7 litres of water to the boil in a kettle or pot. Add the malt extract, stirring in immediately and taking care not to allow any to sit on the bottom of the pot and burn as discussed above. Get all of this to a gently rolling boil and add 10 grams of your chosen hops. Start a countdown timer for 20 minutes.

4 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

@Classic Brewing Co its supposed to be on the boil for 20 mins. It just would take me 3 mins to get the water to temp in the kettle as opposed to 30 mins in the pot. Once its boiled and the pot heats up a bit, should be right there for the boil and adding the extract and hops anyways.

thanks mate!

All good.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

Yes you can do that for sure I usually use hot tap water which is around 46c to get it to boil quicker

When I do my first all grain I'm going to use hot tap water to sparge all it means is it will take a bit longer to get to the boil

Once your water is boiling the heat is doing what is supposed to do 

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mashing in at 65c Pilsner (Pale Malt) - Barret Burston x 250gm, Wheat Malt - Wheat Malt - Barret Burston x 250gm, Carapils x 300gm.

This is a bit of a mismatch to use up partial stocks, I will be using 100gms of Wai-iti hops 30mins into the boil & Nottingham Yeast.

Cheers.

1.6 kilo of grain, is that the whole recipe Phil?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Ha Ha, I couldn't edit after I realised it should have said; 😬

(Pale Malt) - Barret Burston x 250kg, Wheat Malt - Barret Burston x 250kg, Carapils x 300gm.

Total grain bill 5.3kg.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

(Pale Malt) - Barret Burston x 250kg, Wheat Malt - Barret Burston x 250kg, Carapils x 300gm.

Total grain bill 5.3kg.

I see where you are now, had me stumped with your first post why youd only mash 1.6 kilo of grain.

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers.

Make sure you keep the recipe. Some of those concoctions are quite nice 🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Total grain bill 5.3kg.

500.3kg is a little much for a 35l BrewZilla 😂

SCNR

• Haha 2