Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Yeah OK anyway @Shamus O'Sean my query is how does beersmith know how to suggest your water treatment? Do you upload your water report or just put in your state/city?

I do not know how Beersmith does it.  I had Beersmith for a year and then I discovered BrewFather.  I find BrewFather easier to use, so I let my Beersmith account lapse.  I was not doing water additions back then, so that's why I do not know how BS does it.

If it is like BrewFather, I suspect you have to find out your local water's mineral content (by testing, getting water reports or reading what other people have adopted) then create that profile.  When setting up a recipe, you pick your source water, then your target water and click a button (in BF it is "Auto") and the program tells you what salt additions to add.

Most of the time I only add Gypsum (Calcium Sulphate); Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate); and Calcium Chloride using the Auto button.  I also add the Sodium Metabisulfite to my Mash and Sparge water at a dosage rate of around 25ppm.  So around 0.5g per 20 litres.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I do not know how Beersmith does it.  I had Beersmith for a year and then I discovered BrewFather.  I find BrewFather easier to use, so I let my Beersmith account lapse.  I was not doing water additions back then, so that's why I do not know how BS does it.

If it is like BrewFather, I suspect you have to find out your local water's mineral content (by testing, getting water reports or reading what other people have adopted) then create that profile.  When setting up a recipe, you pick your source water, then your target water and click a button (in BF it is "Auto") and the program tells you what salt additions to add.

Most of the time I only add Gypsum (Calcium Sulphate); Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate); and Calcium Chloride using the Auto button.  I also add the Sodium Metabisulfite to my Mash and Sparge water at a dosage rate of around 25ppm.  So around 0.5g per 20 litres.

Thanks for the heads up I actually meant brewfather in the mean time I'm still trying to work out to even use brewfather 

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 2

@Kegory and @Back Brewing, the hardest thing was finally settling on my local profile.  Based on the limited testing I did, looking at some water reports (which were mostly lacking in the information I wanted), and finding what others have used, I did some averages and said that's it, that's what I am sticking with.  The water is south east Melbourne is meant to be pretty stable, so I am happy to keep using the same base profile.  The rest, in my view, is easy with brewing software.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Kegory and @Back Brewing, the hardest thing was finally settling on my local profile.  Based on the limited testing I did, looking at some water reports (which were mostly lacking in the information I wanted), and finding what others have used, I did some averages and said that's it, that's what I am sticking with.  The water is south east Melbourne is meant to be pretty stable, so I am happy to keep using the same base profile.  The rest, in my view, is easy with brewing software.

Apparently, in the good old US of A the water companies have an obligation to provide water analysis reports to their customers. Not so here, it seems.

I've also been meaning to ask around my homebrew club about it. But you know how it goes, everybody's around drinking beer with so many things to talk about and I haven't got onto that subject yet. Maybe at the Christmas party?

But I'm glad you mentioned water and I like the way you built your water profile based on your testing and on other people's results near you. That's a good way to increase your sample size without having to spend too much time and effort testing samples by yourself.

• Like 2

@Kegory ,as your jact brewer most of the work has already been done for you with  the can of extract  and all your doing is basicly adding water

1/2 a camden tablet in some water  will  take away the chlorine and mask the chloromine   melbournes water is not really that harsh   
or just simply get a caravan filter   for extract brewing  as your not actually trying to create a brewing profile from scratch.

if you want to get your water tested  and create a water profile   Kegland offer this service   its not cheap   but  they will test your tap water    so then you can adjust to suit a profile.  

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/brewing-water-testing-service?_pos=1&_psq=water+testing&_ss=e&_v=1.0

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

@Kegory ,as your jact brewer most of the work has already been done for you with  the can of extract  and all your doing is basicly adding water

1/2 a camden tablet in some water  will  take away the chlorine and mask the chloromine   melbournes water is not really that harsh   
or just simply get a caravan filter   for extract brewing  as your not actually trying to create a brewing profile from scratch.

if you want to get your water tested  and create a water profile   Kegland offer this service   its not cheap   but  they will test your tap water    so then you can adjust to suit a profile.  

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/brewing-water-testing-service?_pos=1&_psq=water+testing&_ss=e&_v=1.0

That's madness paying that for water testing, you could by a Stainless-Steel Fermenter with heating for that!

I agree with you for an extract brewer it's not worth worrying about water profiles unless of course you are living in an area where the water is dodgy. With AG brewing it is as you say a bit more important to match a profile.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Yes, I understand that.

I couldn't get campden tablets, they were sold out. I use potassium metabisulphite (the active ingredient in campden tablets). I agree, dechlorinated Melbourne Water is almost naked.

Yes, I am aware that I can pay to get my water tested. Those API kits Shamus used are much cheaper.

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have done that before RD, not a bad drop. the hops are interesting.

Yeah @Classic Brewing Co, I was passing Country Brewer the other day and called in, haven’t brewed a Kolsch in a while.

‘Only thing was in the instructions it didn’t give you a water profile, as in Mash Water & Sparge Water calculations, checked on the Website and it didn’t give you them either. 🤷‍♂️

‘Anyway did my calcs in Brewfather and worked it out as I like to brew to around 3.5% to 4% ABV. 
‘Hot cubed the wort, just cooling on my work bench, transfer to fermenter tomorrow. 
It came with US-05 Yeast but I will change that out and use Kolsch Ale Yeast. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah @Classic Brewing Co, I was passing Country Brewer the other day and called in, haven’t brewed a Kolsch in a while.

‘Only thing was in the instructions it didn’t give you a water profile, as in Mash Water & Sparge Water calculations, checked on the Website and it didn’t give you them either. 🤷‍♂️

‘Anyway did my calcs in Brewfather and worked it out as I like to brew to around 3.5% to 4% ABV. 
‘Hot cubed the wort, just cooling on my work bench, transfer to fermenter tomorrow. 
It came with US-05 Yeast but I will change that out and use Kolsch Ale Yeast. 

I just followed the sheet instructions; I used Nottingham Ale Yeast & it was a nice drop.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

What does the leaving it uncovered overnight do to the water?

According to Gash it helps eliminate the chlorine & some others say sunlight does that but then you risk bugs etc.

So far what I have been doing seems to work & I really don't care or could be bothered with adding salts/chemicals etc. to the water.

For those that do, fine but I reckon my brews tastes fine.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

According to Gash it helps eliminate the chlorine & some others say sunlight does that but then you risk bugs etc.

So far what I have been doing seems to work & I really don't care or could be bothered with adding salts/chemicals etc. to the water.

For those that do, fine but I reckon my brews tastes fine.

OK, but I thought that with your Puratap system there would not be any chlorine in the filtered water, Puratap say that their system removes 99.9% of chlorine. I would think that leaving the water uncovered overnight you may get wild yeasts and other unwanted stuff in the water.

Anyway I guess that you have been doing it for many years and that it works for you.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

OK, but I thought that with your Puratap system there would not be any chlorine in the filtered water, Puratap say that their system removes 99.9% of chlorine. I would think that leaving the water uncovered overnight you may get wild yeasts and other unwanted stuff in the water.

Anyway I guess that you have been doing it for many years and that it works for you.

If he is talking all grain recepies then it's getting boiled? A way of sterilising any wild yeast etc? I figure there are small risks with everything considering today's standards to years gone by

• Like 2

I met a guy today a friend of my son who has invited me to his next brew day he has a triple hermus (I think that's how you spell it)system which he does Triple batches with 

Should be pretty interesting I'll be taking plenty of notes he said to ask any questions I have on the day.

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, kmar92 said:

What does the leaving it uncovered overnight do to the water?

Chlorine is volatile and will evaporate off. This is why many water suppliers add chloramine, it is not volatile and does not evaporate off.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I met a guy today a friend of my son who has invited me to his next brew day he has a triple hermus (I think that's how you spell it)system which he does Triple batches with 

Should be pretty interesting I'll be taking plenty of notes he said to ask any questions I have on the day.

That sounds interesting. Have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I have & never had a problem; the Pura Tap does a good job & I have fine mesh covers over the top of each fermenter.

The owner of a LBHS in Adelaide does the same thing & I have tried his AG beers out of the tap & they are good.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, kmar92 said:

The water does get boiled though. I almost always fill the kettle the evening before brew day to let the chlorine evaporate. Any nasties in the water will meet their maker when it is boiled, so before they can do anything bad 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kegory said:

Chlorine is volatile and will evaporate off. This is why many water suppliers add chloramine, it is not volatile and does not evaporate off.

Yes I am quite aware of that. @Classic Brewing Co is using filtered water from a Puratap system that is supposed to remove 99.9% of chlorine though, hence my question.

I am also aware that if doing an AG batch the wort will be boiled and therefore any wild yeast or other unwanted organisms will be destroyed in the boil. However I believe the same method of leaving the water uncovered overnight has/is being used for extract/partials etc and therefore any wild yeast or other organisms that are introduced overnight will be present during the ferment, that is my concern. My point is that I feel leaving the water uncovered overnight is a pretty superfluous operation and has a potential to introduce some unwanted organisms, to other than AG brews.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Yes I am quite aware of that. @Classic Brewing Co is using filtered water from a Puratap system that is supposed to remove 99.9% of chlorine though, hence my question.

I am also aware that if doing an AG batch the wort will be boiled and therefore any wild yeast or other unwanted organisms will be destroyed in the boil. However I believe the same method of leaving the water uncovered overnight has/is being used for extract/partials etc and therefore any wild yeast or other organisms that are introduced overnight will be present during the ferment, that is my concern. My point is that I feel leaving the water uncovered overnight is a pretty superfluous operation and has a potential to introduce some unwanted organisms, to other than AG brews.

With you on this @kmar92  if you're using that uncovered water for extract brewing where it doesn't get boiled. Ive started boiling my water and storing in cubes if I have a partial or extract brew on the cards. If all grain it matters not.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Maybe he is aiming to evaporate off the remaining 0.1%

• Haha 1