Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

16 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am starting a small stock of grain & today I collected this lot; I wanted to buy Coopers Malts but the other grain store was closed today.

25kg Pale Grain

4kg Pilsner

4kg Vienna

4kg Wheat

A few yeasts & I am ready to start a brew marathon, I have a nice stock of hops so no prisoners from now on.

malt.jpg

yeast.jpg

I have just been putting the grain into containers to protect it from the elements, Fermenters double as storage units when not in use. I have a few Sistema snap locks, but I will have to buy more or similar as I want to build up my grain store.

grain 2.jpg

grain store.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I'm putting this brew down tomorrow a recipe for Stone and Wood I found on another forum

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EB
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract (3.5 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (4.2 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale US05

Would I be correct in assuming the 20g of galaxy put in when I take it off the heat would be left in for 5 minutes ?

Anyone else have an opinion of how long I leave the last addition of Galaxy when taken off the heat before I take the hop bags out

The spread sheet doesn't work out the ibu if zero boil

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Anyone else have an opinion of how long I leave the last addition of Galaxy when taken off the heat before I take the hop bags out

The spread sheet doesn't work out the ibu if zero boil

Hi @Back Brewing, someone with more knowledge and experience will correct me, but as I understand it, hops need to be boiled to add bittering (which would be why the spreadsheet has nothing for a zero boil) anything after boiling will typically only add flavours and aromas. - YUM 😋 
A typical steep after flame out will be around the 15 to 30 minutes I suspect (but that’s my total guess)

Over to the brain trust for further (and correct and reliable) information 😉😂🤣😂 🍺🍺🍺

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hi @Back Brewing, someone with more knowledge and experience will correct me, but as I understand it, hops need to be boiled to add bittering (which would be why the spreadsheet has nothing for a zero boil) anything after boiling will typically only add flavours and aromas. - YUM 😋 
A typical steep after flame out will be around the 15 to 30 minutes I suspect (but that’s my total guess)

Over to the brain trust for further (and correct and reliable) information 😉😂🤣😂 🍺🍺🍺

I have less knowledge and experience so I'm not correcting you by any means but my understanding is that at over 80 degrees C the wort will extract the AA's from the hops. Of course, I may have that wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I have less knowledge and experience so I'm not correcting you by any means but my understanding is that at over 80 degrees C the wort will extract the AA's from the hops. Of course, I may have that wrong.

Thanks @Kegory all good, yep technically I think you are correct (below ~65C I think is the temp when bittering stops)

Here's a link from Beer Maverick with the technical info that might help us all and @Back Brewing

All About Hop Additions in Homebrewing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Thanks @Kegory all good, yep technically I think you are correct (below ~65C I think is the temp when bittering stops)

Here's a link from Beer Maverick with the technical info that might help us all and @Back Brewing

All About Hop Additions in Homebrewing

Thanks for that I'm going to put the last bag in when off the heat  After say 20 minutes I will take the hop bags out cool the wort and put liquid into the FV

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Adding them in the last 5 minutes is pretty usual in an AG recipe, most of them have at least 3 hop additions throughout the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Thanks for that I'm going to put the last bag in when off the heat  After say 20 minutes I will take the hop bags out cool the wort and put liquid into the FV

So @Back Brewing, Galaxy Hops are listed (Hops Chart) as being used for Aroma in typical beers styles of American Amber, American Pale Ale, providing a Fruity, Citrus, Stone Fruit Aromas.

So if the purpose of using Galaxy Hops is to impart aroma and flavours and given the previous info on the three temperature ranges that are used when whirlpooling hops, my suggestion (for what its worth, as I am a kit 'n bits sortta guy 😉) would be that you should be looking for a temp range of 71–76°C to add your bags of Galaxy Hops - The theory being is its just as important to get the right temp range as it is the duration for the steeping of hops.

Again, the Coopers Community Brains Trust (CCBT 😂) will steep in here if I have it wrong.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

So @Back Brewing, Galaxy Hops are listed (Hops Chart) as being used for Aroma in typical beers styles of American Amber, American Pale Ale, providing a Fruity, Citrus, Stone Fruit Aromas.

So if the purpose of using Galaxy Hops is to impart aroma and flavours and given the previous info on the three temperature ranges that are used when whirlpooling hops, my suggestion (for what its worth, as I am a kit 'n bits sortta guy 😉) would be that you should be looking for a temp range of 71–76°C to add your bags of Galaxy Hops - The theory being is its just as important to get the right temp range as it is the duration for the steeping of hops.

Again, the Coopers Community Brains Trust (CCBT 😂) will steep in here if I have it wrong.

"Dad joke" alert.

40 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That is exactly what I would do.

I've been having a look at dry hopping with galaxy and it seems they are good but for 4 to 5 days maximum

I'm seriously thinking about dry hopping with 20g or 30g four 4 days before I keg and bottle it

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I've been having a look at dry hopping with galaxy and it seems they are good but for 4 to 5 days maximum

I'm seriously thinking about dry hopping with 20g or 30g four 4 days before I keg and bottle it

Instead of the flame out hops or as well as?

3 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Thats all I ever do with extract brews; it is a waste of time boiling them to death & hoping the hop flavour will be there when fermentation is over.4 days is enough to leave you with a lovely hop 'attack' but IMO that mainly applies to kegging, it's a waste of time storing bottles of it otherwise the aroma/taste just fades away.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thats all I ever do with extract brews; it is a waste of time boiling them to death & hoping the hop flavour will be there when fermentation is over.4 days is enough to leave you with a lovely hop 'attack' but IMO that mainly applies to kegging, it's a waste of time storing bottles of it otherwise the aroma/taste just fades away.

How many grams of galaxy did you dry hop with and what type if beer?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Back Brewing said:

How many grams of galaxy did you dry hop with and what type if beer?

I always use a minimum of 50gms in a steep, I prefer to infuse the hops in a muslin cloth around 75c for half an hour.

I dry hop occasionally but these days, but I am thinking these days I will follow @Otto Von Blotto idea about just brewing just enough to fill the keg & then I don't have to worry about bottling & the hop reside floating around.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I always use a minimum of 50gms in a steep, I prefer to infuse the hops in a muslin cloth around 75c for half an hour.

I dry hop occasionally but these days, but I am thinking these days I will follow @Otto Von Blotto idea about just brewing just enough to fill the keg & then I don't have to worry about bottling & the hop reside floating around.

Yeah OK but my query is about using galaxy as a dry hop I know it is for bittering but it can also be used as a dry hop to bring out fruity flavours 

Has anyone actually used galaxy as a dry hop and how many grams did you use and what was the results?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Has anyone actually used galaxy as a dry hop and how many grams did you use and what was the results?

Yep, I used Galaxy as well as Topaz to dry hop a HOP SLAM IPA (AU).

I used 25g of each hop as per the Coopers recipe and loved the beer. !!

I dry hopped at day 4 of the ferment and then left them in the fermenter (in a muslin bag) for 3 days total (they recommend no more than 3 days for any dry hopping - 4 Popular Methods of Dry-Hopping Your Beer or here The Homebrewer’s Guide to Dry-Hopping), then cold crashed at 3 deg for two days and then packed in kegs - BEAUTIFUL - NUM, NUM, NUM.

If you like strong aroma and flavours like me, when I brew this recipe again (and I will), my notes say to double the dry hop volumes, so maybe start with 25g for this brew your making and see what you think. But I personally wanted more and Phil's @Classic Brewing Co is quite right, the hop aroma and flavours will dissipate over time (like quite quickly)

d76203cf7963776cdcc3ba42ac4f8bbf.jpg.b0371d2f3d80dbfd20d514af1fa422ee.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yep, I used Galaxy as well as Topaz to dry hop a HOP SLAM IPA (AU).

I used 25g of each hop as per the Coopers recipe and loved the beer. !!

I dry hopped at day 4 of the ferment and then left them in the fermenter (in a muslin bag) for 3 days total (they recommend no more than 3 days for any dry hopping - 4 Popular Methods of Dry-Hopping Your Beer or here The Homebrewer’s Guide to Dry-Hopping), then cold crashed at 3 deg for two days and then packed in kegs - BEAUTIFUL - NUM, NUM, NUM.

If you like strong aroma and flavours like me, when I brew this recipe again (and I will), my notes say to double the dry hop volumes, so maybe start with 25g for this brew your making and see what you think. But I personally wanted more and Phil's @Classic Brewing Co is quite right, the hop aroma and flavours will dissipate over time (like quite quickly)

d76203cf7963776cdcc3ba42ac4f8bbf.jpg.b0371d2f3d80dbfd20d514af1fa422ee.jpg

Thanks mate I still have 50g left of the galaxy I might throw them in for 3 days before kegging and bottling in a hop sock

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Back Brewing said:

Thanks mate I still have 50g left of the galaxy I might throw them in for 3 days before kegging and bottling in a hop sock

Good for you 👏 - good luck with that then @Back Brewing - sounds like a solid plan 👍 

Here's to lots of cold brews with punch ya in the dial taste and heavenly hop aromas for Chrissy then eh  😋😋 - WOOHOO 🥳🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Yeah OK but my query is about using galaxy as a dry hop I know it is for bittering but it can also be used as a dry hop to bring out fruity flavours 

I would say Galaxy is used more often as a dry hop addition than as a bittering hop as I gather even just a small amount adds a lot of bitterness (and funk!) I think this may be due to the high alpha acid levels it has?

As far as Dry hopping goes I have used it a few times, so far always 50g, and it is excellent. Super aromatic when the bottle is young but still stays quite strong as the bottle gets on in age (can’t vouch for kegging as I can’t do it yet but I’d gather the fresh aroma stays more consistently). So yes definitely go nuts with the dry hopping with it. I currently have a brew going that has a dry hop that includes 100g of galaxy amongst others, will report on how that goes in a few weeks.

Edited by NBillett09
  • Like 2