Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

3 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

So at 20c just sprinkle it on top and close her up?

You're talking about the wort, right, not the yeast?

I like to stir my wort* before I sprinkle the yeast then I just sprinkle the yeast from the outside working my way the the center and let the currents take care of the distribution. I then sprinkle to fill in the lighter coated sections.

But I don't think it's necessary to stir the wort.

*ducking my head, waiting for the incoming rocks to be thrown.

• Haha 1

Just now, Kegory said:

You're talking about the wort, right, not the yeast?

I like to stir my wort* before I sprinkle the yeast then I just sprinkle the yeast from the outside working my way the the center and let the currents take care of the distribution. I then sprinkle to fill in the lighter coated sections.

But I don't think it's necessary to stir the wort.

*ducking my head, waiting for the incoming rocks to be thrown.

I always create a whirlpool with the wort & sprinkle the yeast evenly.

Always works.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I've already give it a good stir before I put it in the fridge I need to know when I get it down to 20c do I have to stir it again or just open the lid pitch the yeast and close it up

At the moment it is 23c and decreasing

I give it repeated stirs to make sure the whole wort is at roughly the same temperature. If it's only been cooling or warming for a short amount of time then the outside is going to be a different temperature to the inside. I have the inkbird probe reading the outside temperature and I use a thermometer to measure the temperature closer to the center. When the measurements get very close to equal I pitch the yeast (in much the same way as Phil does, getting a whirlpool first).

1 minute ago, Kegory said:

I give it repeated stirs to make sure the whole wort is at roughly the same temperature. If it's only been cooling or warming for a short amount of time then the outside is going to be a different temperature to the inside. I have the inkbird probe reading the outside temperature and I use a thermometer to measure the temperature closer to the center. When the measurements get very close to equal I pitch the yeast (in much the same way as Phil does, getting a whirlpool first).

I admire your enthusiasm, but is that really necessary? After all your stirring etc, after a few hours it will still be back to different temps if it sits in a fridge or even outside of a fridge. The stirring may help with oxygenation of the wort (although Palmer says that is limited). The yeast will still fire up, without the stirring, and once the ferment is fully underway the yeast will create their own convection movement within the wort.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I admire your enthusiasm, but is that really necessary? After all your stirring etc, after a few hours it will still be back to different temps if it sits in a fridge or even outside of a fridge. The stirring may help with oxygenation of the wort (although Palmer says that is limited). The yeast will still fire up, without the stirring, and once the ferment is fully underway the yeast will create their own convection movement within the wort.

As I said up thread, I don't think it's necessary to stir the wort. However, I find the whirlpool and the swirl as I sprinkle the yeast quite entertaining.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Exciting times fellow brewers my first temp controlled brew just pitched the VARDENT IPA yeast ( first time I have tried this yeast ) I pitched it at 21c and will brew it at 21c

It's the CALI IPA 

20230925_200236.thumb.jpg.ad43e5180b27b7b05eafbb4493448f8c.jpg

Looks the goods. I'm quite interested in trying that recipe at some point, I hope you report back on the results.

Is Verdant a biotransformation yeast? Anyone?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Looks the goods. I'm quite interested in trying that recipe at some point, I hope you report back on the results.

Is Verdant a biotransformation yeast? Anyone?

In answer to my own question, yes it is (good for a hazy/NEIPA).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Exciting times fellow brewers my first temp controlled brew just pitched the VARDENT IPA yeast ( first time I have tried this yeast ) I pitched it at 21c and will brew it at 21c

It's the CALI IPA 

20230925_200236.thumb.jpg.ad43e5180b27b7b05eafbb4493448f8c.jpg

I brewed the Cali Coast IPA before. As I bought the ROTM pack it came with American Ale yeast. The beer turned out very nice and was very enjoyable. I did use Verdant IPA yeast before. I brewed an adaptation of the  ROTM Passion Peach Pale Ale. As I couldn't get the Mr.Beer North West Pale Ale I used a can of Coopers Original Pale Ale, LDM, some Carapils malt and Callista hops. It was a really nice beer, thinking about it now I might brew it again. The second time I used the Verdant yeast was in my Kingsley Ginger Beer, the "Ginger Fritz".  As I used more sugar than recommended and I had one getting old in the fridge I added it as well as I thought the extra yeast would help chewing through all the sugar, and the described flavor profile of "Prominent notes of apricot and undertones of tropical fruits and citrus" would compliment the ginger beer. I don't know for whichever reason, but it turned out sooo goood.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Well the Cali IPA is bubbling away I notice it started after 5 hour of pitching the yeast

When I looked an half hour ago I thought it didn't have a Krausen then I looked closer and the Krausen is actually really white and hard to see and a nice thicknesses 

Verdant is a beast. Very quick to start and pretty active. I like it because it brings some nice flavours to the party.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Verdant is a beast. Very quick to start and pretty active. I like it because it brings some nice flavours to the party.

I agree, it is a great yeast, lovely aromatic, citrus flavours, it also brews happily at ambient temps around 18-22c.

I have used it when the brew fridge is being used for another brew.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

How did your hop tea go?

I'm taking a different approach. I'm not boiling the alcohol off, I am trying to not have it produced in the first place. No tea is needed for this. I'm steeping the grains until tomorrow, then syphon the wort into the kettle and "mash" it, before boiling and hopping it. There won't be much sugar for the yeast to gobble. so little alcohol will be produced. Not as low alcohol as boiling it off but I should come in under 1.5%. We'll see what happens.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'm taking a different approach. I'm not boiling the alcohol off, I am trying to not have it produced in the first place. No tea is needed for this. I'm steeping the grains until tomorrow, then syphon the wort into the kettle and "mash" it, before boiling and hopping it. There won't be much sugar for the yeast to gobble. so little alcohol will be produced. Not as low alcohol as boiling it off but I should come in under 1.5%. We'll see what happens.

That's very interesting. According to an article I read (and posted) by Briess cold steeping does not add to gravity. It would be interesting to see your readings. If there are no sugars in the wort I reckon it'll definitely be low alcohol in the beer.

• Like 1