Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

I am a happy camper, a couple of days ago I said I was ready to start buying bulk grain to increase production then out of the blue a client from a large engineering firm contacted me & gave me a huge order for promo gear netting me a tidy sum.

Tomorrow I am off to the grain store to stock up, I wanted to order Coopers Malts, but the supplier will be closed due to a medical issue, so it will be a mixture of Joe White & Voyager from another source.

I have a few Sistema clip lock type storage containers, but I am thinking I could buy a couple of fermenters for storage instead of barrels that serve no other purpose, maybe even a 60l.

I will be taking a neighbour with me so we will call into Coopers Alehouse for a few beers after.

How long do you legends store your grain for?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am a happy camper, a couple of days ago I said I was ready to start buying bulk grain to increase production then out of the blue a client from a large engineering firm contacted me & gave me a huge order for promo gear netting me a tidy sum.

Tomorrow I am off to the grain store to stock up, I wanted to order Coopers Malts, but the supplier will be closed due to a medical issue, so it will be a mixture of Joe White & Voyager from another source.

I have a few Sistema clip lock type storage containers, but I am thinking I could buy a couple of fermenters for storage instead of barrels that serve no other purpose, maybe even a 60l.

I will be taking a neighbour with me so we will call into Coopers Alehouse for a few beers after.

My last bag of wheat and Munich would of been well over a year stored in the shed in plastic drums from Bunnings still seemed fresh!

• Like 4

Made an Aussie/German Lager today which is Gash’s Dave’s bitter except I used Simcoe for the initial bittering and por at the end. I am also using my southern German lager yeast starter pictured hence the intro. It will be good although I was 4 points high possibly due to well over two hour mash as I went shopping! Now watching the cricket having an American hefe! 

IMG_6508.jpeg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Uncrushed grain stores for a very long time ol sausage. As long as its dry and kept away from grain weevils. Ive got wheat malt Ive had for over a year. Still in good nick.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am starting a small stock of grain & today I collected this lot; I wanted to buy Coopers Malts but the other grain store was closed today.

25kg Pale Grain

4kg Pilsner

4kg Vienna

4kg Wheat

A few yeasts & I am ready to start a brew marathon, I have a nice stock of hops so no prisoners from now on.

malt.jpg

yeast.jpg

Ooooohhhh lovely jubbly Philster.

Beautiful AG beers at fraction of the cost.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Ooooohhhh lovely jubbly Philster.

Beautiful AG beers at fraction of the cost.

Yeah, what I need to now is work out some combinations based on a 5kg grain bill, it may be trial & error for the first part but I am thinking 4kg of Pale & maybe 1 or 2 additions of the other 2 to make up the other 1kg.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, what I need to now is work out some combinations based on a 5kg grain bill, it may be trial & error for the first part but I am thinking 4kg of Pale & maybe 1 or 2 additions of the other 2 to make up the other 1kg.

Start off with a SMASH. You can make a cracking Pale Ale with one grain and one hop schedule.

But its entirely your choice. The brewing world is your oyster.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Uncrushed grain stores for a very long time ol sausage. As long as its dry and kept away from grain weevils. Ive got wheat malt Ive had for over a year. Still in good nick.

The three smaller bags (4kg) are crushed but I will gradually build up stocks.

I was horrified with the price of Maris Otter though 😬

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Start off with a SMASH. You can make a cracking Pale Ale with one grain and one hop schedule.

But its entirely your choice. The brewing world is your oyster.

@Classic Brewing Co  with your Pilsner malt I wouldnt add anything, bar maybe 500 grams of Wheat for head retention. A simple bittering hop of Saaz at 60 minutes and just maybe a flavour of Saaz at flame out. Bitter to 30 IBUs and then use your favourite lager yeast. You have a cracking AG Pilsner right there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The three smaller bags (4kg) are crushed but I will gradually build up stocks.

I was horrified with the price of Maris Otter though 😬

Yeah Maris Otter is up there in price. Why not look at @Hoppy81 range of Gladfield. Its a very tasty grain. Ive had cracking results with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

@Classic Brewing Co  with your Pilsner malt I wouldnt add anything, bar maybe 500 grams of Wheat for head retention. A simple bittering hop of Saaz at 60 minutes and just maybe a flavour of Saaz at flame out. Bitter to 30 IBUs and then use your favourite lager yeast. You have a cracking AG Pilsner right there.

Ta, I might try it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Ta, I might try it.

I'd go down to about 19 - 20 litres though to fill a keg and thats it. 4 kilo of Pilsner will be low abv in a 23 litre brew, but also depends on your crush and brew efficiency. I like to err on the high side with grain amounts. Thats just me though. I like a Pilsner around 5%.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I agree, but as you know freight would be the killer, but old mate sometimes drops it off when he is in town or has time.

Yep forgot about that. I'm lucky enough to live a stones throw he drops off for free for me. I'm spoilt with Hoppy.

I'm putting this brew down tomorrow a recipe for Stone and Wood I found on another forum

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EB
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract (3.5 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (4.2 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale US05

Would I be correct in assuming the 20g of galaxy put in when I take it off the heat would be left in for 5 minutes ?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I'm putting this brew down tomorrow a recipe for Stone and Wood I found on another forum

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EB
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract (3.5 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (4.2 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale US05

Would I be correct in assuming the 20g of galaxy put in when I take it off the heat would be left in for 5 minutes ?

That's the way it looks, you should get that extra flavour kick.

• Like 1