Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

18 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

So it's spot on

Just looked back at when I ordered the cubes, they are 20 litres. I aimed for 19 with the brew because I keg, but fell a couple of litres short. First time in a long time all graining so I'm a bit rusty.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Just looked back at when I ordered the cubes, they are 20 litres. I aimed for 19 with the brew because I keg, but fell a couple of litres short. First time in a long time all graining so I'm a bit rusty.

Just having a look back at some older threads on the subject, someone mentioned a 20 litre cube actually holds about 22 - 23 litres, so I might not be that short after all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Just having a look back at some older threads on the subject, someone mentioned a 20 litre cube actually holds about 22 - 23 litres, so I might not be that short after all.

To save wasting water with a chiller, I just lay the cube on the tiled laundry floor to cool overnight & transfer to the FV in the morning. 

8 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

And there ya have folks - another Classic Brew Day done n dusted - Nice one Phil ✅ - thanks for sharing your journey today @Classic Brewing Co 👏👏

Now you can have a “feet up, ‘n a couple more cold ones” after a quick clean up eh - good job 🥳🍺🍺🍺🍺

Cheers, I have done most of the cleanup, just having a coldie. 🍺

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

According to kegland their cubes filled to the brim hild 23 litres

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

According to kegland their cubes filled to the brim hild 23 litres

They will, someone else said they have to be filled to the very top to be safe to store.

I spoke to Keg Land & they said as long as you have sanitised the cube properly beforehand & when it is full of hot wort, roll it over several times further sanitising the cube, lay it on its side to store as this will also protect the cap area.

If you need to add volume for the ferment that can be done after you have transferred the wort.

That also makes sense as the cube is also easier to handle.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

They will, someone else said they have to be filled to the very top to be safe to store.

Yeah I'm thinking if your container is sanitised, wort is hot enough, there should be no issues. The head space may be an issue with oxidisation if stored over a long period. But I could be wrong.

37 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Yeah I'm thinking if your container is sanitised, wort is hot enough, there should be no issues. The head space may be an issue with oxidisation if stored over a long period. But I could be wrong.

Also read on another forum if the container is say 25 litres and your putting in 22 litres as your filling it up the steam is sanitising the head space a second time and as long as it is air tight there is no problem 

Another benefit with the extra head space is you have the room to give it a good shake before transferring to the FV which when you think about it makes sense 

It was a forum for brewers doing all grain and had a section on no chill and these guys knew what they were talking about but as much as I try and have never been able to find that forum again I should have book marked it

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Yes @Pale Man those cubes hold 22-23l as you say, when filled to the brim.

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Oxidation is not a problem with unfermented wort, in fact oxygen in the wort is good for the initial stages of the fermentation. I aerate mine with a fish tank aerator and a SS stone to get more O2 into it.

• Like 8

Burnt Bag Bitter

23 litres

• 3.6kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Dark Crystal Malt
  • 200g Flaked Barley
  • 100g GF Biscuit Malt
  • 25g Pacific Jade @ 40mins
  • 25g Fuggles @15min
  • 25g EKG @5min
  • 25g each EKG & Fuggles (steep/whirlpool)
  • Voss

🤯 

IMG_20231127_111304.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Burnt Bag Bitter

23 litres

• 3.6kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g Flaked Barley
  • 100g GF Biscuit Malt
  • 25g Fuggles @15min
  • 25g EKG @5min
  • Voss

🤯 

IMG_20231127_111304.jpg

I've tried a couple of commercial GF beers and I wasn't very impressed. Maybe those hops will do the trick.

Good name, though.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Burnt Bag Bitter

23 litres

• 3.6kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g Flaked Barley
  • 100g GF Biscuit Malt
  • 25g Fuggles @15min
  • 25g EKG @5min
  • Voss

🤯 

IMG_20231127_111304.jpg

Howd ya work out of that one?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kegory said:

I've tried a couple of commercial GF beers and I wasn't very impressed. Maybe those hops will do the trick.

Good name, though.

GF= Gladfield malt. 

I've recently fermented a gluten free FWK from KL, added 50g of dry hops and it's actually quite a nice beer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1