Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

8 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

I'll only do one of these little rippers today. The rest can wait until I've a spare FV floating about. Maybe I need a cuppla FV's for Chrissy. Have to word up the kids.ย ๐Ÿ˜†

ย 

ย 

385551479_352647034020696_2487849823361533668_n.jpg

Looks as though you'll have wheat beer coming out your article ๐Ÿคฃ

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2023 at 10:53 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I did another Coopers Original Pale Ale clone today.

1549720390_COPARecipe1.jpg.0be75f46c7325d6cf44a32d953c8c730.jpg

830224934_COPARecipe2.jpg.7aef9cc786141bce3204aae55696dc41.jpg

I hit the numbers almost spot on today.ย  OG into the FV was off by 1 point:ย 1.041 instead of 1.042.

The heat (35ยฐC) made it not a pleasant brewday, but at least I was in the shade inside the garage.

As discussed previously, today I tried a hopstand addition of Pride of Ringwood to try to bring out a fruitiness that I noticed in the commercial version that was not in my previous clone.

Pic of transferring to the FV.

This is my fourth and last brew with this Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast harvest.ย  First up was the 2022 Vintage Ale, then a Original Pale Ale, next a Sparkling Ale and then this COPA.

IMG_3568.JPG.f237cadb1c77fc09f517335dcd30d931.JPG

If I was to do this recipe and because I no chill in a cube you have to get the wort off the hot break asap

How would I do the 20 minute hop stand? Or would I whirlpool for 10 minutes at the end of the boil?

32 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

If I was to do this recipe and because I no chill in a cube you have to get the wort off the hot break asap

How would I do the 20 minute hop stand? Or would I whirlpool for 10 minutes at the end of the boil?

This is just me, i'd throw the last addition hops in the cube, and maybe a little less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I do not know enough about cubing to comment with much authority.ย 

I have put worts into cubes a few times.ย  The once or twice when the recipe had a hopstand at 80ยฐC, I used my counterflow chiller to drop the wort temp to 80ยฐC.ย  Then I did the hopstand.ย  Next I transferred into the cube at 80ยฐC.ย  I did not make any adjustments to the original recipe to account for going into the cube.ย  The beer tasted fine, but maybe it was a little different to what was intended.ย  I was happy to transfer to the cube at 80ยฐC because I knew I was going to get it into the FV and pitch my yeast the next day, so the risk was low.

@Pale Man's idea of adding the hops to the cube sounds good too.

• Like 4

A question to brewers who use AIO brewing system I am going to put down my first AG brew tomorrow and was going to do it outside but because of the weather I might do it in my garage

If your brewing inside how does the steam off the boil affect the ceiling? I seen a video that said it can cause a sticky residue on the ceiling but noticed a lot of brewers do it inside

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

A question to brewers who use AIO brewing system I am going to put down my first AG brew tomorrow and was going to do it outside but because of the weather I might do it in my garage

If your brewing inside how does the steam off the boil affect the ceiling? I seen a video that said it can cause a sticky residue on the ceiling but noticed a lot of brewers do it inside

No, it doesn't, I brew in the kitchen with my BrewZilla & even at full boil the seam doesn't go up that far as well as the fact there is a huge range hood there if I needed it. I find with the back & front doors open it helps to disperse it.

• Like 4

Just got feedback from a friend who a gave a bottle of coffee stout ages ago. Said it was delicious, so time to put another on.

ย 

Super Deluxe Coffee Stout:

Coopers Stout 1.7kg

Maltexo 1.5kg

Lactose 100g

6 shots of Havana Super Deluxe

19l.

ย 

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I did my first boil in the kitchen, no stains at all, but for two days the sweet scent of malted milkshake was lingering in the house. It combined nicely with the aroma of Crunchy Nut from the nearby Kellogg's factory.๐Ÿคฃ

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'll put this in tomorrow if I have time.ย 

Pretty simple.ย  Strange but true, in abt 35 years of brewing I have never done the Irish Stout. I must be slipping.ย ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I only have about 70 stubbies of stout in storage now, so I think it's time.

Resized_20231214_151144.jpeg

• Like 8

Cubing. I decided to throw the late hop addition in the cube to minimise any bitterness. Let my brew fridge go to work and get the temp down to 19c ready for fermentation tomorrow. I'm loving this cubing. Saving water in summer and less stress brew day. I can chuck in the fermenter whenever.

ย 

20231216_152501.jpg

• Like 6

Another Part-Gyle brew day on Friday (just 3 days ago).ย  Link to the previous brew day.

I was planning a IIIPA and thought I would have another go at this method where you mash a very high gravity beer, drain off the wort, then add more water to the "spent" grain to make a much lower ABV beer.

It worked out fairly well.ย  Some of my volumes were off.ย  But the gravities were pretty close.ย  However, IT TOOK AGES.ย  Based on my 2 experiences with this process, I doubt I would do it again.ย  It might be nice to get a 3.5% beer out of grains that have already given you a 1.093 OG brew.ย  But the volume of the heavy brew is usually much lower than otherwise possible.ย  In this case 15 litres compared to 20-23 litres.ย  ย I had to make recipe adjustments on the fly to account for the somewhat unknown volumes.ย  7am start and 9pm finish.ย  This does not include preparation time the day before to change my garage into a brew house and crush the grains.

Not sure I should give recipe numbers, because it can be misleading.ย  However, here goes:

Super Juicy Nectaron Hazy IIIPA - Based on a recipe by the Youtuber on his channel TheApartmentBrewer

• 7kg Coopers Pale Malt
  • 1kg Quick Oats
  • 740g Dextrose (adjusted to 680g from the original 1kg in the recipe to account for eventual FV volume being less AND then upped to 740g because it was what I had leftover in the bag)
  • Hopefully 10.1% ABV (OG 1.093; FG 1.010)
  • For hops, I made some adjustments from the original recipe, to account for actual preboil volume, expected IBU around 80
  • 35g Nectaron 60 minute boil 41 IBU
  • 25g Nectaron 20 minute boil 19 IBU
  • 25g Nectaron 10 minute boil 13 IBU
  • 40g Nectaron 20 minute Hopstand at 80ยฐCย 6 IBU
  • Planning a dry hop of of 120g Nectaron
  • I did a yeast starter using Mangrove Jacks M66 Hophead yeast - It is supposed to be good for high ABV beers
  • Volume into FV 15ย litres

Second runnings - Light Hazy Pale Ale

• 7kg Coopers Pale Malt - Re-rinsed the spent grains - Actually mashed for 30 minutes because I was making recipe adjustments and stuff during this time
  • 1kg Quick Oats - Re-rinsed the spent grains - Actually mashed for 30 minutes because I was making recipe adjustments and stuff during this time
  • Noย  Dextrose
  • Expecting around 3.5% ABV (OG 1.034; FG 1.008)
  • IBU around 16
  • 4g Centennial 60 minute boil 5 IBU
  • 4g Centennial 20 minute boil 4 IBU
  • 4g Centennial 10 minute boil 2 IBU
  • 25g Centennialย 20 minute Hopstand at 80ยฐC 5ย IBU
  • Planning a dry hop of of 25g Centennial
  • I did a yeast starter using Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast
  • Volume into FV 18 litresย 

If it is any indication of the complexity of this brew, here is a photo of the additions across both brews

IMG_4119.thumb.JPG.5c084e0492d49a8c787ec34f939a7050.JPG

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Another Part-Gyle brew day on Friday (just 3 days ago).ย  Link to the previous brew day.

I was planning a IIIPA and thought I would have another go at this method where you mash a very high gravity beer, drain off the wort, then add more water to the "spent" grain to make a much lower ABV beer.

It worked out fairly well.ย  Some of my volumes were off.ย  But the gravities were pretty close.ย  However, IT TOOK AGES.ย  Based on my 2 experiences with this process, I doubt I would do it again.ย  It might be nice to get a 3.5% beer out of grains that have already given you a 1.093 OG brew.ย  But the volume of the heavy brew is usually much lower than otherwise possible.ย  In this case 15 litres compared to 20-23 litres.ย  ย I had to make recipe adjustments on the fly to account for the somewhat unknown volumes.ย  7am start and 9pm finish.ย  This does not include preparation time the day before to change my garage into a brew house and crush the grains.

Not sure I should give recipe numbers, because it can be misleading.ย  However, here goes:

Super Juicy Nectaron Hazy IIIPA - Based on a recipe by the Youtuber on his channel TheApartmentBrewer

• 7kg Coopers Pale Malt
  • 1kg Quick Oats
  • 740g Dextrose (adjusted to 680g from the original 1kg in the recipe to account for eventual FV volume being less AND then upped to 740g because it was what I had leftover in the bag)
  • Hopefully 10.1% ABV (OG 1.093; FG 1.010)
  • For hops, I made some adjustments from the original recipe, to account for actual preboil volume, expected IBU around 80
  • 35g Nectaron 60 minute boil 41 IBU
  • 25g Nectaron 20 minute boil 19 IBU
  • 25g Nectaron 10 minute boil 13 IBU
  • 40g Nectaron 20 minute Hopstand at 80ยฐCย 6 IBU
  • Planning a dry hop of of 120g Nectaron
  • I did a yeast starter using Mangrove Jacks M66 Hophead yeast - It is supposed to be good for high ABV beers
  • Volume into FV 15ย litres

Second runnings - Light Hazy Pale Ale

• 7kg Coopers Pale Malt - Re-rinsed the spent grains - Actually mashed for 30 minutes because I was making recipe adjustments and stuff during this time
  • 1kg Quick Oats - Re-rinsed the spent grains - Actually mashed for 30 minutes because I was making recipe adjustments and stuff during this time
  • Noย  Dextrose
  • Expecting around 3.5% ABV (OG 1.034; FG 1.008)
  • IBU around 16
  • 4g Centennial 60 minute boil 5 IBU
  • 4g Centennial 20 minute boil 4 IBU
  • 4g Centennial 10 minute boil 2 IBU
  • 25g Centennialย 20 minute Hopstand at 80ยฐC 5ย IBU
  • Planning a dry hop of of 25g Centennial
  • I did a yeast starter using Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast
  • Volume into FV 18 litresย 

If it is any indication of the complexity of this brew, here is a photo of the additions across both brews

IMG_4119.thumb.JPG.5c084e0492d49a8c787ec34f939a7050.JPG

Very well organised brew day Shamus (as usual) but a lot of job sheets, wow!!ย ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ That is a big day.

ย 

• Haha 3