Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

On 11/22/2023 at 10:16 AM, Red devil 44 said:

AG German Kolsch today, just heating up my water.

IMG_4679.jpeg

Nice recipe, glad you're going for a Kolsh yeast. Otherwise it isn't a Kolsh, its an Ale.

I'd go hard for a true to style yeast if you're making an effort to all grain a style.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

You should be an expert on this now @Kegory  give Phil some advice on how its done 🫠

I don't do evaporative anymore. It doesn't remove the chloramine. I just treat the water with potassium metabisulphite, usually the day before, bottle it in PET and chill it in the fridge overnight ready to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Nice recipe, glad you're going for a Kolsh yeast. Otherwise it isn't a Kolsh, its an Ale.

I'd go hard for a true to style yeast if you're making an effort to all grain a style.

Yeah @Pale Man I managed to pick up some SafAle K-97 Yeast from the LHBS, says on the packet it’s ideal for a German Kolsch or Belgian Wits. Don’t think I have ever used K-97 in my travels, so will be interesting. I’ll save the US-05 that came with the kit for another brew down the track. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah @Pale Man I managed to pick up some SafAle K-97 Yeast from the LHBS, says on the packet it’s ideal for a German Kolsch or Belgian Wits. Don’t think I have ever used K-97 in my travels, so will be interesting. I’ll save the US-05 that came with the kit for another brew down the track. 

Nice, let us know how it turns out fella.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Kolsh is up there with my favourite beers. I must brew one soon.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kegory said:

Maybe he is aiming to evaporate off the remaining 0.1%

the longer since the filters have been changed the more that would be getting through. Most companies use the figure 99 or 99.9 percent to save them from litigation.

In reality it might be something like 80% or 90% at most

Also @kmar92 I agree with kit beers and doing this you're concern. My comment was directed at an all grain beer which classic now does. 

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 4:50 PM, Red devil 44 said:

It's a nice yeast for a kolsch. IMO better than the lallemand Köln yeast. What temp are you doing it at? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

It's a nice yeast for a kolsch. IMO better than the lallemand Köln yeast. What temp are you doing it at? 

That's interesting. Lallemand Koln has been discontinued. I was thinking of grabbing a couple to stick in my freezer next time I dropped into the LHBS but if there's a better option then I probably shouldn't.

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

That's interesting. Lallemand Koln has been discontinued. I was thinking of grabbing a couple to stick in my freezer next time I dropped into the LHBS but if there's a better option then I probably shouldn't.

I'd try both mate. Everyone's taste buds are different. K97 gave a little more subtle esters which I liked more than the koln. This from memory was at 16c with a ramp to 20c at the end of fermentation. But you might think different

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

About two three litres short. I'm not sure where it went. It's really annoying me. But any way I have around 19 litres of good All Grain for a Christmas keg.

20231125_185817.jpg

I find that getting the right volume is one of the hardest things with AG brewing. I guess that there are a lot of things that vary, especially the boil off rate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Have run out of my brews as of last week. Put down 3 brews today. 2 partials and a FWK. Mashed 4kg of pilsener malt at 66c and cubed and cooled down the cube in an ice bath. Just over 20L into the cube.

Brew 1 Easy pale ale - 1 can Coopers pale ale + 10L pilsener wort. Topped up to 21L with a 2L starter of CCA yeast. In the fridge fermenting on the top shelf of my fermenting fridge at 18c. Will keg hop this with 25gm centennial to add a little aroma

Brew 2 Galaxy Sour - 1 can unhopped coopers wheat malt + about 10.5L of pilsner wort with a 1L starter of imperial kvieking yeast plus 12 tablets of IBS/ lacto plantarum. Topped up to 19L. Will add a 50gm hopstand for 5 min of galaxy to this when the pH hits 3.4. Fermenting at 35c on the work bench with a couple of heat belts

Brew 3 Casey's amber ale - FWK from caseys brewery at Penrith. 20L with a packet of verdant. Will dry hop this with 60gm centennial about day 3. On the bottom shelf of the ferment fridge so is likely around the 20c mark.

Once these are done will do another 3 to get the rest of the kegs filled up.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Nice easy All Grain American Pale Ale. So good to brew an All Grain again. Smells divine in the shed.

20231125_150745.jpg

20231125_152916.jpg

20231125_153908.jpg

APA.png

Interesting recipe @Pale Man I am doing a Pale Ale today & I may steal part of your hopping schedule; I will do 50gm POR for 30 minutes & 20gm of Eclipse for 15 minutes as I don't want to bitter it too much.

• Like 3