Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

20 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Yeah OK but my query is about using galaxy as a dry hop I know it is for bittering but it can also be used as a dry hop to bring out fruity flavours 

Has anyone actually used galaxy as a dry hop and how many grams did you use and what was the results?

Further to this, I have used 50gms of Galaxy using the same method - last 4 days & it is perfectly balanced, Galaxy is a great hop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:01 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have only done it twice.  It was the same each time, so I have not done it since.

I understand it is quite soft.  Therefore, when I brew lagers/pilsners, I only add Sodium Metabisulfite to neutralise the chlorine.

I just use Brewfather to calculate how much Calcium Chloride, Epsom Salt and Gypsum to add.  Does it make a difference?  I have no idea because I have never done a side-by-side comparison.  Adding salts supposedly improves your beers, so for now, I will keep doing it.

Do you test the water before or after you remove the chlorine/chloramine Shamus?

12 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

You really do have water issues dont you? Enough for me to say move on and try something different. Every single beer of yours seems to have the same issue that you're not learning from.

I had the same water issues and tried a few things. Most of them worked. Cut the apron springs with your water, try something different. You might blow your mind away and really enjoy your beers instead of boring people with the repeat mention of chemicals such of chlorimine and the other one you mention.

Be a big boy, step off the first step, and experience a new world of brewing.

The old saying.......madness is repeating something over and over again that doesn't work.

The beauty of brewing beer at home. The world is your Oyster. Use it.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Well why keep on posting about the same problems time and time again with your beers, asking about water. And youre not happy.

I'd love to help you. I had issues with water, big time to the point i was ready never to brew anything ever again at home. But I changed things around.

I took these simple steps that changed my beers dramatically. I bought some spring water from the supermarket, followed my usual brewing schedule. Beers turned out so much better, I was so happy but knew i had a problem then with my ground water.

So next step. I have a rain water tank. Boiled the beejusus out of it for all grain beers to kill bugs. My beers stepped up another notch. I was brewing professional beers.

I went back to my ground water after because ive tasted some great beers from @Hoppy81

He said " are you pouring your water into your fermenter from a garden hose? " I said yes. Theres youre problem mate. It needs to come straight out of the tap. So I did that, my beers were amazing. I added the correct salts to my towns water profile.

My whole point here is stop whinging about stuff you're going wrong with time and time again with beers you're not happy with.

Look into it more to improve and you'll be shocked at you can achieve. I was ready to throw home brewing away. I now make some fantastic beers if I do say so myself.

Its up to you.

I asked Shamus at what point he tests his water. Everything else is in your own muddled imaginings.

Your carping is getting tiresome. Move on.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

@Kegory  every single one of your brews that you taste test here, you bang on about chlorimine this and that twang with your beers. Do you not?

So in my experience I'm trying to get you off that track and help you. Do you want help?

No, I don't.

You really need to get a grip. You are embarrassing yourself, again.

@Pale Man I can see where he is coming from @Kegory may be caught up in detailitis but he is asking questions trying to learn about water chemistry which is beyond me so I haven't even tried to learn it.

The only good point you made to him was adding salts to your water all the other comments about trolling people and so forth was unfair 

If it gets up your nose that much just put him on ignore then problem solved

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChairmanDrew said:

How dreadful is your water supply if a simple home filter won't remove the taste?

I have to say when I brewed kit beers adding a simple filter to the garden hose improved the beers greatly. Then filling the brew pot with filtered fridge water from a plummed fridge even better beer. 

@Kegory although he was quite blunt about what he said @Pale Man has given some good advise. If all you do is focus on the parts you didn't like and ignore the good stuff over stubbornness, you will be the one that suffers for it. 

It is quite possible that the taste you describe is just purely the taste of the kit beer. Not actually chloramine twang.

You may be over thinking the whole thing when it is in fact simple and easy fixed with some of the suggested things. 

I know we are on the Coopers home brew forum and recently got a warning from Frank about bagging the kit beers and the twang. For me I honestly don't understand why coopers do not offer their own Fresh Wort Kits. 

Most of us that do have them available and brew them don't usually go back to the cans.

You live in Melbourne where they are readily available do yourself a favour grab some and yeast and flavour hops. Use filtered water and do something different as suggested. You have brewed FWK before was it fresher than a kit? did it have the twang? 

Do you think if so it is the aftermark of bottle condition and you need to try kegging? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

My beers are tasty. Im not the one that needs to get a grip. Ive told you time again I'm here to help. You seem to be using that as some kind of celebrity on this forum. You do tend to spam. Take a back seat and listen to wiser brewers. Simple.

For the record, and for your benefit:

- I do not have any lingering problems with my water. A guy at the homebrew club identified the source of the twang in my beers and how to remedy it. My first six beers 001-006 have a chloramine twang. Subsequent beers do not have a chloramine twang 007->

- When I do a taste test of my beers I describe what I can see, smell, taste and otherwise sense. If I can perceive an off flavour I will not ignore it, I will mention it.

- My eighth beer, 008, has far too much acetaldeyde. I know what caused it. However, it is there, and if I do a tasting I record it.

- A statement is a statement. It is not a complaint, and it is not a question.

- Regarding questions, they almost always end with a "?"

- If I hear a word or technique new to me I may ask questions about it. I will not say that people must be from another planet or that they have jumped the shark. But that's just me, I prefer to be civil and not embarrass myself.

- If I ask a question there is a very good chance that it may relate to things I may do in the future, rather than things that happened in the past, unless that context is included in the text.

1 minute ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I have to say when I brewed kit beers adding a simple filter to the garden hose improved the beers greatly. Then filling the brew pot with filtered fridge water from a plummed fridge even better beer. 

@Kegory although he was quite blunt about what he said @Pale Man has given some good advise. If all you do is focus on the parts you didn't like and ignore the good stuff over stubbornness, you will be the one that suffers for it. 

It is quite possible that the taste you describe is just purely the taste of the kit beer. Not actually chloramine twang.

You may be over thinking the whole thing when it is in fact simple and easy fixed with some of the suggested things. 

I know we are on the Coopers home brew forum and recently got a warning from Frank about bagging the kit beers and the twang. For me I honestly don't understand why coopers do not offer their own Fresh Wort Kits. 

Most of us that do have them available and brew them don't usually go back to the cans.

You live in Melbourne where they are readily available do yourself a favour grab some and yeast and flavour hops. Use filtered water and do something different as suggested. You have brewed FWK before was it fresher than a kit? did it have the twang? 

Do you think if so it is the aftermark of bottle condition and you need to try kegging? 

See my reply, above.

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

See my reply, above.

No worries if you are happy with later beers I'm happy for you. If you wish to analyse and complicate kit beers that is also you're right to do so.

I have enjoyed some of the carbonation reviews etc as to the rest of it I will stay out of it now. Not sure if read my whole last post or not because you replied fast but am also only trying to help. 

There are cheap kegging options to try that makes things better yet again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

The FWK did not have the chloramine twang, netiher did the brew before it. The FWK had too much acetaldehyde due to temperature fluctuations during an unseasonably warm spell in July.

1 minute ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

No worries if you are happy with later beers I'm happy for you. If you wish to analyse and complicate kit beers that is also you're right to do so.

I have enjoyed some of the carbonation reviews etc as to the rest of it I will stay out of it now. Not sure if read my whole last post or not because you replied fast but am also only trying to help. 

There are cheap kegging options to try that makes things better yet again. 

Yeah, I know.

I don't think tasting beers is complicating them. I am trying to develop my tasting and assessing skills.

36 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Yeah OK anyway @Shamus O'Sean my query is how does beersmith know how to suggest your water treatment? Do you upload your water report or just put in your state/city?

I don't know how Beersmith does it but here is an interesting blog from Grain and Grape on Basic Brewing Water Chemistry. I would guess Beersmith works similarly to the Brewers Friend tool linked in the blog.

Shamus posted his water analysis upthread, and I posted one from Melbourne Brewers, if you want to have a play around with the Brewers Friend tool.

• Thanks 1

Wow, I  would need a week to go through all this stuff about water, if you are an extract Brewer it ain't going to make much difference,  I have only ever used Puratap water that sits in an uncovered fv overnight & it makes a difference. 

Since I have been AG brewing I still use the same method, the only difference is the beers taste better.

I don't get what all the fuss is about,  just get on with your brewing & ease up with all of the technical blah blah. 

When you have a few years under your belt that is the time to refine your craft.

11 hours ago, Kegory said:

Do you test the water before or after you remove the chlorine/chloramine Shamus?

Imagine if I had replied 11 hours ago.

Anyway, when I did the testing (and that was ages ago), I had not removed the chlorine with Sodium Metabisulfite.  I have no idea if it would have made a difference to the testing.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Imagine if I had replied 11 hours ago.

Anyway, when I did the testing (and that was ages ago), I had not removed the chlorine with Sodium Metabisulfite.  I have no idea if it would have made a difference to the testing.

There's nothing much on the telly, good thing you didn't.

Thanks Shamus, I was just curious, nothing more.

• Like 1