Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

44 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The Cube is full of hot wort which will sit on the tiled floor in the laundry overnight to cool down.

Tomorrow I will transfer the wort into a fermenter to about 20-21l & I will take a SG reading & when I have a pitch rate of 24c I will add the yeast, in this case US-05.

It will then go in the temperature-controlled brew fridge for 14 days at 20c.

There will be no need to add any more hops as the recipe called for 60gms, I have done this before & as a XPA style it is very hoppy anyway.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Phil

Brilliant - thanks Phil, I am only using extracts (or K&K I think you call it), so good to get an insight on how an all grain brew process goes 😉

Cheers for that ! 👏🍺🍺 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Brilliant - thanks Phil, I am only using extracts (or K&K I think you call it), so good to get an insight on how an all grain brew process goes 😉

Cheers for that ! 👏🍺🍺 

I should add that a few longtime members of this forum inspired me to move to AG Brewing & then Kegging, I have brewed for over 40 years, most of that time k & k & with partials, additions etc. but after I reached a plateau, I felt that I could not take it any further, so I needed to take it to the next level.

This great forum is responsible for a lot of success stories & has helped many new time brewers as well as the more experienced.

It not only is a great place to be for companionship, friendship, but it provides a strong bond between brewers of all levels, I could not have done it without the support of a few great guys & have made many friends over the years & had the privilege to meet & drink with some of them.

It is all about listening, watching & learning & developing your skills.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

So judging by the time stamps on the photos, all brewing is done in about a couple hours 

An all grain brew typically takes around 3 - 4 hours, depending if you clean up during or after.

Heat your mash water, mash for an hour, bring to the boil, hour boil, cool the wort then transfer and any clean up. Its quite enjoyable with music cranked, the smells and a glass or two of beer while brewing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Damn! By the time I am cleaned up and packed away it is closer to 6!!

Yeah I'm around the 4 - 5 hours, but some brewers are more efficient than me. Some only do a half hour boil. The 3 - 4 hours was my very least estimate.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

An all grain brew typically takes around 3 - 4 hours, depending if you clean up during or after.

Heat your mash water, mash for an hour, bring to the boil, hour boil, cool the wort then transfer and any clean up. Its quite enjoyable with music cranked, the smells and a glass or two of beer while brewing. 

I will drink to that. 🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I must admit, I knocked a brew out the other week, started at 4:30am, was finished just after 9am. But that didn't include clean up, I went on to do a second brew 😂

Keen starting at 4.30 😆   As Phil says, well done take the day off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Yeah I'm around the 4 - 5 hours, but some brewers are more efficient than me. Some only do a half hour boil. The 3 - 4 hours was my very least estimate.

I like to prepare as much as I can in advance, always thinking about the next step, like cracking a cold one. 😄

I started filling the kettle at 9.30am & by the time I had cubed it was 1.40pm, a bit of a clean-up for about 1/2 hour but I haven't put everything away, just the main clean-up.

It is laboursome but it pays off in the end, you get quality beer, especially if you keg it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I should add that a few longtime members of this forum inspired me to move to AG Brewing & then Kegging, I have brewed for over 40 years, most of that time k & k & with partials, additions etc. but after I reached a plateau, I felt that I could not take it any further, so I needed to take it to the next level.

This great forum is responsible for a lot of success stories & has helped many new time brewers as well as the more experienced.

It not only is a great place to be for companionship, friendship, but it provides a strong bond between brewers of all levels, I could not have done it without the support of a few great guys & have made many friends over the years & had the privilege to meet & drink with some of them.

It is all about listening, watching & learning & developing your skills.

Brilliant and thank you @Classic Brewing Co and all those referenced in Phil's reply (you know who you are 😉).

celebratingclappinghand.gif.a323f831b1ad8e6b88ef1b0b9570aa9b.gif

Following in my dear 'ol dad's footsteps, I too have brewed for many years previously Phil, including while on site working away at Argyle Diamond Mines (did just short of 10 years up there - wow them were the daz !). Due to the roster system, there were many home brew schools onsite during that time and I was fortunate enough to win a home brew comp up there going by the name of The Rusty Bucket 😂 (no prize, just the prestige🥇).

Anwaz, that was almost a lifetime ago, I am now almost 1½ years retired and one of my first decisions was to build a fermenter fridge, keezer for kegs and start to dabble in uping the anti and learning more about home brewing extract brews with partial mashes, hop additions and everything else this new world of home and nano brewing has morphed into (and wow there's a lot hey).

Is to that end Phil, I too have very much enjoyed being a Coopers Club Member both in the past (around the mid nineties when it used to cost you to join to be a Coopers Club member. You would snail mail off a membership form and you would receive back a bottle opener with your membership number stamped on it and among other items, you could buy a metal handled pewter stein), to being a current member now and reaping all the benefits technology has provided us like connecting with and having access to, likeminded individuals like you refer to Phil. It really is super and I really like to sprit and supporting nature of the club members community - Outstanding !!.

I have been back brewing now for just over 12 months and have knocked out 32 Coopers Club Extract Recipes in that time (and not a bad one in the bunch 😉).

With so many recipes still to try, I don't know if I will ever make the leap over to AG Brewing. My goal is to find at least 4 solid daily drinkers as a foundation and then see what I can fine tune them into - Look, I know its a big task no doubt, but I've decided I'm up for it 😉😋😂

Cheers again Phil and all those that make up this wonderful online community !

Vince🍺🍺

beer-german.gif.2b8a968e941f43ebc23a868df72cd491.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

HA! yeap, sounds just like my brew day, only everything on a smaller scale - using kettles of boiling water, tins of concentrate, saucepans of simple grain mash's, hops and Spotify cracked both inside and outside the home (I'm sure the neighbours love my brew day's 😉🤥😂)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Brilliant and thank you @Classic Brewing Co and all those referenced in Phil's reply (you know who you are 😉).

celebratingclappinghand.gif.a323f831b1ad8e6b88ef1b0b9570aa9b.gif

Following in my dear 'ol dad's footsteps, I too have brewed for many years previously Phil, including while on site working away at Argyle Diamond Mines (did just short of 10 years up there - wow them were the daz !). Due to the roster system, there were many home brew schools onsite during that time and I was fortunate enough to win a home brew comp up there going by the name of The Rusty Bucket 😂 (no prize, just the prestige🥇).

Anwaz, that was almost a lifetime ago, I am now almost 1½ years retired and one of my first decisions was to build a fermenter fridge, keezer for kegs and start to dabble in uping the anti and learning more about home brewing extract brews with partial mashes, hop additions and everything else this new world of home and nano brewing has morphed into (and wow there's a lot hey).

Is to that end Phil, I too have very much enjoyed being a Coopers Club Member both in the past (around the mid nineties when it used to cost you to join to be a Coopers Club member. You would snail mail off a membership form and you would receive back a bottle opener with your membership number stamped on it and among other items, you could buy a metal handled pewter stein), to being a current member now and reaping all the benefits technology has provided us like connecting with and having access to, likeminded individuals like you refer to Phil. It really is super and I really like to sprit and supporting nature of the club members community - Outstanding !!.

I have been back brewing now for just over 12 months and have knocked out 32 Coopers Club Extract Recipes in that time (and not a bad one in the bunch 😉).

With so many recipes still to try, I don't know if I will ever make the leap over to AG Brewing. My goal is to find at least 4 solid daily drinkers as a foundation and then see what I can fine tune them into - Look, I know its a big task no doubt, but I've decided I'm up for it 😉😋😂

Cheers again Phil and all those that make up this wonderful online community !

Vince🍺🍺

beer-german.gif.2b8a968e941f43ebc23a868df72cd491.gif

Great stuff mate, it is a great place to be & happy brewing.

Good positive attitudes & respect for your fellow brewers is the backbone of this community. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

HA! yeap, sounds just like my brew day, only everything on a smaller scale - using kettles of boiling water, tins of concentrate, saucepans of simple grain mash's, hops and Spotify cracked both inside and outside the home (I'm sure the neighbours love my brew day's 😉🤥😂)

Hahaha awesome!!!

12 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Good journey. This forum is indeed a fabulous source of knowledge. Without it, I wouldn't be brewing AG and probably would have thrown it all in again because when restarting, I made all the same mistakes I had made 20odd years ago.

On the other hand, I'd probably have a fair bit more money, considering the amount spent on brewery, brewing gear and all the extra bits and pieces, gadgets etc. Great hobby though. Having your time and investment rewarded with some good beers is worth it.

I've been trying to find some staples for years now and am still none the wiser. I may be getting there slowly but every time I think I have something, Some other contender comes along and old staples fall out of favour a little. The thing is that I like to experiment and some of those turn out quite nicely, even some beers, turn out better than expected. That then messes with the plans 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just starting my third AG brew, a Hefeweizen. The recipe is a Brew in a bag recipe without sparging, 28l mash water. Got a bit confused and worried that adding the grains it will get a bit messy, so I used the quantity Brewfather gave me. 19.95l and 9.45l sparging water. Let’s see how it will turn out. 15 more minutes mashing and the the sparging will start.

IMG_7701.jpeg

IMG_7702.jpeg

IMG_7704.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Good journey. This forum is indeed a fabulous source of knowledge. Without it, I wouldn't be brewing AG and probably would have thrown it all in again because when restarting, I made all the same mistakes I had made 20odd years ago.

On the other hand, I'd probably have a fair bit more money, considering the amount spent on brewery, brewing gear and all the extra bits and pieces, gadgets etc. Great hobby though. Having your time and investment rewarded with some good beers is worth it.

I've been trying to find some staples for years now and am still none the wiser. I may be getting there slowly but every time I think I have something, Some other contender comes along and old staples fall out of favour a little. The thing is that I like to experiment and some of those turn out quite nicely, even some beers, turn out better than expected. That then messes with the plans 🙂 

Exactly @Aussiekraut, I can already see that same pattern of continued new contenders swapping out my top four daily drinkers happening within my short 30 odd brews made and drunk since returning to brewing.
 What can one say but “there’s no bad beer, just some are better than others and there’s a whole bunch of ’em out there for me yet to try”.

I’m just trying not to let the enormity of it all get the better of me 😉😂🤣😂😋🍺🍺🍺🍺

“I love a good beer” !!

• Like 3