Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's rough mate, bad luck, I remember my first AG brew, I made every mistake in the book, but I still go to drink it.

Personally, I am a bit wary of adding things like chocolate, cocoa, coffee etc. to any of my brews but I know it can be done, with success however my thoughts would be maybe you should have stuck to the basics first time round.

Better luck with the next one mate, Cheers.

I’ve done brews with additions before, that wasn’t the problem. Should have been more careful covering the FV up again. The good news is that we can learn from our mistakes. Will do this kit again , as it tasted really nice. Also got a voucher for my brew shop so I will get myself something nice fornece weekends brewing day

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A Balter XPA clone today.

27 litre batch. 4 litre top up in the FV to get OG of 1.046.  ABV around 4.6%.  IBU around 31

• 3.64kg Coopers Pale Malt
  • 900g Vienna Malt
  • 500g Rolled Wheat
  • 230g Acidulated Malt
  • 8g Amarillo 30 minute boil
  • 20g Amarillo 10 minute boil
  • 35g Citra; 18g Centennial; 13g Cryo Amarillo; and 3g Amarillo (to use it up) 15 minute Hopstand at 90°C
  • 30g Citra; 24g Cryo Amarillo; and 18g Centennial Dry Hop
  • Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell Ale yeast

Brew table organisation

IMG_3757.JPG.c415f1622dbb59f49bf1b41780925595.JPG

About to pitch the yeast starter

IMG_3758.JPG.05d2be240dcde8e31da7302fba4f7832.JPG

• Like 12

Duvel AG today. I started with the recipe from “The Devil’s Own Brew”, and adjusted it according to the “How To Brew Like A Monk” book.

I’m going for more accurate temperature control and a SS FV.

I’ll post the recipe tomorrow if anyone wants to have a go.

IMG_9005.jpeg

IMG_9006.jpeg

IMG_9007.jpeg

IMG_9013.jpeg

IMG_9015.jpeg

IMG_9017.jpeg

IMG_9018.jpeg

IMG_9019.jpeg

• Like 13

5am start today, up at sparrow fart. My attempt at a Cascade Premium clone, a clone of the beer they used to make 20 years ago.  Based from an old post on the internet somewhere, they apparently use 30% by gravity of sugar, so basically a typical aussie lager.

• 4kg extra pale
  • 0.25kg carapils
  • 0.7kg table sugar
  • 18g POR @ 60
  • 50g Hersbrucker hop stand

cascade.thumb.jpg.1f9987434c1842333c390b970b8309bc.jpg

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

is it wrong to crack one open? 🤔

I can only speak from personal experience and I'd ask myself these questions:
Will I stop at one? (Not likely)
Do I have plans for today?
Yes? (Have a beer later)     No? (Crack one open)

The old Cascade Prem was a top beer. I hope yours turns out well, mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, Malter White said:

I used to love it back in the day, haven't had one in a while because I haven't seen it around. The original was 5.2% and very fancy back then. Same as most things, they change and often not for the better. Cheers mate, still learning this machine and technique so keeping it simple before I tackle more complicated recipes.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I don't think time is the factor & as Malter says it depends on what you are doing at the time, e.g.  Nightshift/Fishing Camping/Boys night out/All night Boozing session - but we all have done it (not these days) 

The other thing is once you have one, you want another, so I guess it is up to the Indvidual.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I don't think time is the factor & as Malter says it depends on what you are doing at the time, e.g.  Nightshift/Fishing Camping/Boys night out/All night Boozing session - but we all have done it (not these days) 

The other thing is once you have one, you want another, so I guess it is up to the Indvidual.

Sage advice from Malter, just cracked a second because the first one was delicious, just have to make sure, right?  😂

Boiling the wort now, add additions, then cube it.

Just domestic drearies today, and possibly tidy up my shed, mow lawn, a bit of gardening, but I had better keep it in chheck otherwise won't get much done! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

5am start today, up at sparrow fart. My attempt at a Cascade Premium clone, a clone of the beer they used to make 20 years ago.  Based from an old post on the internet somewhere, they apparently use 30% by gravity of sugar, so basically a typical aussie lager.

• 4kg extra pale
  • 0.25kg carapils
  • 0.7kg table sugar
  • 18g POR @ 60
  • 50g Hersbrucker hop stand

cascade.thumb.jpg.1f9987434c1842333c390b970b8309bc.jpg

I like that recipe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the Duvel clone recipe. In the end I rounded the grain bill off to 6.5kg and the dextrose to 1.3kg, and used 60g of Styrian. I ended up with 24 litres.

I used two jam jars of trub from a previous Duvel brew, which was two packs of MJ41.

The OG was slightly over at 1.074

The brew day was quite long at 6 hours, the step mash is a bit of a faff and it’s a 90 minute boil too. Hopefully it’ll be worth it…

Duvel Clone Recipe Step Mash 25l.pdf

Edited by stquinto
Added info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Malter White said:

That sounds familiar Malter 🤪

The brew sounds good too @Cheap Charlie 👍

• Like 4

On 6/10/2023 at 8:53 AM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I’ve done brews with additions before, that wasn’t the problem. Should have been more careful covering the FV up again. The good news is that we can learn from our mistakes. Will do this kit again , as it tasted really nice. Also got a voucher for my brew shop so I will get myself something nice fornece weekends brewing day

Sorry to hear about that one BF 😱

• Sad 1

Just put on my expired European Lager. I didn't have the BE3 to make the "Green Neck Lager" (they don't even sell it here) so I used 550g of Maltexo and 300g of dextrose.

I had other plans, but after discovering my Euro lager can was already past the BB I figured this would have to come first. Plus the current winter temperatures should be perfect for a lager. Hopefully the yeast is still good (the original lager yeast that used to come with the European Lager), I gave it a rehydration before pitching to try and help out. OG is only 1.035, which seems a bit low, but we'll see how it goes. Might look at an extra dry hop addition later on.

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 5

On 5/27/2023 at 2:01 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

AG brew Number two. A Märzen, a recipe from my LHBS. went for the Bohemian lager yeast. Hit the pre-boil gravity on the spot.

IMG_6913.png

IMG_6918.jpeg

IMG_6915.jpeg

IMG_6921.jpeg

IMG_6926.jpeg

IMG_6931.jpeg

Bottled the Marzen today, 32 half liter bottles. Fermented for three weeks at a constant 12-13 degrees with some Bohemian Lager Yeast. OG 1065 FG 1024. It's a bit high but it has been sitting there for 7 days and given the OG it is with its ABV of 6% in its projected range. How do I store it now till October? Does it have to sit for some days in over 18 degrees or can it go straight into the Dungeon? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Bottled the Marzen today, 32 half liter bottles. Fermented for three weeks at a constant 12-13 degrees with some Bohemian Lager Yeast. OG 1065 FG 1024. It's a bit high but it has been sitting there for 7 days and given the OG it is with its ABV of 6% in its projected range. How do I store it now till October? Does it have to sit for some days in over 18 degrees or can it go straight into the Dungeon? 

Are you carbonating it? If you are carbonating it with some form of sugar doesn't that require 18+?

Why do you need to store it until October? Long maturation?

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Does it have to sit for some days in over 18 degrees or can it go straight into the Dungeon? 

My thoughts are to keep it at 18 or above for a week, then store it in a Dungeon, if you have one.

• Like 1