Coopers Community

Brew Day What Have Ya Got - 2023

iBooz2

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Pickle Sour Beer

A bit of an experimental beer today.  Garage Project in New Zealand does a Pickle Beer or more specifically a Cucumber Dill Pickle Sour beer.  I found a Pickle Spiced Gose Kombucha Hybrid by another brewer on Brewfather.  So I used that recipe as a basis for my beer.

Doing my usual 30 litre concentrated batch (22 litres of wort plus 8 litres of top-up water in the fermenter).  Aiming for a 4.5% ABV beer.  Hit the numbers:  Pre-boil gravity 1.056.  Post-boil gravity 1.063.  Once I add the 8 litre top-up tomorrow, the Original Gravity should be around 1.046.

• 3.3kg Coopers Premium Pale Malt
  • 2.1kg Coopers Premium Wheat Malt
  • 350g Acidulated Malt
  • 13g Magnum - 50 minute boil - 11 IBU
  • 35g Pickle Spice - Lightly ground - 10 minute boil
  • 1.5g Chili Powder - 10 minute boil
  • 35g Salt - Flame-out
  • Philly Sour yeast
  • Planning to add a jar of Cucumber Dill Pickle puree toward the end of fermentation.

Had to cube the 22 litres because my 35 litre Snub Nose fermenter, that I want to put this brew into, is full of Mötley Brëw.

The flavour in the sample was around what I was hoping for.  However, quite sweet, that will turn around once fermented.  I think this will turn out alright.

Additions

IMG_3734.JPG.e5c9e01e79469f0a77b6c2357a1cd202.JPG

Nice clear wort post mash

IMG_3735.JPG.4a5544e3197a27402767f304610a0522.JPG

Boil underway, gonna transfer to a cube today

IMG_3736.JPG.db8acc95ad7b0939388675e9ef5b983f.JPG

Pickle Spice and Chili Powder addition just added

IMG_3737.JPG.d0e92453d26ddd0bc1afbc9577c3c420.JPG

Transfer to cube underway

IMG_3738.JPG.e647c3ca3d5cf19073a2ee01a950733d.JPG

I like the hop spider 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

AG brew Number two. A Märzen, a recipe from my LHBS. went for the Bohemian lager yeast. Hit the pre-boil gravity on the spot.

IMG_6913.png

IMG_6918.jpeg

IMG_6915.jpeg

IMG_6921.jpeg

IMG_6926.jpeg

IMG_6931.jpeg

Overshot the OG a little bit and am 1 liter short, but who cares if it tastes nice later on. All cleaned up and of to the air to pick up wifey 

IMG_6940.jpeg

IMG_6937.jpeg

• Like 8

Brewday today, it was sort of my take on a Cooper's Sparkling Ale.

51% Simpsons Finest Maris Otter

30% Cooper's Premium Pale

10% Weyermanns Munich 1

6% Weyermanns Carapils

3% Gladfield wheat.

I am going to ferment it with Nottingham. I hit all the numbers with the brew and it should come in at 5.4%, with an IBU of 30, EBC of 10 and a BU/GU of 0.55. I should ferment it with a cultured Coopers yeast but truthfully I couldn't be bothered, Notty should do a good job though. It is cubed and cooling and will go in the fermenter Saturday.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Brewday today, it was sort of my take on a Cooper's Sparkling Ale.

51% Simpsons Finest Maris Otter

30% Cooper's Premium Pale

10% Weyermanns Munich 1

6% Weyermanns Carapils

3% Gladfield wheat.

I am going to ferment it with Nottingham. I hit all the numbers with the brew and it should come in at 5.4%, with an IBU of 30, EBC of 10 and a BU/GU of 0.55. I should ferment it with a cultured Coopers yeast but truthfully I couldn't be bothered, Notty should do a good job though. It is cubed and cooling and will go in the fermenter Saturday.

Oh stupid me, forgot to mention that it had 25g Pride of Ringwood @ 60mins and 10g Pride of Ringwood @ 15mins. 🫣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My first stout today

"Shaky Isles Stout"

Coopers Stout 1.7kg

Maltexo 1.5kg

100gm lactose

6 espresso cups of Shaky Isles coffee (it's a brand)

19l, OG 1.048. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out 😁

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 7

Gday all. First timer here, been brewing for about 4 months now, few brews under my belt, 3 fermenters 😉 

Anyone do the ROTM draught??? I did and dead set best flavour beer to date, not that any ive done i deemed bad but this one ill def be buying the ingredients for another run asap, i dont see it lasting long lol

• Like 11

On 5/20/2023 at 12:06 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

First time using my Brewzilla and my first brew is an Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout. My daughter got me the AG kit from the LHBS for my last years birthday 🎂. So nearly a year later it’s finally happening. Trying to get my head around Brewfather I discovered that the exact recipe is already there. Makes my life easier, or not? It’s a very large grain bill, recirculation nearly impossible and draining the wort out of the malt pipe is taking ages. The whole house is smelling sweetly. I could blame it on the Kellogg’s factory near by, sometimes I open the door and it smells like Crunchy Nut, yum.

What went wrong so far. Only my stick thermometer broke to measure the actual temperature inside the mash pipe and my sparking water and I got wet 🦶 as I forgot to close the tab, ha ha.

Also found some brew day with a Brewzilla step by step instructions, veeery handy 

D3358446-2145-4B79-A6D6-DA992002CE2C.jpeg

96DC2FA5-4354-4E9B-B5B0-6779B628E035.jpeg

0C508222-76F1-42E1-BF81-5DBE43775745.jpeg

30F56A82-3A66-41CD-850B-3FE1DA402D60.jpeg

Added the cacao nibs today, ended up steeping them in Johnny Walker Red Label. So far so good

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Aussie_Bewgz said:

Gday all. First timer here, been brewing for about 4 months now, few brews under my belt, 3 fermenters 😉 

Anyone do the ROTM draught??? I did and dead set best flavour beer to date, not that any ive done i deemed bad but this one ill def be buying the ingredients for another run asap, i dont see it lasting long lol

Hi AB and welcome to the Forum.  I have bought the Genuine Draught ROTM but have not brewed it yet.  Based on your description, it sounds solid.

Did you use the supplied Coopers Lager yeast or something else?

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 1:29 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Tried my hand in a Märzen. So far, it looks good. Nice and clear wort and all. I did overshoot pre-boil SG by 10 and OG by 7 points. No idea why.

IMG_8479.thumb.jpeg.7fe85e58ea7e8a478d67e6d3c000da32.jpegIMG_8481.thumb.jpeg.b2774738da747510a081d3da7d23bf05.jpegIMG_8482.thumb.jpeg.c97756ceaa9ff9aa463423791001b8d6.jpegIMG_8483.thumb.jpeg.27c4717e62969a087077d18d3923ba6c.jpeg

The assistant brewer did a last minute check when the wort went into the cube 😀

IMG_8484.thumb.jpeg.e21a7a1da3815d8324ab7ecd47d1da7b.jpeg

I won’t get to try this until I come back from holidays though 😟

Nice to see you use a super high quality dog wash, nice work for mans bets friend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2023 at 10:52 PM, ChairmanDrew said:

My first stout today

"Shaky Isles Stout"

Coopers Stout 1.7kg

Maltexo 1.5kg

100gm lactose

6 espresso cups of Shaky Isles coffee (it's a brand)

19l, OG 1.048. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out 😁

I did same without lactose, 6 shots espresso, also added cocoa powder for teh choc coffee flavor. I will give the lactose a bash next time I think. Hope it comes up well for you

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

I did same without lactose, 6 shots espresso, also added cocoa powder for teh choc coffee flavor. I will give the lactose a bash next time I think. Hope it comes up well for you

Thanks mate. Cocoa powder sounds like a good idea. How did it turn out?

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 2:12 PM, ChairmanDrew said:

Thanks mate. Cocoa powder sounds like a good idea. How did it turn out?

I was very happy with it, the coffee and choc were subtle. Just make sure its an oil free coca powder (and fair trade if possible).

Next time I have been advised to use chocolate essence from a cake supplies store.

So many more brews to make in my life I want to try everything but I only drink one beer per day so it may take a while, thankfully my friends have no such limits on consumption and are always willing to help me out with any over stocking issues I have 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 5/28/2023 at 1:16 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

It was really, really easy to make.  Great for multiple hop additions at different times.

I'm gonna steal that idea and make one myself. Great design.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

I was very happy with it, the coffee and choc were subtle. Just make sure its an oil free coca powder (and fair trade if possible).

Next time I have been advised to use chocolate essence from a cake supplies store.

So many more brews to make in my life I want to try everything but I only drink one beer per day so it may take a while, thankfully my friends have no such limits on consumption and are always willing to help me out with any over stocking issues I have 

It's great to have friends you can count on in times of need.

• Haha 2

Well back to basics today using up some of the Coopers Tins I purchased heaps of before getting into FWK.

I must admit this was my favourite kit before FWK now I can't stand the kit twang. 

I will be adding a kg of raspberry or more to the keg to mask that taste. 

Yes I turned into a bit of a kit snob after FWK and didn't like them changing the yeast. I have used almost 1 and a half hybrid kit yeast in this brew to use it up.

Pitched yeast on 23 degrees letting drop by itself as is cool in shed and brew fridge is on 18 degrees. Just under 19 litres OG:1.054

20230608_122920.jpg

• Like 9

On 5/21/2023 at 6:14 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Pitched it today, it's about 18.5 l. As I added an extra 2l to the sparge the water quantities in the recipe were definatly off. The OG was 1074, just two points off, not bad for one year old milled grain. The wort is syrupy sweet with a hint of Coffee bitterness, yum. Pitched it at 19.5 degrees

To add the Cocoa nibs later I want to steep them in my Amburana/French Oak Cachaca, do I have to roast them before?

IMG_6832.JPG

IMG_6833.JPEG

And the bad news is: Wanted to bottle the stout today, everything prepared. Took a last reading today, all good. But the taste, horrible, stinky sour. After adding the cacao nibs (the wort tasted delicious then) I knocked the airlock off when I covered the FV with the cardboard box. 7 days exposure to oxygen. Nearly under tears it went down the sink. Three weeks wait for nothing. So how was my first AG brew? No idea

• Sad 9

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

And the bad news is: Wanted to bottle the stout today, everything prepared. Took a last reading today, all good. But the taste, horrible, stinky sour. After adding the cacao nibs (the wort tasted delicious then) I knocked the airlock off when I covered the FV with the cardboard box. 7 days exposure to oxygen. Nearly under tears it went down the sink. Three weeks wait for nothing. So how was my first AG brew? No idea

That's rough mate, bad luck, I remember my first AG brew, I made every mistake in the book, but I still go to drink it.

Personally, I am a bit wary of adding things like chocolate, cocoa, coffee etc. to any of my brews but I know it can be done, with success however my thoughts would be maybe you should have stuck to the basics first time round.

Better luck with the next one mate, Cheers.

• Like 2