Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

The Carlton Draught Clone is underway in the 58 L Kegmenter  Batch # 99 AG batch # 56  44 L.

Pitched on the whole trub of DL yeast from the previous Outback Pub Lager which was kegged yesterday so this is the 4th dirty batch done on the same yeasties.  Original fresh yeast sachets were pitched 1st October 2022.

Currently being aerated at the moment and will do this for about an hour and a half.  Note my use of an extra air sanitiser in line.  It is simply a repurposed Keg filler auto stop with the spring and ball removed then sanitised cotton balls / paper towel acting as the filter element.  When its done this job the cotton balls/ paper towel are discarded and it get reassembled and becomes a auto stop keg filler again.  Too easy.

Aerating the Carlton Draught batch - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Currently being aerated at the moment and will do this for about an hour and a half.  Note my use of an extra air sanitiser in line.  It is simply a repurposed Keg filler auto stop with the spring and ball removed then sanitised cotton balls / paper towel acting as the filter element.  When its done this job the cotton balls/ paper towel are discarded and it get reassembled and becomes a auto stop keg filler again.  Too easy.

That seems like a long time to aerate.  Although, sometimes mine will have been sitting for 1/2 to 1 hour by the time I pitch the yeast. 

Do you use a fish tank aerator or an oxygen tank? 

Does the make-shift filter slow down the flow at all?  I read somewhere that if the air bubbles are reaching the surface, then you are not getting the oxygen into the wort.  Makes sense I suppose. 

Mine bubbles away furiously.  I figure, I must be getting some oxygen in the wort.  I can get quite a few litres of froth on the top.  Pitching dry yeast becomes a pain.  Given I often do concentrated worts and then top up the fermenter with water, I even had one day where I had so much froth, I could not fit all the top up water in the fermenter.  It took ages to die back down.

• Like 2

@Shamus O'Sean I have a question about aerating the wort like you just mentioned, how long does the wort retain the imparted oxygen before being released and losing the effect? Or once aerated it stays oxygen rich for quite a long time? 
I was concerned that once aerated, if I had to wait ages for the foam to die down I’d lose the benefit in the first place.

• Like 2

First brew down today in a loooong time. I had a can of Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale I've had for ages. Nearly past it's use buy so I decided to partial mash it. 2 kilos of Weyerman Pilsner, 1 kilo of Weyerman Wheat and 150 grams of Gladfield Dark Chrystal. Chucked in 30 grams of Fuggles hops at flameout. Should be tasty as the days grow shorter and cooler soon. Hopefully sparks me into brewing again.

20230214_184424.jpg

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

@Shamus O'Sean I have a question about aerating the wort like you just mentioned, how long does the wort retain the imparted oxygen before being released and losing the effect? Or once aerated it stays oxygen rich for quite a long time? 
I was concerned that once aerated, if I had to wait ages for the foam to die down I’d lose the benefit in the first place.

Good question.  I do not know the factual answer.  I reckon the wort stays oxygen rich for long enough to be of benefit to the yeast.  So this means for longer than it takes for the foam to die down.  How long does the yeast take to consume the yeast?  Again, I do not know.  A couple of hours, a day, a few days?

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 9:50 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Do you use a fish tank aerator or an oxygen tank? 

Does the make-shift filter slow down the flow at all?  I read somewhere that if the air bubbles are reaching the surface, then you are not getting the oxygen into the wort.  Makes sense I suppose. 

A fish tank aerator and yes, the filter does slow the air flow down a tad but no big deal as I am usually busy with other jobs anyway.  The make-shift filter is an extra, used in conjunction with the tiny disposable ones you get from KL.

If I am pitching dry yeast, I put the yeast in the FV before I dump the cube contents in but on some occasions, I have sprinkled the yeast on top of the foam.  When they re-hydrate they soon sink down into the wort.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Knock me down with a feather! Al, @iBooz2 is this a thing - we can do this if the wort's at pitching temp?

Yes mate you can! I do it all the time as it stops the yeast from being suspended in the foam and make contact with the wort immediately! Im guessing it speeds up the lag time by how much hand in the air emoji 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Catharina Sour update.  The frozen Mango log was about to go into one of my Fermenter King Juniors last night.  Except, I realised it would not fit in the fermenter opening.  Sterilised another Chux cloth and cooking string in boiling water.  Split the frozen mango chunks in equal amounts and added two fruit logs to the fermenter.  I did the same with the frozen Passionfruit Puree.  The Passionfruit was in ice cube blocks which made it easy to spread them along the "log". 

IMG_3616.JPG.b8f1877593d9d2d192b015c1a03a6ca9.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Bottle and Brew day Sunday

First up was the Wife's Lager, Bottled and another one put in the Fermenter

Bottled my Pale Ale And put in another Pale Ale

Monday, bottled a Mexican Cerveza and put a Real Ale on top of the yeast cake.

All three are in the brew fridge at 20 deg's.

Running short of ingredients, will have to go for a drive next week and stock up

At the moment I have 150 Ale's for Me and 120 Lager's for the Wife, ageing. 

Plus two batches of Stout

And three brews in the Fermenter.

Storage area is overflowing again, Happy!

Life is Good

• Like 3

On 2/1/2023 at 7:19 AM, beach_life said:

Please report back

Reporting back on the MJ Raspberry Seltzer. Added 500g of Raspberries to the FV, and it definitely needed the sweetner. Initial taste prior to the sweetner was pretty bad.

SWMBO loves it, and is keen for me to brew more of it. So seems to be alright - I don't like it - however to me its drinkable lolly water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Keeping a close eye on my Wheat Beer as it’s going nuts starting to climb out of the fermenter, I used the bucket style for this beer as I suspected this may happen. Going to change over the air lock with a spare. 

Hey Red, would you not be better off with just a blow off tube into a jar of sanitiser?