Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

Busy few days..

Bottled the Wife's Ginger Beer and put a Lager in for her.

Put a SMOTY Ale in one fermenter

Coopers Dark Ale can, One kilo of Dark Dry Malt

200g Maltodextrin, 150g Roasted Barley, Steeped 40 min

30g Pride of Ringwood

Bottled a Pale Ale

Put a "Voyage Amber Ale" in another fermenter

Coopers Pale Ale can, 1.2k LDM

250g Maltodextrin

100g Roasted Barley, 100g Carapils, Steeped 40 min

30g Cascade Hops boiled 5

(Not quite to recipe, measured the barley, then the Light Crystal but had the wrong pack! So it's with Carapils instead.)

• Like 7

Kegging Day for the Miners Stout from Black Rock, I scored 6 x 660ml bottles as well.

This has been in the FV at ambient since 4th March & has maintained the 20-22 temp the whole-time using S-04 yeast.

All tucked up in the Keg fridge now, I have a little Bootmaker Pale to finish tonight & the IPA will go in the keg & I will raise the temp to 30-40psi for 24 hours & hopefully be drinking both in a few days.

20230322_111203.jpg

20230322_112029.jpg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Kegging Day for the Miners Stout from Black Rock, I scored 6 x 660ml bottles as well.

This has been in the FV at ambient since 4th March & has maintained the 20-22 temp the whole-time using S-04 yeast.

All tucked up in the Keg fridge now, I have a little Bootmaker Pale to finish tonight & the IPA will go in the keg & I will raise the temp to 30-40psi for 24 hours & hopefully be drinking both in a few days.

20230322_111203.jpg

20230322_112029.jpg

Looks good mate.

Doing my first Mangrove Jacks Simcoe IPA and its going like a champ. 

steady at 21 degrees for fermenting. I pitched it on Saturday and it was 39 degrees outside but cool change hit a few hours after but I think that the initial warmth of the ambient air kick started it well. Best Krausen I have had as per photo.

Last kit of theirs I made came up too hoppy so I am going to put in half the hopps in a hop sock for just teh last 2 days tops.

1.jpg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

supplementary question to all.

What's the best way to store hops once I have opened a packet?.

Ziplock?

Glass jar?

Freezer? 

OR do I just chuck them out?

Best practice is to weigh out what you need. Put the rest in a bag preferably vacuum sealed and pop it in the freezer. That way it will stay as fresh as it can be. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey Brains trust

I have a lime tree that seems to make more limes that a normal lime loving family can use each year. 

Has anyone ever put the juice of limes in a K&K coopers Mexican (corona clone) beer?

If so what sort of quantity in a 23 lt mix

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cult Of One said:

Hey Brains trust

I have a lime tree that seems to make more limes that a normal lime loving family can use each year. 

Has anyone ever put the juice of limes in a K&K coopers Mexican (corona clone) beer?

If so what sort of quantity in a 23 lt mix

Deuce Lager and Lime Milkshake IPA are 2 Coopers brews that use lime juice.  Half a cup and 1 Lime worth respectively.  Although the Deuce Lager uses the Canadian Blonde can, you could easily use the Mexican Cerveza can instead.  I have not made either.  But the Deuce sounds nice.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2023 at 7:40 AM, Cult Of One said:

supplementary question to all.

What's the best way to store hops once I have opened a packet?.

Ziplock?

Glass jar?

Freezer? 

OR do I just chuck them out?

Vacuum seal them and keep them in the freezer. 

• Like 3

Last batch got contaminated with some phenol-producing intruder, so another batch went down today:

Wakatu Gold.  As the name suggests, a golden ale featuring Gladfield malts and Wakatu hops!  A 20 litre BIAB effort, and a fresh pack of dry Voss, of which I'm just about to pitch... well actually, just 1/2 packet being a kveik yeast.  Should be plenty.     

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Last batch got contaminated with some phenol-producing intruder, so another batch went down today:

Wakatu Gold.  As the name suggests, a golden ale featuring Gladfield malts and Wakatu hops!  A 20 litre BIAB effort, and a fresh pack of dry Voss, of which I'm just about to pitch... well actually, just 1/2 packet being a kveik yeast.  Should be plenty.     

Are you using the same fermenter fella? If so how are you treating it after the infection?

• Like 2

Another busy few days..

Bottled the "Voyage Amber Ale" 

Put a Dark Ale in!

Coopers Pale Ale can, One kilo of Dark dry Malt

250g Maltodextrin 

250g Light Crystal Malt, steeped 40 min

30g Pride of Ringwood hops boiled 10

Over summer I fell behind, (sad face) I've now caught up again

Two Brews in the ferment Fridge, Nine Brews ageing,

I can go back to one a week till next time I get behind the Beer Curve.

"Big Smile"

• Like 11

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

Another busy few days..

Bottled the "Voyage Amber Ale" 

Put a Dark Ale in!

Coopers Pale Ale can, One kilo of Dark dry Malt

250g Maltodextrin 

250g Light Crystal Malt, steeped 40 min

30g Pride of Ringwood hops boiled 10

Over summer I fell behind, (sad face) I've now caught up again

Two Brews in the ferment Fridge, Nine Brews ageing,

I can go back to one a week till next time I get behind the Beer Curve.

"Big Smile"

Great stuff mate, lovin' your emoji's :-))

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

All grain Hefeweizen. 60% wheat 40% pilsner. Bittered and flavoured with saaz hops. Nearly ready to keg. The smells from this are amazing. Beautiful banana scent. I can't wait to drink this.

20230329_130508.jpg

Looks magnificent PM, great stuff.  

• Like 1

Top shelf is the KL FWK Fresh3 cubed NEIPA base (+200 grams Lactose) fermenting with Verdant Yeast and will be dry hopped with 100grams of Eclipse - 20 litre volume.

Bottom shelf is the Coopers Aussie Pale Ale extract with 1.5kg Wheat malt extract and 300 grams of dry light malt - Ferment with Nott yeast - thinking a 40 gram dry hop of Galaxy - volume 24 litres.

337533378_244424927952193_9173769702951267015_n.jpg

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 9

28 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Bottom shelf is the Coopers Aussie Pale Ale extract with 1.5kg Wheat malt extract and 300 grams of dry light malt - Ferment with Nott yeast - thinking a 40 gram dry hop of Galaxy - volume 24 litres.

I used 60gms of Galaxy in my current IPA & that really gave it the hop presence I was after; I know some don't agree with me but IMO you need at least 50gms of hops to achieve that, I will be repeating my last procedure with just a late infusion 4 days before kegging, I don't bother to boil them, but I have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I used 60gms of Galaxy in my current IPA & that really gave it the hop presence I was after; I know some don't agree with me but IMO you need at least 50gms of hops to achieve that, I will be repeating my last procedure with just a late infusion 4 days before kegging, I don't bother to boil them, but I have.

Cheers mate, I might just do a late infusion - Thanks Phil.