Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

Day 6 in the FV for the AG - American Pale Ale & I seem to have a very large yeast deposit.

There was only 10gms US-05 & 60gms of hops in the recipe. I had a sneaky check, looks normal & smells OK so I am wondering why there is so much on the bottom.

Anyone else had this with an AG brew?

Cheers.

20230418_140256.jpg

• Like 2

Got my big stout in the FV at the moment. 

It’s pulled up at 1.023 - down from 1.070.  Still I think it’s pulled up a bit short as the previous one (same recipe) finished at 1.018. Maybe the three packs of coopers yeast weren’t up to it after all!

So I’ve kick started a Nottingham slurry to see if I can get it going again. Hopefully the notto will finish it off 👍

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Day 6 in the FV for the AG - American Pale Ale & I seem to have a very large yeast deposit.

There was only 10gms US-05 & 60gms of hops in the recipe. I had a sneaky check, looks normal & smells OK so I am wondering why there is so much on the bottom.

Anyone else had this with an AG brew?

Cheers.

20230418_140256.jpg

Probably just the hot and cold break, plus some hop particles from the mash and boil. Did you use any kettle finings such as whirlfloc, that can help at the end of the boil? I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you cold crash it and fine with gelatine or something it may help to compact it in the bottom of the fermenter before you rack it off to a keg or bottles.

My latest brew has been cold crashing for a day and I will shortly add some gelatine finings to give it a final clear before kegging.

16 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Probably just the hot and cold break, plus some hop particles from the mash and boil. Did you use any kettle finings such as whirlfloc, that can help at the end of the boil? I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you cold crash it and fine with gelatine or something it may help to compact it in the bottom of the fermenter before you rack it off to a keg or bottles.

My latest brew has been cold crashing for a day and I will shortly add some gelatine finings to give it a final clear before kegging.

OK mate, yes, I did use whirlfloc x1 as per recipe, & I will CC before kegging, I am at the LHBS on Thursday & I will pick up some finings. I have never seen it like that before.

Cheers Phil.

• Like 1

Yes a good point @Uhtred Of Beddanburg. The Coopers FV having feet and the convex shape to the bottom deal very well with trub, it helps to stop sucking it out when racking the beer out to a keg or bottles. Comparing the photo of my FV to @Classic Brewing Co FV my tap is clear of the trub but the quantities of trub are probably similar between the 2 different FV's.

I just need to remember to tap my FV in that area above the tap before I keg it, always get some trub there and if you don't tap to clear, it does get sucked into the line when racking. 

2426e.jpg

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Classic Brewing Co probably better off using a coopers fermenter next time so the tap is not so close to the bottom near the gunk. But yes lots of sediment for AG beer. Suppose each beer is unique though.

Only problem is the Coopers FV will not fit in the brew fridge as it was converted to a keg fridge.

Of course, it can be done at ambient, yeast permitting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Only problem is the Coopers FV will not fit in the brew fridge as it was converted to a keg fridge.

Of course, it can be done at ambient, yeast permitting.

Damn that's a shame about coopers FV good luck with it anyway. Was the brew like that right from the start or just after everything dropping out of suspension?

@kmar92 yes I always try to clear the Tap a bit before kegging as well. I always get a bit of gunk during the tilt at the end. In a whole keg it's minimal and gone in a few glasses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Damn that's a shame about coopers FV good luck with it anyway. Was the brew like that right from the start or just after everything dropping out of suspension?

@kmar92 yes I always try to clear the Tap a bit before kegging as well. I always get a bit of gunk during the tilt at the end. In a whole keg it's minimal and gone in a few glasses.

I was thinking about running a sample through the tap to check, I also have the KL SS Syphon but that would stir it up too much to get it going.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I was thinking about running a sample through the tap to check, I also have the KL SS Syphon but that would stir it up too much to get it going.

Thats probably not a bad idea to cold crash it then syphon into the keg or bottle etc. 

Yanks do it all the time brew in fermenter without taps and syphon the brew. Not saying best way to do it all the time but would be good way around this.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Thats probably not a bad idea to cold crash it then syphon into the keg or bottle etc. 

Yanks do it all the time brew in fermenter without taps and syphon the brew. Not saying best way to do it all the time but would be good way around this.

Yeah, I think I will give it every chance I can, Cold Crash, Finings & it should be easier to keg without too much trub.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Hopefully it works out for you it's annoying when something unexpected happens

True, it is disturbing to see that much trub around the tap but as discussed, another week in the FV & a CC & finings should correct it.

Cheers.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

I'm still in experimental mode (I'm trying to find the sweet spot of producing really cheap beer while having it still taste somewhat appealing). Just used the last of my fresh hops in a steep with a can of Cooper's Draught and a bag of enhancer.

The previous two brews I did with bittering hops as well as aromatic (one was Cooper's Real Ale, the other Lager),  so this should be a bit more conservative. Keen to see the difference with enhancer, as my previous brews were half LME and half caster sugar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I'm still in experimental mode (I'm trying to find the sweet spot of producing really cheap beer while having it still taste somewhat appealing). Just used the last of my fresh hops in a steep with a can of Cooper's Draught and a bag of enhancer.

The previous two brews I did with bittering hops as well as aromatic (one was Cooper's Real Ale, the other Lager),  so this should be a bit more conservative. Keen to see the difference with enhancer, as my previous brews were half LME and half caster sugar.

I'm currently drinking a beer that I used white sugar in for the first time. I'd been advised against it on this forum by some but I wanted to find out for myself. They described the flavour it would produce as "cidery". I guess it is but it's not a bad thing. I'd say it's tangy, which I reckon could be a good thing for a summertime beer. As you're about to exclude the white sugar in your beer I think you'll notice the slightly smoother flavour dextrose brings. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malter White said:

I'm currently drinking a beer that I used white sugar in for the first time. I'd been advised against it on this forum by some but I wanted to find out for myself. They described the flavour it would produce as "cidery". I guess it is but it's not a bad thing. I'd say it's tangy, which I reckon could be a good thing for a summertime beer. As you're about to exclude the white sugar in your beer I think you'll notice the slightly smoother flavour dextrose brings. 

I would agree Malter that white sugar does & can produce a cidery taste if too much is used & of course added malt helps to give it more body. I have found that a generous quantity of hops soon sorts this out, for example I use a minimum of 50gms in an extract brew of 23 litres & for priming just 1 tsp (4.1gms approx) in a Longneck & 1/2 in a 500ml bottle.

I understand that not everyone is a hop freak but for the few I bottle these days it tastes fine.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would agree Malter that white sugar does & can produce a cidery taste if too much is used & of course added malt helps to give it more body. I have found that a generous quantity of hops soon sorts this out,

This could explain why I've found the taste favourable because even though I used a fair amount of white sugar I also used PoR hops which may have offset the cider-iness others have written about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malter White said:

This could explain why I've found the taste favourable because even though I used a fair amount of white sugar I also used PoR hops which may have offset the cider-iness others have written about.

I stopped using carb drops years ago & when I first started using just plain white sugar, I used a bit more than a teaspoon & now just 1, & there is no cidery taste but out of the keg it tastes even better. I found the carb drops made the beer taste too sweet.

I like to try a lot of different hops & some really do produce a nice bitterness along with the flavour I have become used to.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:16 PM, kmar92 said:

Yes a good point @Uhtred Of Beddanburg. The Coopers FV having feet and the convex shape to the bottom deal very well with trub, it helps to stop sucking it out when racking the beer out to a keg or bottles. Comparing the photo of my FV to @Classic Brewing Co FV my tap is clear of the trub but the quantities of trub are probably similar between the 2 different FV's.

I just need to remember to tap my FV in that area above the tap before I keg it, always get some trub there and if you don't tap to clear, it does get sucked into the line when racking. 

2426e.jpg

Tap to clear the shelf above the tap. That's a good tip. I hope I remember come bottling day.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 3:41 PM, Oldbloke said:

Yesterday put in my version of the Russian Imperial Stout.

1 can Stout

1 can Dark ale

400 grams Dark dried malt extract

500 grams Extra light dried malt extract

100 grams corn syrup.

Not the same but along the lines of the recipee.

And they are right, volcanic froth.  🤣

Now the long 6 month wait. 🤨  😄

I bottled this one today. Abt 13 days in the FV.  Made it 23 litres. But instead of bulk prime 190gr of sugar I only used 160gr.  History tells me these strong stouts can build up a fair bit of pressure over time. I'll keep her warm for a few days. Then its the long 6 month wait.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I bottled this one today. Abt 13 days in the FV.  Made it 23 litres. But instead of bulk prime 190gr of sugar I only used 160gr.  History tells me these strong stouts can build up a fair bit of pressure over time. I'll keep her warm for a few days. Then its the long 6 month wait.

And due to the nature of bulk priming, and in trying not to disturb the trub in the process, the first ones bottled will have slightly more sugar content than the last ones bottled.  The SG of the sugar mix V the SG of the beer dictates that physical process.  I would label them from 1 to say 30 and drink them from the lowest number first and finish off on the 30th or whatever bottle.

Hope it turns out a good stout for you.  I am looking at doing one as soon as I can clear the BrewQue and bit.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

And due to the nature of bulk priming, and in trying not to disturb the trub in the process, the first ones bottled will have slightly more sugar content than the last ones bottled.  The SG of the sugar mix V the SG of the beer dictates that physical process.  I would label them from 1 to say 30 and drink them from the lowest number first and finish off on the 30th or whatever bottle.

Hope it turns out a good stout for you.  I am looking at doing one as soon as I can clear the BrewQue and bit.

Mmm, can't say I have noticed that. Are you saying the sugar in the syrup tends to settle to the bottom? 

A very basic brew into the fermenter this afternoon: Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract with Coopers Brew Enhancer 2. No extra malt (lack of resources lol). Did add 25g Coopers Galaxy pellets made into a chux bag and steeped in 2 cups boiling water for 15 minutes. Brought to 23 litres and pitched yeast.  Brew temp. 22/24 deg, room temp 24, outside temp 26. OG is 103.5 

• Like 5