Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

A 23litre Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA went into the fermenter this afternoon. Mixed with 1.5kg of Coopers Light Dry Malt and yeast supplied with the extract ; and that's all.  In appearance the brew is a dark 'plummy' tan colour; with froth on top, no big floaties, and a light sediment on the bottom already.  OG is 1044.

The brew is 20/22 deg, with room temp of 21 and outside temp of 24. With maximums now down to 24 degrees all this week, I should have no trouble keeping the brew at 21 deg! It will be a new beer for me after my run pale ales with different hop additions.

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, jennyss said:

A 23litre Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA went into the fermenter this afternoon. Mixed with 1.5kg of Coopers Light Dry Malt and yeast supplied with the extract ; and that's all.  In appearance the brew is a dark 'plummy' tan colour; with froth on top, no big floaties, and a light sediment on the bottom already.  OG is 1044.

The brew is 20/22 deg, with room temp of 21 and outside temp of 24. With maximums now down to 24 degrees all this week, I should have no trouble keeping the brew at 21 deg! It will be a new beer for me after my run pale ales with different hop additions.

Great stuff Jenny, you will be happy with Brew A it is a great beer. I added 50gms of Cascade for an extra hop sensation but that doesn't mean you have to as the cans are pre-hopped.

Good luck with it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

It's a great kit the Brew A. I think you'll appreciate the hoppiness it has without having to add them yourself. 

• Like 5

My Coopers Brew A IPA has been three days in the fermenter.  With the 1.5kg of light dry malt added, I suppose it is to be expected that it had a very vigorous krausen for two days. What I'm really wondering about is: Why do brews change colour so dramatically? This brew has gone from a very dark plummy brown to a mid to light tan in three days!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, jennyss said:

My Coopers Brew A IPA has been three days in the fermenter.  With the 1.5kg of light dry malt added, I suppose it is to be expected that it had a very vigorous krausen for two days. What I'm really wondering about is: Why do brews change colour so dramatically? This brew has gone from a very dark plummy brown to a mid to light tan in three days!

Just the yeast doing it’s thing it will darken once it settles out again after fermentation slows/stops!

• Like 4

• Well, I kegged a brew last night (Hoegaarden).
  • Still got my Mister Sinister tribute fermenting.
  • Empty spot in a fermenting fridge.
  • Couple of cans of Coopers unhopped extract in the cupboard, hops in the freezer, but no Coopers hopped extract.
  • What the heck, race out and get a can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale and do a quick extract brew.

Galaxial Eclipse Australian Pale Ale

• 27 litre batch
  • 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale
  • 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Extract
  • 615g Light Dry Malt
  • 100g Dextrose (LDM and Dex to get the brew around 4.5% ABV)
  • 32g Galaxy hop steep 20 minutes
  • 44g Eclipse dry hop
  • Like 7

Knocked up a Battleship Bitter today. I’m still into the KnKs notwithstanding the AG. One hour twenty from starting the boil of the LME to pitching.

Here’s a few piccies.

Also making a fresh Coopers culture for an AG COPA the day after tomorrow (recipe courtesy of @iBooz2, cheers mate!

04B64EB3-6A5E-4251-9A65-57E1D62C9FB1.jpeg

671C9598-AB3A-4319-ACDB-1D08B6CE5E5C.jpeg

11942E33-2BFF-4DA7-87A4-C5D45F642A51.jpeg

D97B0F26-8680-418E-A66C-77DDF31A731D.jpeg

BD10806C-E365-4F6C-B140-0A06C45882AD.jpeg

B054335A-8AF6-40F7-9CA8-17E6345B6A6C.jpeg

6B892086-5379-47E6-A696-FB21DFCED21A.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 12

I am also still on Knks, the Brewzilla comes out when wifey goes overseas end of the month and I can make all the mess I can on the hopefully first 2-3 brews to learn in peace how to use it in the best way, ha,ha.

Did both ROTM of last month, Cali Coast IPA and the Amber Ale. Let's hope the weather stays cool.

b54a7b2b-bd9b-4726-a202-8f79a0c3f827.jpg

IMG_6185.JPG

• Like 12

On 4/2/2023 at 7:34 AM, RDT2 said:

Just the yeast doing it’s thing it will darken once it settles out again after fermentation slows/stops!

You are right @RDT2, the Brew A IPA was bottled yesterday; and the brew did darken again! After starting at OG 1044, the brew finished at FG 1008; so I think the yeast did its work.

And on Tuesday there will be another brew in the fermenter; my husband's Woolworths Draught.

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, stquinto said:

Knocked up a Battleship Bitter today. I’m still into the KnKs notwithstanding the AG. One hour twenty from starting the boil of the LME to pitching.

Here’s a few piccies.

Also making a fresh Coopers culture for an AG COPA the day after tomorrow (recipe courtesy of @iBooz2, cheers mate!

04B64EB3-6A5E-4251-9A65-57E1D62C9FB1.jpeg

671C9598-AB3A-4319-ACDB-1D08B6CE5E5C.jpeg

11942E33-2BFF-4DA7-87A4-C5D45F642A51.jpeg

D97B0F26-8680-418E-A66C-77DDF31A731D.jpeg

BD10806C-E365-4F6C-B140-0A06C45882AD.jpeg

B054335A-8AF6-40F7-9CA8-17E6345B6A6C.jpeg

6B892086-5379-47E6-A696-FB21DFCED21A.jpeg

I love the pink stool that you have the FV on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Galaxial Eclipse Australian Pale Ale

• 27 litre batch
  • 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale
  • 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Extract
  • 615g Light Dry Malt
  • 100g Dextrose (LDM and Dex to get the brew around 4.5% ABV)
  • 32g Galaxy hop steep 20 minutes
  • 44g Eclipse dry hop

I have an Eclipse Aus Pale Ale coming up next in the brew queue and I’m keen as for it.  I had a Philter Eclipse Haze at the pub a few weeks ago and thought I must have more of this. I was just thinking over this week that Galaxy would probably be a good addition to the recipe. Keep us posted how this goes, would love to hear about the results @Shamus O'Sean !

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

I have an Eclipse Aus Pale Ale coming up next in the brew queue and I’m keen as for it.  I had a Philter Eclipse Haze at the pub a few weeks ago and thought I must have more of this. I was just thinking over this week that Galaxy would probably be a good addition to the recipe. Keep us posted how this goes, would love to hear about the results @Shamus O'Sean !

My brew yesterday was inspired by the Coopers recipe Eclipse Australian Pale Ale.  I did not have enough Eclipse hops for the recipe.  I also thought Galaxy would be a good match for Eclipse. 

I was going to do a 50/50 mix of the hops in both steep and dry hop.  My only concern was the Galaxy hops I had were a bit old and had lost some of their fruity aroma and gained a slight grassy aroma.  Hence why I put all of them in the steep and decided to keep the Eclipse for the dry hop.  In my experience, steeping does not seem to impart as much flavours as dry hopping.  Hopefully the grassiness stays out of this brew.

• Like 6

Apple and blackcurrant cider nearing FG at day 8.

10 litres of apple juice + 10 litres of apple blackcurrant juice. Sample taste of cider points to an improvement on previous version where I used ale yeast. The cider yeast has given it a cleaner less tart flavour.

Coopers Draught at day 2.

A simple 22 litre KnK.

IMG_20230409_143313.jpg

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Apple and blackcurrant cider nearing FG at day 8.

10 litres of apple juice + 10 litres of apple blackcurrant juice. Sample taste of cider points to an improvement on previous version where I used ale yeast. The cider yeast has given it a cleaner less tart flavour.

Coopers Draught at day 2.

A simple 22 litre KnK.

The Cider sounds like it should have a nice taste Malter, I like it with a bit of kick & a dry tart taste, I guess you don't want it too high ABV? 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

@Shamus O'SeanI was thinking I’d do a 50/50 also. I was going to make a recipe correct eclipse PA first and then go the mix after but youve inspired me to just go straight for the combo! I will pickup some fresh Galaxy and have a crack this week.

Yeah, I think fresh Galaxy is the way to go.  This is the second lot that lost its potency, even though sealed and stored in the freezer.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The Cider sounds like it should have a nice taste Malter, I like it with a bit of kick & a dry tart taste, I guess you don't want it too high ABV? 

Currant-ly 🙂 it's around 5.2%. If the SG drops any further obviously it'll increase a little. I'm going to keg 8 litres in one of those Kegland plastic kegs and the rest in bottles so the bottles might get in the region of 6%. The cider is for my girls so Mrs White will probably drink it as is but our daughter will most likely add juice or lemonade when pouring to add some sweetness.

• Like 5

Slow & steady today for me, just transferred my All Grain Sierra Nevada Clone from cube to fermenter, all sealed up to work it’s magic. 
‘Hit all my numbers on this one, which by my calculations will give me a 3.5% beer, perfect. 
‘Ferment@19 degrees with trusty US-05.

FB7FDBE0-ACC6-4F05-89CE-0737A9F46318.jpeg

• Like 13

On 4/9/2023 at 3:54 AM, stquinto said:

No worries Sainter, I must get another couple of batches going myself.  Have made 7 batches so far and they don't last long around here ha ha,  my last keg must be getting dangerously low as it is sipping superbly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1