Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

Bottled my Real Ale today and put another brew in.

Coopers Pale Ale

700g Light Dry Malt, 300g Dextrose 300g Maltodextrin

200g Light Crystal Malt, steeped for 40 min

30g Cascade Hops Boiled for 10 min

This used up the last of my cans, the LDM and the Crystal

Bulk shopping Friday!

• Like 6

Brew day at Classic Brewing Co - Black Rock Miners Stout

This one will go in keg 4 the one connected to the Stout Tap Spout which I haven't tried yet.

All tucked away in the sneaky little room behind the kitchen.

I used S-04 in this one again as the last one turned out nice. SG was 1.053.

20230304_104010.jpg

20230304_110907.jpg

20230304_113345.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Coopers Irish Stout, as per recommended recipe.

IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.a331586db6a08aea81d05ca6b6b72e3a.JPG

Does anyone have more info on the yeast? It's R3554 and according to the yeast code list it's a "various ale yeast". Does it appear in other kits? 

Not info that's given but most likely re packaged Nottingham or S-04

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 4

There is a nice krausen forming on my Stout, it's been in the fermenter just on 20 hours, the S04 kicks in fairly quick & develops a healthy krausen & after a few days falls back int the wort giving you the impression the yeast has stalled.

I am currently drinking one of these so I know it will be OK brewing at ambient temperature.

20230305_073708.jpg

20230305_073756.jpg

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

There is a nice krausen forming on my Stout, it's been in the fermenter just on 20 hours, the S04 kicks in fairly quick & develops a healthy krausen & after a few days falls back int the wort giving you the impression the yeast has stalled.

I am currently drinking one of these so I know it will be OK brewing at ambient temperature.

20230305_073708.jpg

20230305_073756.jpg

Darks go ok at ambient. Even if there are some off flavours the dark roasted malts tend to mask it somewhat. I'd just be careful that S04 doesn't drop below 18c. Otherwise it can stall on you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Darks go ok at ambient. Even if there are some off flavours the dark roasted malts tend to mask it somewhat. I'd just be careful that S04 doesn't drop below 18c. Otherwise it can stall on you.

Hi Greeny,

Yes, I am aware of that, but I brewed one a few weeks ago & it didn't get below 20-22c, this one is currently sitting on closer to 24c as there would be heat from the fermenting process. The current room temp is 22c, so I think it is all OK, I appreciate your comment.

The photo is a bit hard to read but it is on 24c as that segment is the brightest. Cheers.

20230305_084952.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/28/2023 at 9:43 PM, Stickers said:

i did a SMOTY on sunday!

last year i threw a saison yeast at it (just a little bit too much flavour and bite) but this year just doing it as per the recipe too. it's a tasty drop!

Following on from a discussion elsewhere asking if anybody put extra fermentables in a SMOTY I had another go on Friday.

in addition to the recipe I added 500 grams of dextrose, 500 grams of LDME and steeped 250 grams of Carapils.
I thought I had some other grain lying around. I was going to use some Crystal grain, but Carapils it was.
I made this up to 25 litres too. Originally I made it 23, but took a reading and worked out it would be 8.?%.
That would be a tad strong for me, so topped it up to 25 litres.
Added the yeast I saved from the SMOTY, and wooooooffffff off it went..😁
No waiting for the yeast to get going on this one.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Graculus said:

Following on from a discussion elsewhere asking if anybody put extra fermentables in a SMOTY I had another go on Friday.

in addition to the recipe I added 500 grams of dextrose, 500 grams of LDME and steeped 250 grams of Carapils.
I thought I had some other grain lying around. I was going to use some Crystal grain, but Carapils it was.
I made this up to 25 litres too. Originally I made it 23, but took a reading and worked out it would be 8.?%.
That would be a tad strong for me, so topped it up to 25 litres.
Added the yeast I saved from the SMOTY, and wooooooffffff off it went..😁
No waiting for the yeast to get going on this one.

looking forward to your tasting notes on the super SMOTY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think Anarchy IPA was my first foray into the recipes with grain and hops etc and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit reluctant to make overly hoppy ones for bottling as they would fade, but since I’ll keg this it’ll stay cold so presumably the hop fade will not be so noticeable.

Bit of a boil-over too, but not too dramatic 😳

067FCDB0-CA0C-4E98-9DD6-A95C1E2AF952.jpeg

B0372057-5966-4672-90A8-1CD40D580398.jpeg

65A426E8-8C53-4742-B1BC-1687F61031E3.jpeg

5956BE38-5076-485C-B448-6F8A675B63E4.jpeg

C9412367-C3A1-4EB6-B4DB-1431C6E101B8.jpeg

D679176B-9735-492E-B074-758BA7A9611D.jpeg

• Like 10

Kegland FWK True Blue Bitter - Predicted FG 1.013.

Not sure what went  awry here but ended up with an Estimated FG of 1.006 Original gravity was on target. Volume was correct so a bit stumped.

Sample tastes fine....will add a 25 gram dry hop of POR to this one.

333264234_721200689474767_8299402503744152689_n.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mickep said:

will add a 25 gram dry hop of POR to this one.

Hi @Mickep

Will the POR hops add aroma or taste at this late stage? Are you about to bottle or keg? Tomorrow I plan to add a steeped 12g Galaxy "teabag' on day 9 to my Coopers Pale Ale extract brew. 24g went in when I mixed the brew. I am after a stronger hoppy taste.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mickep said:

Not sure what went  awry here but ended up with an Estimated FG of 1.006 Original gravity was on target. Volume was correct so a bit stumped.

What yeast did you use, Mick? Lager yeasts can get that low. Plus the wort was probably brewed to be highly fermentable, so it tastes crisper.

• Like 3

@jennyssi recently did a pacific ale with 50g hop tea of Galaxy and then a 50g dry hop. After two weeks in the bottle I tried it, definitely heavy Galaxy aroma and flavour, like being smacked in the face with it haha! Definitely understood the occasional description of Galaxy having some “dank” aroma. Very good though. The hop tea was made by adding hops to water just after it was taken off the boil. I have learned in hindsight that this is probably what added a fair amount of bitterness I could’ve done without, and will add it at water that’s about 80-85deg next time.

After a few more weeks it has mellowed out a bit, less blast of aroma, just pleasant citrusy smell, and beautiful taste. If you’re not sure I would say dry hop/hop tea bag with at least 25g and see how you go. If it’s good then you nailed it, if not then double it next time.

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Hi @Mickep

Will the POR hops add aroma or taste at this late stage? Are you about to bottle or keg? Tomorrow I plan to add a steeped 12g Galaxy "teabag' on day 9 to my Coopers Pale Ale extract brew. 24g went in when I mixed the brew. I am after a stronger hoppy taste.

Jenny, I have found that POR added to the brew in the last few days before kegging/bottling gives you an extended hop experience to hopping earlier.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What yeast did you use, Mick? Lager yeasts can get that low. Plus the wort was probably brewed to be highly fermentable, so it tastes crisper.

BRY 97 AWCA - I've done this one quite a few times but never got this low before.

• Like 3

Hi @Mickep

I'm adding it just to add some flavour and a slight aroma...it'll fade quick enough but this FWK is a bit bland without the addition to my taste. I know some here might go with a larger quantity when dry hopping to try and assist with the hop fade. Possibly your  steep will have a longer lasting effect compared to a dry hop.

• Like 2

Hi @Mickep

Hi Jenny,

Just my newbie experience here, atm I have been brewing madly for the last 6 months, and some of these brews I have hopped and dry hopped with galaxy.. 2-3 months in the bottle and the awesome galaxy aroma has faded! WTF!! I have 23 cartons worth in reserve and circumstances have led to this situation lol... Point being, dry hop and drink your brew within a month and you will be golden, but if you leave your brew to "mature" for 3 months those hop pellet aromas will fade so it will be a waste of money. Some of my dry hopped galaxy beers were amazing, but leaving them for 3 months all the hop flavour was gone.. Also, if you're turning over your brews every couple of weeks the extra hoppy goodness helps to hide any off twangy garbage flavours and surprisingly my mates have loved these brews and of course decimated my stocks ffs 😩😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mickep said:

Kegland FWK True Blue Bitter - Predicted FG 1.013.

Sample tastes fine....will add a 25 gram dry hop of POR to this one.

333264234_721200689474767_8299402503744152689_n.jpg

Mate, you're golden.. you've outclassed Kee and the boys.. nothing wrong there bottle away 👍🏻

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

2-3 months in the bottle and the awesome galaxy aroma has faded!

I think you must be right @Cheap Charlie,  hopped home brew needs to be drunk within three or four weeks to enjoy the hoppy aroma.  I will start upping the quantity and type of hops, and experimenting with different steep/boil/time of inclusion methods.

• Like 2

I think you must be right @Cheap Charlie,  hopped home brew needs to be drunk within three or four weeks to enjoy the hoppy aroma.  I will start upping the quantity and type of hops, and experimenting with different steep/boil/time of inclusion methods.

That's correct @jennyss the hope fade starts occurring early so there is no point storing Ales for long periods, of course the amount of hops makes a difference, I use a minimum of 50gm in most Pale Ales, even more in IPA's.

Lagers are meant to be stored longer but I tend to brew mainly other types.

There are so many methods & variations to adding hops, so it is a matter of experimenting & finding out what suits you best.

• Like 3

My latest Coopers Aust. Pale Ale extract brew has been 7 days in the fermenter. When I mixed the brew I added BE2, Light Dry Malt, and 2 x 12g bags of Galaxy hops, steeped for 15 minutes. 

OG was 1043 and FG is now 1008, exactly the same as my last Pale Ale brew. I have just added my last Galaxy hop bag; steeped for 15 minutes. I'm going to bottle on Thursday; day 9.

I see online that Coopers have a free shipping offer until March 14th. I am going to run amok and buy hops, extract, and other extras.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1