Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

43 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Should boil that
Ingredients look good, process looks shite

Agreed BUT.  Should boil the liquid from the grain steep for min 5 minutes then allow it to cool to say 80 C then add the hops to that.  @Classic Brewing Co Don't boil both the grain steep and the hops as that will make the IBU's higher.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

Should boil the liquid from the grain steep for min 5 minutes then allow it to cool to say 80 C then add the hops to that.

Perfect and what I would have written if I had thought a little

actually meant to highlight the grain bit, not the hops

Edited by beach_life
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hefeweizen 

Fermenting at 22 degrees C. 
You can’t tell from the photo but already I can see an ominous krausen forming. Hopefully it stays within the confines of the FV!

206DF450-A2D1-4C10-82A2-5ADECCA37E1D.thumb.jpeg.63d76e279c69f6c5e16a0312178c030e.jpeg

Munich Classic, keep an eye on it as it can be an FV escapee 🥲

been a bit lazy and yet to start a brew this year but

at a recent friend's birthday i got to talking with one of the guests that was an all grainer.. and then one of my mates piqued up with a bit of interest that i've been homebrewing so they're coming over on sunday and i plan to do one of the two ROTM kits i have lying around and one of the FWK cubes to fully demonstrate the ease of getting started. and whilst i have some labour here learning on the job so to speak, time for a good keg and keg fridge clean 🍻

• Like 8

Checked my waimea pale ale and it's down to 1.012 after 72 hours which should be close to FG . Verdant certainly gets it done. Was hoping to dry hop with 6 points or so to go but have thrown them in. Taste of the sample was nice but definitely not a wow. Maybe after the dry hop the waimea hop will excite me a little more. Will do another taste test each day to see how the dry hop coming through then keg it off when I think its at its peak.

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/17033-brew-day-what-have-ya-got-2023/?do=findComment&comment=281467

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Stickers said:

been a bit lazy and yet to start a brew this year but

at a recent friend's birthday i got to talking with one of the guests that was an all grainer.. and then one of my mates piqued up with a bit of interest that i've been homebrewing so they're coming over on sunday and i plan to do one of the two ROTM kits i have lying around and one of the FWK cubes to fully demonstrate the ease of getting started. and whilst i have some labour here learning on the job so to speak, time for a good keg and keg fridge clean 🍻

Sounds like fun @Stickers - let us know what happens please

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Almost 3 days since pitched this Japaneese Lager with 2 packs of dubbya. Haven't used this yeast in a while so forget does it normally have a small krausen?

20 litres OG:1.044 the 2 packs pitched on 15 degrees brew fridge set to 13 that it reached not long after.

Good to leave or up the temp a degree or so?

20230126_154925.jpg

Dubbya is fine at 13°C.  If your Specific Gravity is above 1.020, leave it at 13°C.  Once the SG drops below 1.020, raise the temperature to 18°C until fermentation is complete.  Then cold crash for a few days

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Dubbya is fine at 13°C.  If your Specific Gravity is above 1.020, leave it at 13°C.  Once the SG drops below 1.020, raise the temperature to 18°C until fermentation is complete.  Then cold crash for a few days

Thanks mate from your experience does dubbya make less krausen?

I have just used mangrove jacks Bavarian and bohemian for so long. And diamond which I can't get now. They were all aggressive. 

I know a krausen is not it all, but I do enjoy it in a brew to know its kicking goals.

I realise hydrometer is the real test but guess I have grown accustomed to visual confidence before gravity readings beyond 4 or 5 days. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Thanks mate from your experience does dubbya make less krausen?

I have just used mangrove jacks Bavarian and bohemian for so long. And diamond which I can't get now. They were all aggressive. 

I know a krausen is not it all, but I do enjoy it in a brew to know its kicking goals.

I realise hydrometer is the real test but guess I have grown accustomed to visual confidence before gravity readings beyond 4 or 5 days. 

It has actually been more than 2 years since I have used Dubbya, so I do not remember how much Krausen it produced.  If I had to guess I would say average.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Almost 3 days since pitched this Japaneese Lager with 2 packs of dubbya. Haven't used this yeast in a while so forget does it normally have a small krausen?

20 litres OG:1.044 the 2 packs pitched on 15 degrees brew fridge set to 13 that it reached not long after.

Good to leave or up the temp a degree or so?

20230126_154925.jpg

Yeah, looks about right. I have a Helles in the fridge @13 with a similar krausen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It has actually been more than 2 years since I have used Dubbya, so I do not remember how much Krausen it produced.  If I had to guess I would say average.

Yeah probably well over a year for me too. I really hope this Diamond yeast isn't hard to get for too much longer.

Although I am now well stocked with 2 more packs of dubbya and a heap of MJ Lager yeast. I suppose they all make Lagers at the end.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yeah probably well over a year for me too. I really hope this Diamond yeast isn't hard to get for too much longer.

Although I am now well stocked with 2 more packs of dubbya and a heap of MJ Lager yeast. I suppose they all make Lagers at the end.

If you can pick the difference then you are more of a connoisseur than me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

IIRC MJ's M76 is Dubbya repackaged. I usually buy it because it is $2 cheaper per pack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bottled my Stout today, into 375ml Ginger Beer bottles all 60 of them.

Put in a Coopers Pale Ale, with 1k Light Dry Malt

300g Carapils steeped for 40 min

40g Amarillo hops boiled for 5 min

Will dry hop later in the week with either Galaxy or PoR

IMG_20230129_100527.thumb.jpg.7b91261e8b68064d6b4a70aca397ec55.jpg

• Like 6

Good effort @DavidMDavid, I know what bottling a brew into stubbies is like. Your brew sounds pretty tasty. I put down a Pale Ale brew on Thursday with Mosaic hops. I should get organised and get my stout brew on for winter. 

Edited by GregT5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GregT5 said:

Good effort @DavidMDavid, I know what bottling a brew into stubbies is like. I put down a Pale Ale brew on Thursday with Mosaic hops. I should get organised and get my stout brew on for winter. 

It didn't take long, wife helped by putting the sugar in for me.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 9:15 AM, Mickep said:

Looks great Toner, please let me know how this goes. Is it just my lying eyes or have you got an Ampol sign in ya backyard. 😂

Your eyes do not deceive you Mick, got an Ampol sign in the BY. I’ve had it wired in so we can light it up when the mood takes us. It’s got north balwyn painted on it, came from an old servo on Belmore rd hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 4