Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

had my mate over for a look at the brewing and the kegging side of things.

we did the regency park red ale ROTM (a bit under 2 hours), ran cleaner through both my beer lines and then did a kegland ipa FWK with nottingham yeast this time (4 minutes). good day had by all and i think the seed has now well and truly been planted.

24 hours later, i wasn't expecting the notty IPA to nearly blow the lid off but there you go.

IMG_0309.thumb.jpg.2ab2882e336d3e2ea0c213d25a01576c.jpg

(also the hair is thankfully not inside the fermenter.. phew)

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

That looks a bit too ugly for Nottingham.  What temp are you cooking this one at?

mid 20s, ambient melbourne. i'm not worried by it, it looks a typical krausen splat i've been getting from these FWKS, just much, much taller

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stickers said:

mid 20s, ambient melbourne. i'm not worried by it, it looks a typical krausen splat i've been getting from these FWKS, just much, much taller

Yep, I sorta guessed that ambient bit after I posted - all good if you are happy with it. - cheers.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stickers said:

Mid 20's would be the highest range for Nottingham and would explain the yeast having a bit of a party in your FV @Stickers. If it were me I would make sure that it doesn't get over 25° or it may start to throw some funky esters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

Mid 20's would be the highest range for Nottingham and would explain the yeast having a bit of a party in your FV @Stickers. If it were me I would make sure that it doesn't get over 25° or it may start to throw some funky esters.

the BOM is suggesting nothing higher than 23c for the next week here, i reckon being nottingham it'll be ready to keg around then.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stickers said:

had my mate over for a look at the brewing and the kegging side of things.

we did the regency park red ale ROTM (a bit under 2 hours), ran cleaner through both my beer lines and then did a kegland ipa FWK with nottingham yeast this time (4 minutes). good day had by all and i think the seed has now well and truly been planted.

24 hours later, i wasn't expecting the notty IPA to nearly blow the lid off but there you go.

IMG_0309.thumb.jpg.2ab2882e336d3e2ea0c213d25a01576c.jpg

(also the hair is thankfully not inside the fermenter.. phew)

Yeah, Notty does that. When it likes a beer, it goes to town 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I am wondering why brews change colour while in the fermenter? My Coopers Pale Ale extract brews usually start a mid/dark tan colour; then change to a much lighter peachy/tan colour. I guess it's all in the chemistry?

All part of the science @jennyss it is just a process until it hits the bottle & eventually your glass to produce the lovely golden colour we all enjoy.

https://craftbeerclub.com/blog/post/what-influences-beer-color

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

I am wondering why brews change colour while in the fermenter? My Coopers Pale Ale extract brews usually start a mid/dark tan colour; then change to a much lighter peachy/tan colour. I guess it's all in the chemistry?

Are you talking about fermentation as the beer will start clear with trub settling to the bottom then as the yeast kicks into gear it stirs all the trub up giving a pale/tan colour then as the yeast winds down all the remaining trub and yeast settle to the bottom and the beer starts to clear. I think of it like the ocean it goes all murky when there is a big swell from a storm it goes all murky! The yeast is the storm.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just put down a KegLand Wild Wood pacific ale yesterday. My previous brew was my first time trying dry hopping and this one has a hop tea as well as dry hop so I’m looking forward to seeing how it tastes. In regards to pacific ales @iBooz2recommended raising the temp from 18-22 over 6 days and dry hopping for 2 days during cold crash so I will be following that also rather than the exact recipe instructions.

I was thinking the same as @jennyss in regards to colour, seems to start quite dark brown for something that’s supposed to end up quite light. I put it down to the extracts themselves being quite dark out of the can and maybe the water used to heat/rinse them being too hot and causing a bit of caramelization? I tried to do it a bit cooler this time anyways just in case.

D155434C-FCCE-4F09-930B-74C5D3EB9D42.jpeg

• Like 4

@NBillett09 On Saturday I mixed a Coopers Aust. Pale Ale extract with BE2, LDM and hop 'teabags'. Yesterday I noted in my brew diary that the brew was a dark tan colour, much like yours posted above. Today on day 3 it is a very light tan colour. With daytime temps. in the mid 30's, and overnight not going below 20 deg, I have not been able to keep the brew below 22/24 deg, even with ice-bricks and a wet towel and fan. 

Colour of brew.jpg

• Like 5

@jennyss get a round tub or basket you would find in a cheap shop for hanging out clothes or storing things in. Half fill with water and freeze soft drink or old milk bottles filled with water. They are better than an ice brick in the pic. Put the frozen containers in the water and of course the fermenter too. The water cools down and helps cool the beer down. Rotate as necessary to keep the beer cool. 

• Like 5

It's the yeast multiplying and flying around in the wort that creates the lighter more cloudy colour, not so much it stirring up the trub. There's always a layer on the bottom through the whole process after all. 

Anyway, I've just pitched my red ale, just over 20 litres in there with the 1469 yeast. It'll be fermented at 18 degrees, once it warms up from whatever it's at currently. I chilled the cube overnight rather than pitch it at 30 degrees. Also chucked some polyclar in the pilsner so I'll get a keg ready for that on Thursday and keg it Sunday arvo while I smoke a piece of bacon. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

sounds like an awesome sunday 👍🏻😎

Yeah, first game with the social golf club for me this year so an early start, will have the whole arvo after that to do the bacon and well, filling a keg doesn't take long anyway 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 4

Got a two going at the moment. A Kviek Pale Ale with Falconers Flight hops and a Raspberry Seltzer for SWMBO. 

Another two planned to put down over the weekend.

Given I only brewed 5 last year - feel like I will smash that mark this year.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

This month's Coopers Craft Recipe of the Month - Hibiscus Kolsch

The Hibiscus Tea steep looked like beetroot juice.  I cannot wait to see this one in a glass.

I decided to take it up to 10 litres instead of the recipe's 8.5 litres.  It will dilute the IBU and EBC a bit and make it around 4.6% ABV instead of the intended 6.2%.

I wasn't going to do a beer this weekend.  However, weather was rubbish plus I had the ROTM in the cupboard with a couple of hours to spare, so why not.

Ingredients:

IMG_3596.JPG.9b84a9c9e112c23fbf47028f0defb2bf.JPG

Looks a bit like tomato juice in the fermenter:

IMG_3597.JPG.89177ec301db34573040ac56b3972965.JPG

• Like 9