Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Really? I was going to add extra malt but it's probably too late now, it was done at 10.30am this morning, I also have a box of Dextrose that I don't use but that may have kicked it up a bit.

I will have to see what happens.

Cheers.

I'd chuck the extra malt in personally Phil, but up to you mate.

• Like 1

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

500gm or 1kg? Just stir it in? I am kicking myself I didn't do it earlier, I always do, I must have had a senior moment.

Cheers Hoppy.

i'd put the kg in, i wouldn't stir it i'd just swirl the fermenter a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have a 1kg bag of Brigalow Extra Malt - Dextrose Monohydrate/Barley Malt/Maltodextrin/Corn Syrup. That should do the trick.

Yeah that will work, that should at least get you closer to OG 1.050

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

BLACK ROCK MINERS STOUT

I bought a couple of these for half-price recently just the inside BB date.  I used US-04 & 1tsp Yeast Nutrient & the SG is 1.041. All tucked away in the sneaky room behind the door in the laundry hallway, this will sit at ambient for 2 weeks & I will keg it, obviously I will get a few Longnecks as well for aging 🤭

I am hoping to try out the Stout Tap for this one.

20230105_095250.jpg

20230105_100449.jpg

20230105_103113.jpg

Update on the Stout from yesterday, this is 20 hours since I pitched the yeas t- US-04, a very healthy krausen so far, I am impressed with this yeast.

Also, the added Malt would have helped to spur it on, SG is now up to 1.050.

20230106_062118.jpg

20230106_062157.jpg

• Like 6

2nd Brew for the week a COOPER'S REAL ALE 

I am determined to get stocks up & get some more kegs in the fridge; I will have a look at an AG brew next week so I should be able to kick of the New Year with a decent supply & variety of beers. I have the temp controller dialed in at 18c for this one & you can see by only using minimal hot water to rinse the can & the rest out of the Pura Tap how the summer temperatures raise the water temp. I know I could have put some cold water in, but I am struggling for room in all fridges.

20230106_124142.jpg

20230106_124350.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Update on the Stout from yesterday, this is 20 hours since I pitched the yeas t- US-04, a very healthy krausen so far, I am impressed with this yeast.

Do you mean S-04?

US-05 is the red yeast packet.  It is an American style yeast.

51rAO4FwoGL._SL500_.jpg.bb155d334e7214496982f007a1db5506.jpg

S-04 is the blue packet.  It is an English style yeast.

33741.png.0b2f1150441d63dc843a904830b34745.png

My concern with S-04 is that it has stalled on me in the past.  I have not used it for a long time.  If I did, I might start it at 18°C.  But increase to 20°C once it drops to below 1.030 to make sure it keeps going.  Or just start it at 20°C and keep going.

If you can, keep that one a little bit warm.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

2nd Brew for the week a COOPER'S REAL ALE 

I am determined to get stocks up & get some more kegs in the fridge; I will have a look at an AG brew next week so I should be able to kick of the New Year with a decent supply & variety of beers. I have the temp controller dialed in at 18c for this one & you can see by only using minimal hot water to rinse the can & the rest out of the Pura Tap how the summer temperatures raise the water temp. I know I could have put some cold water in, but I am struggling for room in all fridges.

20230106_124142.jpg

20230106_124350.jpg

It is fine to start at 24°C.  Your fridge will get that back to 18°C within a day, easy.

Which yeast for this one?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

My concern with S-04 is that it has stalled on me in the past.  I have not used it for a long time.  If I did, I might start it at 18°C.  But increase to 20°C once it drops to below 1.030 to make sure it keeps going.  Or just start it at 20°C and keep going.

If you can, keep that one a little bit warm.

Yes it was S-04, it is brewing at ambient & is going along nicely.

• Like 3

Two different batches.

Top shelf 😂 A Coopers extract Hefe 1.7kg with Wheat malt tin @1.5kg, and 300grams dry light malt to bump the ABV up to Approx 4.8% Will ferment this with Munich. Not sure that I'll add any hops.

Bottom shelf A Coopers extract Coopers Pale ale 1.7kg with same as above additions.  Ferment this with Nottingham.  ABV approx 4.8% Probably do a hop addition of Galaxy....Dad loves it.

Volume 23 liters for both.

323370423_683859766773703_339622766711655632_n.jpg

• Like 9

Just put a mystery brew together(not planned)

A Canadian Blonde and BE2 mix with a galaxy hop bag… added to much water and the OG came up as about 1025🤪, so I had to quickly think on my feet… was gonna do a stout aswell so I dropped 1/3 can of stout mix into it and got the OG up to 1042😁…. Interesting mix hence the “Mystery Brew”

Also did a smaller batch of stout, 2/3 can of Coopers and a box of BE3, about 14ltrs got me to 1045… about right.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

What's in my fermenter? Nothing once again. We bottled my husband's Woolworths Draught this afternoon. It finished up with a FG of 1002 after starting at 1035, so I think it will have an AVG of 4.48%. Next brew will be a Coopers Pale Ale for me with BE2, LDM and Galaxy hops (tea bag style).

Empty fermenter (2).jpg

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, jennyss said:

What's in my fermenter? Nothing once again. We bottled my husband's Woolworths Draught this afternoon. It finished up with a FG of 1002 after starting at 1035, so I think it will have an AVG of 4.48%. Next brew will be a Coopers Pale Ale for me with BE2, LDM and Galaxy hops (tea bag style).

Well Jenny, the sooner you get the next brew going, the sooner it will be ready. 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Empty fermenter (2).jpg

1002, wow that is really low… I’ve never managed that, lucky to get below 1010

• Like 2

Another ‘Back to the Future’ brew day for me on Thursday. Batch #94.

Yeast was whole trub of previous Back to the Future brew (batch #93) i.e. a dirty batch in the Coopers FV.  After several day of cold crashing the previous batch of this beer I took a taste test and it surprised me how good it was.  I an mot really into dark beers but I think these two batches will give me something different in the kegs.  I am sure it will taste much better after a few weeks in the keg.

Krausen was much bigger this time due to the dirty batch on top of previous yeast cake.  Fermented at 17 C for 2 days and upping the temp by 1 c per day until 22 C. 

Back toThe Future brew 2  in FV - resized.png

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Just put a mystery brew together(not planned)

A Canadian Blonde and BE2 mix with a galaxy hop bag… added to much water and the OG came up as about 1025🤪, so I had to quickly think on my feet… was gonna do a stout aswell so I dropped 1/3 can of stout mix into it and got the OG up to 1042😁…. Interesting mix hence the “Mystery Brew”

Also did a smaller batch of stout, 2/3 can of Coopers and a box of BE3, about 14ltrs got me to 1045… about right.

Certainly thinking on your feet.  The Mystery Brew will be exactly that.  I think it will go well.  Might be a bit of a hoppy stout/porter with the Galaxy.  Please report back sir.

The Stout will be fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jennyss said:

Empty fermenter (2).jpg

Hey Jenny, I think your hydrometer might be out.  Not a huge issue because your ABV comes from the difference between OG and FG.  So the brew you just did will be around 4.5% ABV.  But probably not as "dry" as an FG of 1.002 might suggest.

• Like 2