Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

12 minutes ago, jennyss said:

My latest Coopers Aust. Pale Ale extract brew has been 7 days in the fermenter. When I mixed the brew I added BE2, Light Dry Malt, and 2 x 12g bags of Galaxy hops, steeped for 15 minutes. 

OG was 1043 and FG is now 1008, exactly the same as my last Pale Ale brew. I have just added my last Galaxy hop bag; steeped for 15 minutes. I'm going to bottle on Thursday; day 9.

I see online that Coopers have a free shipping offer until March 14th. I am going to run amok and buy hops, extract, and other extras.

You got a pic of the PA in the FV @jennyss, Jenny? 

• Like 1

@Mickep,  My Coopers Pale Ale brew no. 18 in the FV.  It is now a pale golden tan; after starting out a dark tan. 

Also, what do people think - Besides extracts etc, I want to order a few different varieties of hops from Coopers to get free shipping for orders over $80 lol. I'm thinking of Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo, and Cascade - all good?

Pale Ale brew no. 18.jpg

• Like 7

I called out to my mate's Country Brewer's franchise mainly to get some more Beef Jerky supplies & he announced that they had just released an IPA so I thought I would try it.

He also gave me a try out of the tap freshly kegged, he used Amarillaro & Citra but I thought good old Galaxy would do it.

I have had a few of CB products & they are pretty good.

20230308_161509.thumb.jpg.94608a26c4a3ca9bf567cc3912c02d25.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 7

On 3/8/2023 at 4:37 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I called out to my mate's Country Brewer's franchise mainly to get some more Beef Jerky supplies & he announced that they had just released an IPA so I thought I would try it.

He also gave me a try out of the tap freshly kegged, he used Amarillaro & Citra but I thought good old Galaxy would do it.

I have had a few of CB products & they are pretty good.

20230308_161509.thumb.jpg.94608a26c4a3ca9bf567cc3912c02d25.jpg

All grain taken a back seat fella?

25 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

All grain taken a back seat fella?

No, I am really going to get one going over the weekend, watch this space.

I am busting to try out the pro screen & have an easy brew day especially as it will be cubed - saving heaps of effort, clean-ups & get it in the keg ASAP.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am busting to try out the pro screen & have an easy brew day especially as it will be cubed - saving heaps of effort, clean-ups & get it in the keg ASAP.

Good to hear ol sausage. The pro screen makes it so much easier and enjoyable. Thats all I use, I dont use the top screen either, its a waste of space and serves no purpose.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Also cubing is a great way to not waste water if you dont have a counter flow chiller.  Immersion chillers are dinosaur stuff.

I'm upgrading to one of them as soon as possible.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Also cubing is a great way to not waste water if you dont have a counter flow chiller.  Immersion chillers are dinosaur stuff.

I'm upgrading to one of them as soon as possible.

Yeah, I used the supplied immersion chiller with the first brew & I was appalled at the waste of water, cubing for me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I used the supplied immersion chiller with the first brew & I was appalled at the waste of water, cubing for me.

You've probably watched a few of Gash's videos ( Homebrew Network ) hes not shy to cube if he has to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Counter flow chillers can be an effective way to chill wort down to pitching temps without using a lot of water, they work well especially in the winter months when the supply water is cooler.

However cubing is also a good way to go if you are not in a hurry to pitch yeast. I have to cube my brews anyway to get the wort from the brewery to the ferment fridge so cubing works for me. I can put the cube in the ferment fridge, which would be set to the pitching temperature and then pitch the following day. You should also adjust your hop schedule to allow for the time the wort will be at higher temperatures.

Also after a long day mashing, boiling and cleaning I couldn't be bothered getting the fermenter set up and filling it and pitching yeast!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Counter flow chillers can be an effective way to chill wort down to pitching temps without using a lot of water, they work well especially in the winter months when the supply water is cooler.

However cubing is also a good way to go if you are not in a hurry to pitch yeast. I have to cube my brews anyway to get the wort from the brewery to the ferment fridge so cubing works for me. I can put the cube in the ferment fridge, which would be set to the pitching temperature and then pitch the following day. You should also adjust your hop schedule to allow for the time the wort will be at higher temperatures.

Also after a long day mashing, boiling and cleaning I couldn't be bothered getting the fermenter set up and filling it and pitching yeast!

Can I ask fella how you adjust your hop additions for cubing? Theres nothing in Brewfather that allows for hopping with a cubed brew.

• Like 1

You can use the Whirlpool/No Chill Time within Brewfather to adjust the hop schedule for hot cubing.

"Whirlpool / No-Chill Time: When you set this there will be a set hopstand/whirlpool time on the recipe which will add extra IBU's for all hops in the recipe based on the aroma hop utilization/hopstand temperature. This can also be used to estimate extra IBUs for No-Chill brewing. Recommended starting point for No-Chill brewing is a whilrpool time of 30 minutes and 90+C hopstand temperature. These numbers need to be tweaked based on your setup and ambient temperature."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

You can use the Whirlpool/No Chill Time within Brewfather to adjust the hop schedule for hot cubing.

"Whirlpool / No-Chill Time: When you set this there will be a set hopstand/whirlpool time on the recipe which will add extra IBU's for all hops in the recipe based on the aroma hop utilization/hopstand temperature. This can also be used to estimate extra IBUs for No-Chill brewing. Recommended starting point for No-Chill brewing is a whilrpool time of 30 minutes and 90+C hopstand temperature. These numbers need to be tweaked based on your setup and ambient temperature."

Beautiful fella I'll look right into that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pale Man said:

You've probably watched a few of Gash's videos ( Homebrew Network ) hes not shy to cube if he has to.

Yes, I have & by not using the chiller, top plate, re-circ arm & using the pro-screen is a lot easier.

I have watched a few of his videos & he is easy to understand & he simplifies everything.

• Like 3

Saturday Brew day, IPA with added Malts, Carapils steep, I pitched at 25c but the photo shows the temp controller still on that but the fridge kicked in just after the photo to bring it down to 22c

I am going to use 60gms Galaxy on about the last 3 days as I found the hop flavour holds well once the keg is working.

20230311_122214.thumb.jpg.eb4cf5aefa0cf51185b53db663f727c9.jpg

• Like 9

On 3/9/2023 at 7:54 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

So how did it go?

• Like 1

Coopers Barley Crush (English barley wine) in the FV currently. Hopefully will be alright to start drinking some come winter. Only issue was I forgot to take OG reading *doh*! Supposed to end up around 9.9%. Nottingham and two can yeasts took off like a rocket!

A01276E6-31AC-4250-A185-01D2BA0B21BE.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

Coopers Barley Crush (English barley wine) in the FV currently. Hopefully will be alright to start drinking some come winter. Only issue was I forgot to take OG reading *doh*! Supposed to end up around 9.9%. Nottingham and two can yeasts took off like a rocket!

A01276E6-31AC-4250-A185-01D2BA0B21BE.jpeg

White text again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

Coopers Barley Crush (English barley wine) in the FV currently. Hopefully will be alright to start drinking some come winter. Only issue was I forgot to take OG reading *doh*! Supposed to end up around 9.9%. Nottingham and two can yeasts took off like a rocket!

Healthy looking krausen mate.

• Like 1