Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

Just transferred into a cleaned and sanitised keg my first brew

200g crystal malt steeped for 30 minutes 

Boiled for 30 minutes with 20g of Amarillo the last five minutes then 15g Amarillo dry hopped in a bag day 4

Opened at 40 closed at 12 day 11 and 14 kegged on day 14

In the kegerator at 12psi for 14 days

The sample tasted really nice

• Like 3

Put in two brews today

First off was a quick and easy

Preacher's Hefe Wheat can with a can of Wheat Malt and 300g Light Dry Malt.

Next was Voyage Amber Ale

Coopers Pale Ale can, 1.2k Light Dry Malt

100g Light Crystal Malt, 100g Roasted Barley Steeped for 30 min.

25g Cascade Hops boiled for 5 min.

Brew Can Yeast sitting in the fridge at 20 deg.

Cheers 🍻

• Like 6

Dry hopped the pale ale just now with random amounts of Amarillo, Citra and Cascade in a large tea strainer ball. All up it's probably about 60g. It'll be cold crashed tomorrow and kegged next Saturday along with the pilsner. 

This Saturday I have to go over to Hoppy days and pick up an order I put in this morning. I grabbed a sack of Voyager veloria ale malt since it was on special at $72, small amounts of acid and crystal malt and a 25kg bag of sodium percarbonate. 

I have the first Friday of the next 3 months off to play in the black markers challenge at my home course, so I'll be doing the next brew day on the following Sunday in June which will be another pilsner, and follow that up 2-3 weeks later with probably a red ale. After that brew I'll have to get another sack of pilsner malt, and hops I'd imagine. It's good to have things slowly getting back going properly again, will certainly help the finances!

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 6

003, Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale

IMG_20230517_165522349.thumb.jpg.3ca452687e0d46236c069dae1b4e0ed1.jpg

Nothing much to it, can + water + yeast. But 005 will be the Autumn Amber Ale, same recipe plus steeped oats and a dry Hop. Should provide a good basis for comparison.

IMG_20230517_213838942.thumb.jpg.2671fbe540b93f84b90c835c3651d754.jpg

Snug as a couple of bugs in rugs.

• Like 2

Just brewd the Abbey Blonde omitting the DME and hops in the boil, used Nottingham yeast at 20c will dry hop with 20g of Amarillo hops on day 4. OG was 1.042

After about 50 minutes activity started in the fermenter, does this seem a bit quick?

I sprinkled it in dry.

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Just brewd the Abbey Blonde omitting the DME and hops in the boil, used Nottingham yeast at 20c will dry hop with 20g of Amarillo hops on day 4. OG was 1.042

After about 50 minutes activity started in the fermenter, does this seem a bit quick?

I sprinkled it in dry.

That's a good sign, Nottingham is a great yeast.

On 5/17/2023 at 12:38 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Dry hopped the pale ale just now with random amounts of Amarillo, Citra and Cascade in a large tea strainer ball. All up it's probably about 60g. It'll be cold crashed tomorrow and kegged next Saturday along with the pilsner. 

This Saturday I have to go over to Hoppy days and pick up an order I put in this morning. I grabbed a sack of Voyager veloria ale malt since it was on special at $72, small amounts of acid and crystal malt and a 25kg bag of sodium percarbonate. 

I have the first Friday of the next 3 months off to play in the black markers challenge at my home course, so I'll be doing the next brew day on the following Sunday in June which will be another pilsner, and follow that up 2-3 weeks later with probably a red ale. After that brew I'll have to get another sack of pilsner malt, and hops I'd imagine. It's good to have things slowly getting back going properly again, will certainly help the finances!

Awesome organising!

On 3/11/2023 at 12:36 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Saturday Brew day, IPA with added Malts, Carapils steep, I pitched at 25c but the photo shows the temp controller still on that but the fridge kicked in just after the photo to bring it down to 22c

I am going to use 60gms Galaxy on about the last 3 days as I found the hop flavour holds well once the keg is working.

20230311_122214.thumb.jpg.eb4cf5aefa0cf51185b53db663f727c9.jpg

I notice you have a freezer section on your fridge does it affect the temperature controller or compressor at all?

The reason I ask is I have only been looking at full fridges as I read somewhere that you have to disconnect the freezer section to stop it kicking in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I notice you have a freezer section on your fridge does it affect the temperature controller or compressor at all?

The reason I ask is I have only been looking at full fridges as I read somewhere that you have to disconnect the freezer section to stop it kicking in.

Good question, I must admit the answer is, I don't know. In fact, I wouldn't even know how to do it, interesting thought though, maybe somebody would know.

I hadn't thought about it either so it would be good to know if you can disconnect the freezer, I also have a freezer on the bottom of my keg fridge.

The next S/H fridge I get will be definitely a fridge only model.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I don't have a fermenting fridge but I do have a lagering fridge. The temperature controller is external, an Inkbird with the probe inside the fridge. The freezer does kick in when the IB switches the fridge on.

It's not much of an issue apart from the extra power consumption. That fridge thinks it's a freezer anyway so overall it should be using less power than it was before. I'm using the freezer section to store yeast and hops. Even though it's cycling on and off it's staying below zero.

I've got my eyes on a mate's old fridge. It'll be perfect for fermenting in and bottling from.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I don't have a fermenting fridge but I do have a lagering fridge. The temperature controller is external, an Inkbird with the probe inside the fridge. The freezer does kick in when the IB switches the fridge on.

It's not much of an issue apart from the extra power consumption. That fridge thinks it's a freezer anyway so overall it should be using less power than it was before. I'm using the freezer section to store yeast and hops. Even though it's cycling on and off it's staying below zero.

I've got my eyes on a mate's old fridge. It'll be perfect for fermenting in and bottling from.

So the freezer section dies kick in with the external temp controller ? I read that the freezer section can be disconnected so it put less strain on the compressor and less power.

I will keep looking for a full fridge which will suit my needs better. Because there is no freezer not many people will want them so should be able to pick up a bargain.

• Like 2