Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

004, Cooper's Dark Ale.

IMG_20230528_160956000.thumb.jpg.03dd725d597f265cfb34174c9e715faf.jpg

OG 1.037 on the glass hydrometer, 1.038 on the plastic hydrometer at 17.8C on the hand held thermometer.

Ran into a little problem as I was measuring out the dark malt liquid extract. I'd read it as 750ml but the recipe actually said 750g (half). I realized the mistake when I checked the can and less than half remained.

I was able to recover and managed to put something reasonably close to 750g in the fermenter. I must say, though, getting an accurate measurement of goop from can to FV is a difficult task.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Kegory said:

OG 1.037 on the glass hydrometer, 1.038 on the plastic hydrometer at 17.8C on the hand held thermometer.

Ran into a little problem as I was measuring out the dark malt liquid extract. I'd read it as 750ml but the recipe actually said 750g (half). I realized the mistake when I checked the can and less than half remained.

I was able to recover and managed to put something reasonably close to 750g in the fermenter. I must say, though, getting an accurate measurement of goop from can to FV is a difficult task.

Which recipe uses half a can of Goop? 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Cooper's Dark Ale.

Thanks, made it a few times but always with the Whole can!

Might try it with half a can and make it twice to use up the other half of the can.

I need to read the recipe's better 🙄

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Thanks, made it a few times but always with the Whole can!

Might try it with half a can and make it twice to use up the other half of the can.

I need to read the recipe's better 🙄

I write the recipes into my brew book, then read them as I'm brewing. Luckily I wrote it up yesterday before going to the supermarket. Otherwise I would have had to go back to get sugar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

005 Autumn Amber Ale. OG 1.048 glass/1.038 plastic @ 15.2C.

IMG_20230607_193353764.thumb.jpg.99c6d84fa915e99eb043aba598834c4b.jpg

My first steep went relatively smoothly but I felt I needed to add some heat to maintain the temperature range.

@Stickers showed me how to do a rolling boil but 1.25 litres of wort behaves differently to larger quantities.

IMG_20230607_141136517.thumb.jpg.54d8834eb10f53f143509d9f9d664952.jpg

The ice bath was pretty effective, though, with such a small quantity to cool.

IMG_20230607_142347120.thumb.jpg.1175ead78aa9abab0ff6fc7253e1e2cb.jpg

• Like 7

On 5/27/2023 at 11:04 AM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Sometimes I play guitar next to my fermenters and believe that the yeast makes the airlock bubble in excitement 

About a decade ago there were some guys in the Adelaide Hills using egg-shaped fermentation vessels for their craft beer and wine ferments and they played music to the yeast while it was fermenting. Apparently classical music produced the best results. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

About a decade ago there were some guys in the Adelaide Hills using egg-shaped fermentation vessels for their craft beer and wine ferments and they played music to the yeast while it was fermenting. Apparently classical music produced the best results. 

Surely there must be some variations by styles, though.

I reckon Sleaford Mods would be best for an English Bitter 🤣

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

Brew no. 24 now in the FV.  A Woolworths Draught extract with 1 x 1kg pkt. BE2 and 500g dextrose.

OG is 1049! My husband is chasing an ABV reading of 5%.

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

Brew no. 24

Wow Jenny, how time flies, it doesn't seem that long ago that you joined us, you are well on the way to a seasoned brewer!

You have done well to achieve that many brews, one day when you get sick of bottling you may try BIAB or even AG or Kegging even.

It all sounds like a faraway possibility but believe me if you ever do you won't be sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

one day when you get sick of bottling you may try BIAB or even AG or Kegging even.

Baby steps for me! I am interested in the 'magic' of brewing - making alcohol! yeast! hops! fermentation! Taste! I like recording and noticing (and worrying!) about all the changes; and I don't even mind the routine cleaning and preparation. But I am not an equipment person, so I don't think I will go down the AG or kegging path.  However, I do like to read about others' AG and kegging doings.

But my next brew is going to be a ROTM: Old Town Lager. I have been waiting till the middle of winter for those 12 - 18 deg. temperatures. I will have to crush the malt and steep the malt and boil the juice with the Hallertau hops - oh my goodness!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Baby steps for me! I am interested in the 'magic' of brewing - making alcohol! yeast! hops! fermentation! Taste! I like recording and noticing (and worrying!) about all the changes; and I don't even mind the routine cleaning and preparation. 

I'm the same. It's fascinating, so many variables.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Baby steps for me! I am interested in the 'magic' of brewing - making alcohol! yeast! hops! fermentation! Taste! I like recording and noticing (and worrying!) about all the changes; and I don't even mind the routine cleaning and preparation. But I am not an equipment person, so I don't think I will go down the AG or kegging path.  However, I do like to read about others' AG and kegging doings.

But my next brew is going to be a ROTM: Old Town Lager. I have been waiting till the middle of winter for those 12 - 18 deg. temperatures. I will have to crush the malt and steep the malt and boil the juice with the Hallertau hops - oh my goodness!

I understand completely, it is a great sense of achievement to be able to brew a beer which is drinkable & even better when it is nice.

I have always been the same with routine, hygiene, cleanliness & stickler for perfection & all of that never bothered me.

I do feel grateful though that now IMO, now I can brew a beer that is more enjoyable than the one I get at the pub.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Well the stouts down OG 1050 see how we go 🤞

Notice I wasn't paying attention and topped it to 24 litres bugger it

20230608_161730.thumb.jpg.ca73bc401c46d78560087537b9bdb472.jpg

Well, it's not going to be Imperial but you'll have more of it. You could pass it off as a porter if it doesn't quite have the body.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Well, it's not going to be Imperial but you'll have more of it. You could pass it off as a porter if it doesn't quite have the body.

With the can and 2 kilo's of malt plus the chocolate malt I reckon I might just be lucky

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

With the can and 2 kilo's of malt plus the chocolate malt I reckon I might just be lucky

2kg sounds like a lot but the Sparkling Ale has 1.5kg LDM. Not knocking, just saying. It will be interesting to hear how it turns out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kegory said:

2kg sounds like a lot but the Sparkling Ale has 1.5kg LDM. Not knocking, just saying. It will be interesting to hear how it turns out.

I tasted the sample and it wasn't too bad with a nice bitter finish

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Apparently classical music produced the best results. 

Soapbox in the Valley (BNE) made a stout and they play pirate music to it. It got infected from a sour batch near by (it was sent away for lab analysis) and they almost tipped it, but they let it mature and it was AMAZING

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Soapbox in the Valley (BNE) made a stout and they play pirate music to it. It got infected from a sour batch near by (it was sent away for lab analysis) and they almost tipped it, but they let it mature and it was AMAZING

Pirate music? Like The Pirates of Penzance or illegally downloaded music?

Nothing in it atm, but brand new SS Fermenter.

‘Bought it from a supplier in an EOFY sale.

$330 reduced to $249, but when I bought it online it said another 20% off, happy days, so picked it up for $199.20.

The guy said oh we stuffed up adding the extra 20% discount on it, but I have to give it to you for that price because that’s what was on the website, so happy camper I was. 😜😜😜😜

IMG_3953.jpeg

• Like 7