Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

My ROTM Old Town Lager is now in the FV.  And what a to do! Cracked the 250g of Carahell grain in a mortar and pestle, which took about 30 minutes. Steeped the cracked grain in two big chux laid over the saucepan.  Heaps of grain husks removed. Next the Hallertau hops added in two stages, and the brew boiled for 30 minutes. Looked a baby poo greeny yellow by this stage! We strained the 'wort' through another two chux and into the FV.   Added the cans of Coopers European Lager extract and Light Malt Extract. Had lots of icy water waiting in the wings, and finally brought the brew up to 25 litres at 12 deg and pitched the yeast. OG is 1042.

If the brew does taste good and I wanted to repeat a partial mash, I think I would have to invest in a small hand mill or power mill.  Because the  process was new to me, I was 'worry worting' at every stage - are the grains cracked enough, OMG look at that colour, will we keep the temperature down etc.

Good one Jenny, looks impressive, there is a lot more work, but things will get easier as you go along.

It may be an idea to buy some muslin cloth, most LHBS stock it. All you do is cut it to the required length & tie both ends leaving enough room for expansion. They are re-usable too.

abn1-5043__1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jennyss said:

It's an old thermometer, actually designed for some use in dark room photography which my father was into. I did find it very useful for checking the steep and boil temperatures.

Nice. Better than my 5 buck digi from Kegland. I reckon it's probably a lot more accurate, too.

• Like 1

Well Done, you are on your way. 

For the Steep..

Personally, I use the paint strainer bags from Bunnings (or any other hardware store)

pack of three, I'm still on my first 9 months later.

very easy

But we are All different and we will all find our own way!

Good job on your first Steep

• Like 4

Today I bought a FWK from GRANARIUM BREWING SUPPLIES formely Beer Belly Brewing Equipment.

The shop has been fully renovated & looks good.

LEGBREAKER AMERICAN IPA 

“Resinous, floral hops with malt balance”

Legbreaker takes to the field as a determined all-rounder, striking a well-practiced balance between sweet, malt biscuit flavour and the bitter hoppy wallops of generous doses of American Columbus, Centennial and Citra. Stand by for lashings of grapefruit, floral, and resinous characters.

20230629_152456.thumb.jpg.ed66340ce12f7f8bff2d2f8337e18d03.jpg

I will use 100gms of Citra & brew with Nottingham. Tomorrow, I will put it together.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Today I bought a FWK from GRANARIUM BREWING SUPPLIES formely Beer Belly Brewing Equipment.

The shop has been fully renovated & looks good.

LEGBREAKER AMERICAN IPA 

“Resinous, floral hops with malt balance”

Legbreaker takes to the field as a determined all-rounder, striking a well-practiced balance between sweet, malt biscuit flavour and the bitter hoppy wallops of generous doses of American Columbus, Centennial and Citra. Stand by for lashings of grapefruit, floral, and resinous characters.

20230629_152456.thumb.jpg.ed66340ce12f7f8bff2d2f8337e18d03.jpg

I will use 100gms of Citra & brew with Nottingham. Tomorrow, I will put it together.

Looks good that one @Classic Brewing Co

44 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Looks good that one @Classic Brewing Co

Yeah, I reckon it will be great, it smells amazing & so easy to prepare. With the new punchout at the end of the side of the box, you just pull out the tap & pour into the FV, I had mine ne sitting on the bench & hardly had to lift it until it was empty, just chuck some water in the bag, swirl it around & whack in the FV, no waste. I will be brewing this at ambient as the brew fridge is reserved foranother AG Eclipse XPA.

I won't be mucking about with any Extract brews from now on, I will continue with AG but now again get one of these to boost stock & try different brews.

The funny thing is one of my LHBS sells it cheaper than ordering it online direct from ALL IN!

I made it up to 21l, SG was 1.052, used Notty & it's away.

I will dry hop with 50gms of Citra for the last 3-4 days.

20230630_112354.jpg

20230630_112436.jpg

20230630_114151.jpg

20230630_114538.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

What was the price for the fwk? Did you get it from Pooraka?

Yes,

20230630_132000.thumb.jpg.621baeddd3554ecddfa04ace4b925fdc.jpgReceipt attached, most of the interstate LHBS sell them for $55.00 & I would have to pay freight, he will still deliver an order for $6.50 up to $6.50, which is cheaper than me driving there.

It beats the sh## out of any extract brew.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes,

20230630_132000.thumb.jpg.621baeddd3554ecddfa04ace4b925fdc.jpgReceipt attached, most of the interstate LHBS sell them for $55.00 & I would have to pay freight, he will still deliver an order for $6.50 up to $6.50, which is cheaper than me driving there.

Haven’t seen Jon there for a while, is he still there or gone?

john

Wheat Amber

Golden Wheat can and Amber Liquid Malt

500g Light Dry Malt, 200g Maltodextrin

200g Carapils steeped for 40 min.

40g Pride of Ringwood boiled 10 min.

SafAle S-33 Yeast

Not my normal brew, picked up a can of Golden Wheat for $10, had a tub of liquid amber malt.

Inspired by Pezzza's post in What are you Drinking

Ran it through the IanH spreadsheet, ABV 5.8 in the bottle.

My first Non-Coopers brew in two years of brewing (I need to get out more!)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Went to my local Wollies last night and it seems that they might be pulling the Brigalow brand out as the ginger beer kit is down to $6.50. Massive discount

I have never made it before but have a friend who drinks the Bundaberg version like a fish. Asa  result I made  a batch today and basically for around $8.50 I will be gifting him 22 lts of GM.

Any body tried this before? is it a good drop?

Edited by Cult Of One
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

Went to my local Wollies last night and it seems that they might be pulling the Brigalow brand out as the ginger beer kit is down to $6.50. Massive discount

I have never made it before but have a friend who drinks the Bundaberg version like a fish. Asa  result I made  a batch today and basically for around $8.50 I will be gifting him 22 lts of GM.

Any body tried this before? is it a good drop?

I noticed this at my local behhemoth also - all brigalow products have been on sale for a few months now. $6.50 sounds like a bargain, I might give this a go. The only reason I haven't tried them before is because I haven't heard too many good reports about it.

• Like 2

My Old Town Lager ROTM has been in the FV for four days now. I have had no trouble keeping the brew at 14 deg in the laundry.  It has a cute little krausen - looks like a good flat white. 

I'm wondering if anybody has made this Old Town Lager earlier; and if you have any hints or warnings about how the fermenting went, and how it turned out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I noticed this at my local behhemoth also - all brigalow products have been on sale for a few months now. $6.50 sounds like a bargain, I might give this a go. The only reason I haven't tried them before is because I haven't heard too many good reports about it.

Don’t waste your money 💰 

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

My Old Town Lager ROTM has been in the FV for four days now. I have had no trouble keeping the brew at 14 deg in the laundry.  It has a cute little krausen - looks like a good flat white. 

I'm wondering if anybody has made this Old Town Lager earlier; and if you have any hints or warnings about how the fermenting went, and how it turned out. 

The crushed grain would contribute heavily for the nice krausen & white head, you will find the head retention pretty good too when you drink it. 

I haven't made it but similar.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 1:52 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

John has gone, it is under new management & trading name - Granarium Brewing Supplies but Wayne still owns it.

He also stocks Coopers products.

Thanks Phil, Jon was alright, during lockdown he would deliver to my front door on his way home

6 minutes ago, John304 said:

Thanks Phil, Jon was alright, during lockdown he would deliver to my front door on his way home

Cheers, I knew him to & he was alright, but there have been massive changes & renovations.

If you go to Granarium Brewing Supplies Face book page you will see some photos etc.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 1:26 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes,

That was meant to read 

he will still deliver an order for $6.50 up to 25kg 

Put one of these on this morning.

Kilo of LDME & 250 grams of dextrose.

This is one of my favourites, and it gets better with age. This one I'm brewing to drink at Christmas.

I've made 2 or 3 of these before and the problem I find with it is that its very slow to get going.

It comes with M44 US West Yeast. Directions say 18-23C. I've gone for 22C this time, just to see it goes a bit better.

@Classic Brewing Co I bought my first All In Brewing fresh wort a year ago. The reason I remember is that the price had gone up on July 1st. I paid $60 for the Kissaki, including yeast. I might make another soonish. I wonder what they'll be charging this year?
Although I remember talking to a bloke at a homebrew store I drive past sometimes when I'm working. I thought he said they were all priced differently.

@Red devil 44 I would love to know how this goes. My son doesn't like beer. At the moment his tipple is James Squire Ginger Beer.

I'd hate to make one and end up with something he doesn't like though.

MJ grapefruit.jpg

• Like 7