Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

On 7/8/2023 at 10:25 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I know they are tasty, but I keep these samples beside their respective FV.  They are mini-FV's.  I test their SG daily.  I find they mirror the main FV pretty well.  Certainly enough to know when final gravity is reached.  That way I am not wasting more beer on SG samples.  I always take a final gravity reading from the main FV when I keg/bottle

Interesting. Sample tubes are pretty cheap, I may have to invest in a few more.

• Like 1

Bird of Prey American Lager.

Melbourne has quite unhelpfully decided to turn out the warmest week since May right when I'm fermenting my first lager, grrrr.

IMG_20230710_185525681.thumb.jpg.529c984bd1fd01d5a9bf76de959598fe.jpg

I made a couple of tweaks to the recipe. I boiled with 2 litres of water instead of one. That was a success, I got a nicely rolling boil going. I also stirred the wort. I can't see how the OG could be accurate if the goop is just sitting on the bottom of the FV.

Oh, I also treated the water with PMS. I'm looking forward to assessing the result.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bump to the top above all the spam.

What's in my fermenter?????

The MJ Grapefruit IPA still. Despite bumping the temperature to 22C for this one it's still as slow as.

Down to 1.012, but a huge krausen of some kind on the surface.

Fired off an email to them in the week. Now progressed to their tech team.

I've had it cold crashing since Wednesday. I'm going to syphon off as much as I can and bottle it.

Unfortunately probably the last time I'll make this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

22 hours ago, Graculus said:

Bump to the top above all the spam.

And again... BUMP!  

Back to basics for me today.  A simple kit brew - RA can plus 1.5kg LME.  EKG hops boiled for 5mins and then a 25g Harlequin dry hop - so I guess on that basis I could consider this an English Bitter?  And... just for fun and a bit of nostalgia, I'm having a break from kveik yeast and fermenting this one with the kit yeast!  (Two packets).   I've been slowly accumulating packets and while I sometimes use them for nutrients, I thought it'd be fun to actually use the kit yeast for the actual purpose intended for a change!  From memory the kit yeast always produced perfectly acceptable beers; it was a medium attenuator and flocculator and with a cold-crash and fining usually cleared up nicely.  We'll see!  😎

• Like 7

Just now, Back Brewing said:

Is the name because you are using a Fujitsu fan?

Lol, no. It's a Ringgrip fan, almost 20 years old but fresh out of the box about a month ago.

Fuku is the name Kegland give to that FWK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Choc Stout - Posted it to the wrong "What's in your Fermenter" year. 🤪

36 hour steep? Is that because life got in the way or were you extracting more chocolatey flavour?

Or is that a normal cold steep time? I've only done one cold chocolate malt steep recipe and that was for 24 hours.

6 minutes ago, Kegory said:

36 hour steep? Is that because life got in the way or were you extracting more chocolatey flavour?

Or is that a normal cold steep time? I've only done one cold chocolate malt steep recipe and that was for 24 hours.

Yep, life got in the way.  I could not tell you if it made it more chocolatey.  However, it was sitting in my temperature controlled brew freezer at 1°C and the smell when I opened the lid was divine.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2023 at 1:54 PM, BlackSands said:

I thought it'd be fun to actually use the kit yeast for the actual purpose intended for a change!  From memory the kit yeast always produced perfectly acceptable beers...

Well, all done in less than three days!  I sure wasn't expecting that?!   Double-checked FG today (day 3) and it's still sitting at 1.010 - exactly where it was yesterday.   That's pretty much on par with the kveik voss I usually use.   Interesting.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Well, all done in less than three days!  I sure wasn't expecting that?!   Double-checked FG today (day 3) and it's still sitting at 1.010 - exactly where it was yesterday.   That's pretty much on par with the kveik voss I usually use.   Interesting.  

Very Nice, will you still cold crash and add fining or just wack it in the bottle?

I've been very happy with the Can Yeast.

(I know there is probably better, but this crap brewer is happy with it!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Very Nice, will you still cold crash and add fining or just wack it in the bottle?

I've been very happy with the Can Yeast.

(I know there is probably better, but this crap brewer is happy with it!)

Cold crashing as we speak.  Gelatine finings tomorrow...  and into bottles a few of days later. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Keep guessing 

Much relieved to find out my first impression was wrong. I haven't used an airlock yet but given this is the fermenter thread is it gas slowly bubbling out of a blow off tube in a container of liquid?

• Like 2