Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

Oops, 005 is still in the fermenter. I forgot to take a gravity reading yesterday.

IMG_20230617_151159382.thumb.jpg.9c8a0c1769f3345c7ab4b384e8511e47.jpg

We got off to a slightly later start on the golf course yesterday and then there was a slow group ahead of the group in front of us. Traffic was heavier than usual on Broadway and by the time I got home I barely had time to bring my clubs in, change my clothes, pack some beers and head out again (to my mate's place). I like to get on the Ring Road before 4.00 when the traffic really starts building up.

It's the Autumn Amber Ale, really exciting for me, a warm steep and some dry hops. I dry hopped on Tuesday, Day 7, a day later than the recipe recommends, but it's only 8.5L and I didn't want to waste beer taking too many samples. So, Day 7, should still be fermenting (low oxidisation risk), Day 10, first reading, should be done, Day 11, second reading and bottling, dry hopped for four days. Perfect.

Well, what to do? I'm pretty sure it's done but I haven't used this yeast before - no relevant data. The temperature has stopped climbing beyond the Inkbird setting, the yeast must have slowed right down. But I don't want to risk bottle bombs. Apparently I like washing bottles (the builders next day may well have gained that impression if they seen me doing just that in my laundry on many occasions) but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't enjoy cleaning a sticky mess off the carpet.

I could fish the hop package out of the fermenter but it sunk to the bottom. Not only woould I probably disturb the trub but I reckon the risk of oxidization would be pretty high. There's only 25g of hops but there's only 8.5L of beer. That's nearly 3g per litre.

And if I leave the hops in? It's probably gonna taste grassy. A conundrum.

Eventually I concluded that a bit of grassiness is probably the least worse of the potentially worst outcomes. I'll take another sample tomorrow morning and then bottle. I'll taste both samples and see if I can detect any differences. 4.75 days of dry hopping probably won't end up being the worst thing I do to an innocent beer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Oops, 005 is still in the fermenter. I forgot to take a gravity reading yesterday.

We got off to a slightly later start on the golf course yesterday and then there was a slow group ahead of the group in front of us. Traffic was heavier than usual on Broadway and by the time I got home I barely had time to bring my clubs in, change my clothes, pack some beers and head out again (to my mate's place). I like to get on the Ring Road before 4.00 when the traffic really starts building up.

It's the Autumn Amber Ale, really exciting for me, a warm steep and some dry hops. I dry hopped on Tuesday, Day 7, a day later than the recipe recommends, but it's only 8.5L and I didn't want to waste beer taking too many samples. So, Day 7, should still be fermenting (low oxidisation risk), Day 10, first reading, should be done, Day 11, second reading and bottling, dry hopped for four days. Perfect.

Well, what to do? I'm pretty sure it's done but I haven't used this yeast before - no relevant data. The temperature has stopped climbing beyond the Inkbird setting, the yeast must have slowed right down. But I don't want to risk bottle bombs. Apparently I like washing bottles (the builders next day may well have gained that impression if they seen me doing just that in my laundry on many occasions) but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't enjoy cleaning a sticky mess off the carpet.

I could fish the hop package out of the fermenter but it sunk to the bottom. Not only woould I probably disturb the trub but I reckon the risk of oxidization would be pretty high. There's only 25g of hops but there's only 8.5L of beer. That's nearly 3g per litre.

Eventually I concluded that a bit of grassiness is probably the least worse of the potentially worst outcomes. I'll take another sample tomorrow morning and then bottle. I'll taste both samples and see if I can detect any differences. 4.75 days of dry hopping probably won't end up being the worst thing I do to an innocent beer.

Did the Amber Ale a while ago. Fermented for 11 days, dry hopped the last three days. OG 1044, FG 1010. Nearly 2 month old now and a nice tasting beer. Give it 3/4 weeks in the bottle before trying it. The wait is worth the while. Still have four stubbies left IMG_7015.thumb.jpeg.4f2f4bb48399a0f965c51917a0a81e34.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Mate it all sounds fine as long as the FG is around 1012-1.010 as has been consistent for 2 days it is good to go.

I wouldn't worry about the grassiness as that's not really that long. You are right not to disturb the trub.

• Thanks 1

Well the SS Fermenter is off on its maiden voyage.

‘FWK, Sabro Hopped Extra Pale Ale.

No leaks, seals great around lid, see how she turns out in 14 days. 
Digital Temp is showing exactly the same as the Inkbird, the Stainless is a pleasure to work with just quietly 

Only downside was the heat belt won’t quite tension up around it as its diameter is smaller than the other plastic fermenters.

‘I do have an electric blanket if need be. 
Overall, good piece of gear. 

IMG_3954.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate it all sounds fine as long as the FG is around 1012-1.010 as has been consistent for 2 days it is good to go.

I wouldn't worry about the grassiness as that's not really that long. You are right not to disturb the trub.

Cheers. I'm sure it's done but I can't be certain until I get that second reading. It will be what it will be, grassy or not, I'll err on the side of caution.

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Digital Temp is showing exactly the same as the Inkbird, the Stainless is a pleasure to work with just quietly 

Only downside was the heat belt won’t quite tension up around it as its diameter is smaller than the other plastic fermenters.

IMG_3954.jpeg

I used a peg to tension the heat belt on my little fermenter.

4 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

I do not attach my heat belt to my fermenters.  They are all plastic or PET.  Rather it sits in the fermenting fridge and just heats the ambient temperature.  You could just sit it on top of your SS (avoiding the plastic airlock).  It should still do the trick, especially once the temperature in the fermenting fridge stabilises.

BTW, the SS sounds great.

• Like 3

Trying to sneak in a quick goopy Australian Old I tried to find some Morgan's cans of Old here in Sydney, not easy. Finding some after a 45 minutes road trip they were all out of date. So I went for their Jumbo tin (3kg) of house brand (produced here in Sydney). Never used their products before I just followed the can instructions, Goop, water and the supplied Nottingham Ale yeast. OG 1042, pitched at 19C. Let's see how the first sample will taste, maybe a little dry hop with some leftover hops ( Hallertau? Zappa?)

IMG_7023.JPG

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Trying to sneak in a quick goopy Australian Old I tried to find some Morgan's cans of Old here in Sydney, not easy. Finding some after a 45 minutes road trip they were all out of date. So I went for their Jumbo tin (3kg) of house brand (produced here in Sydney). Never used their products before I just followed the can instructions, Goop, water and the supplied Nottingham Ale yeast. OG 1042, pitched at 19C. Let's see how the first sample will taste, maybe a little dry hop with some leftover hops ( Hallertau? Zappa?)

IMG_7023.JPG

Nice, always wanted to try the ESB, but hard to find in Brissy, plenty of Morgans though 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

IMG_3954.jpeg

You won't regret the purchase mate, mine has been going constantly without any downtime since April last year and is still as good as the day I bought it. Can't remember how much I paid, might have been $299, so you got a bargain!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

IMG_3954.jpeg

Congrats I recently purchased one of these it is really well built and as you said the lid seals really well! I purchased mine off marketplace for Flanders reds little bit cheaper than yours but mine has no thermometer. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I do not attach my heat belt to my fermenters.  They are all plastic or PET.  Rather it sits in the fermenting fridge and just heats the ambient temperature.  You could just sit it on top of your SS (avoiding the plastic airlock).  It should still do the trick, especially once the temperature in the fermenting fridge stabilises.

BTW, the SS sounds great.

+1 to shamus I have a heat pad which I normally sit next to the coopers fermenter (heating ambient temp) but with my ss fermenter I didn’t have enough room at the bottom of the fridge so I sat it on the lid away from the airlock and it worked well!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

IMG_7023.JPG

Big enough to be a paint can.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

RD do you find that method maintains your target temperature?

Should do. I never attach my heat belts directly to the fermenter as I reckon it will create a hot spot in the FV. If you heat the air in the fridge to the desired temp the FV will conform to that temperature.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

Should do. I never attach my heat belts directly to the fermenter as I reckon it will create a hot spot in the FV. If you heat the air in the fridge to the desired temp the FV will conform to that temperature.

Yes, I know the theory behind it, I have never tried it, but I have never had a problem the traditional way.

• Like 1

The only time I have used the heat belt was in the height of a Brisbane summer, temperature about 33º. I know, sounds weird, but I was using kveik voss yeast. I wanted the temperature to reach 37º, but it made it to 36º only.  I originally bought the belt for winter! The kveik brews turned out great btw. The beer is all gone now, but I will go for the kveik again in January-February probably. Right now it is lager season for me, ambient temps are around 9-20º, so skipping ales until springtime.

• Like 2