Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

56 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Happy belated Birthday @Pints , I just caught up with this thread, so hope it was a good one bloke. 🕺🎂 - Cheers🍻

Cheers mate thanks a lot. Drank many pints and took a few days to feel normal again😅🍻😂

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Pints said:

Cheers mate thanks a lot. Drank many pints and took a few days to feel normal again😅🍻😂

Feel normal again? At your age I could p*ss over a 10 foot wall 🤣

Hope it was a good one mate!

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Haha 2

On 5/10/2023 at 7:38 PM, DavidM said:

After a few Pales, it was time to try a Dark

My version of Coopers SMOTY Ale

Tried one about a month ago, but it needed more time, it's better, will leave it longer.

Very smooth to drink, I think this will be good by winter.

IMG_20230509_200453.thumb.jpg.ba5d7667ecbdd746e72bd165b71b2a51.jpg

I do love a dark beer (Melbourne winter and a porter are best mates and that one looks beaut!.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Home-crafted bread and "liquid bread" - a perfect high-carb combo!   "Liquid Bread" - Draught kit + LME and Wakatu hops...🤪

IMG_20230512_164426.jpg

Awesome shot BS. If you’re still running, I reckon about 10k will sort that out 🤪

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Awesome shot BS. If you’re still running, I reckon about 10k will sort that out 🤪

Ordinarily, that would indeed be true... however, I woke up a week ago with a toe injury. In the middle of the night, painful and swollen.  I'm guessing one of those delayed onset things from a run earlier in the day.  So... I've subsequently been hobbling round like a cripple ever since!   🧑‍🦯

• Sad 4

36 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Ordinarily, that would indeed be true... however, I woke up a week ago with a toe injury. In the middle of the night, painful and swollen.  I'm guessing one of those delayed onset things from a run earlier in the day.  So... I've subsequently been hobbling round like a cripple ever since!   🧑‍🦯

Time to rehydrate then🤣

• Haha 1

I had been on the point of chucking this AG Timothy Taylor Landlord clone, it tasted really metallic.

I left it a while and it has come around. At least last night it seemed to be, better have an earlier one tonight to be sure 😳

IMG_8768.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Finally, the ultimate comparison of Bitsa Pale Ale and Bitsa Lager. The lager has been in the keg for 6 weeks, the ale for 2. Both were brewed with the same grain bill, the same hops and hop schedule. The ale was fermented using Verdant @18C, the lager with W34/70 @13C. 

Both have the same colour and share the same texture and density of the froth. Even the head retention is the same. But that is where the similarities end. 

Despite all this, these two are very different beers. The ale has some fruity aroma, the lager is more malty. The ale appears a little smoother with the esters from the Verdant yeast seemingly balancing the bitterness of the hops a bit. It even seems there is a little more sweetness in the ale, probably because its SG was 2 points higher than the lager's. The lager is straight to the point. It's a little dryer, cleaner and has more apparent bitterness. 

Which one do I like better? I don't know. They're both pretty good beers and I guess it may depend on the mood I'm in. I think they will both feature frequently in the Aussiekraut house.

The point of the exercise was to show the impact yeast has on a beer. It is very interesting to see two so closely related beers tasting so very different. If I have enough left, I will compare them again in about 2 weeks, when the ale had some more time to mature. 

BTW, left is the ale, right is the lager.

image.thumb.jpeg.4286eafd01c8e438f2dbe8dcf8fb53b3.jpeg

IMG_8475.thumb.JPG.54b81b87bf9847f9c98c1aed975f6a83.JPG

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 15

6 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Finally, the ultimate comparison of Bitsa Pale Ale and Bitsa Lager. The lager has been in the keg for 6 weeks, the ale for 2. Both were brewed with the same grain bill, the same hops and hop schedule. The ale was fermented using Verdant @18C, the lager with W34/70 @13C. 

Both have the same colour and share the same texture and density of the froth. Even the head retention is the same. But that is where the similarities end. 

Despite all this, these two are very different beers. The ale has some fruity aroma, the lager is more malty. The ale appears a little smoother with the esters from the Verdant yeast seemingly balancing the bitterness of the hops a bit. It even seems there is a little more sweetness in the ale, probably because its SG was 2 points higher than the lager's. The lager is straight to the point. It's a little dryer, cleaner and has more apparent bitterness. 

Which one do I like better? I don't know. They're both pretty good beers and I guess it may depend on the mood I'm in. I think they will both feature frequently in the Aussiekraut house.

The point of the exercise was to show the impact yeast has on a beer. It is very interesting to see two so closely related beers tasting so very different. If I have enough left, I will compare them again in about 2 weeks, when the ale had some more time to mature. 

BTW, left is the ale, right is the lager.

image.thumb.jpeg.4286eafd01c8e438f2dbe8dcf8fb53b3.jpeg

IMG_8475.thumb.JPG.54b81b87bf9847f9c98c1aed975f6a83.JPG

Thanks for your review, it's great to see some practical experimentation, and I can definitely use your experiment to infer the outcome of my brews. Both brews look the same, same ingredients, methods etc., but different yeasts.. incredibly interesting mate. Cheers! 👍🏻

• Like 3

IPL with Citra/Amarillo late pretty good didn’t bother with dry hop or gelatine was a bit lazy. Aroma is there not over powering if I made it again I would add another 10ibus with the initial 60minute hop addition. Very easy to drink! Be interested to see what it’s like in a couple more weeks!

IMG_1388.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 11