Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

On 5/14/2023 at 9:05 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Galaxeclipse Pale Ale. Inspired by the Coopers recipe Eclipse Australian Pale Ale.  @NBillett09, you wanted my comments on this one.  Turns out yours sounded much better.

Mine is very average because I used old Galaxy hops.  Just a bad raw vegetable aroma and flavour.  Not worth tipping, but I would not give it to somebody as an example of good homebrew.  I have had this from old Galaxy hops before.  Maybe they are especially susceptible to spoiling with age.

Beery aroma and flavour with the something not quite right.  Raw vegetable? Not sour or off, just not great.

4/10

IMG_3725.JPG.d2ef63b4455439e846a990e2523db548.JPG

Sorry to hear of your veggie patch experience Shamus! That’s very unfortunate, but I’d recommend giving it another crack with all fresh ingredients. An extra week or two has certainly helped mine improve flavour wise. I’d only change two things when I do it again, 1) I’d pay closer attention to my hop steeping and keep the temp constant rather than boil it accidentally and 2) I’d add a bit of grain steep/mash like a Carapils or something (I’m no expert on these things) just to help the body/mouthfeel a bit. It had golden naked oats but just needed a little something extra to help.

In fact I’ll add another change, I’d probably go a little less on the Galaxy dry hop, maybe 30-35g galaxy and 50g eclipse. Might help strengthen the pine/mandarin flavours to be a bit more evenly balanced. I’ll put up another photo of the brew this weekend to see if it’s visually changed at all.

Also your Bents Poke sounds amazing 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Promise not to spill it!   Though I have done so in the past...  subsequently had to buy a new keyboard - beer and electronics don't mix so well! 

IMG_20230516_161513.jpg

Yeah, I think are all guilty of that, I have done it, I managed to save the keyboard though by turning it upside down for a few days.it eventually started to work properly.

I am more careful these days I place the beer on a bar mat away from the computer.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

Sorry to hear of your veggie patch experience Shamus! That’s very unfortunate, but I’d recommend giving it another crack with all fresh ingredients. An extra week or two has certainly helped mine improve flavour wise. I’d only change two things when I do it again, 1) I’d pay closer attention to my hop steeping and keep the temp constant rather than boil it accidentally and 2) I’d add a bit of grain steep/mash like a Carapils or something (I’m no expert on these things) just to help the body/mouthfeel a bit. It had golden naked oats but just needed a little something extra to help.

In fact I’ll add another change, I’d probably go a little less on the Galaxy dry hop, maybe 30-35g galaxy and 50g eclipse. Might help strengthen the pine/mandarin flavours to be a bit more evenly balanced. I’ll put up another photo of the brew this weekend to see if it’s visually changed at all.

Also your Bents Poke sounds amazing 

I have still got a keg and a bit left, so it has a chance to get better.  I can sometimes get a partly hidden whiff of tropical fruit from the Eclipse dry hop, so doing this brew again is a possibility.  Agree - Fresh is best.

The Bents Poke is a great example of a brew done well.  Thanks

• Like 4

Yesterday  5pm beer time brought taste bud confusion. I was still tasting and bottling a 4 jar batch of feijoa jam, while opening my bottle of Brew A IPA, followed later by a can of James Squire Hop Thief Pale Ale. The feijoas, and the jam, have a 'sweet aromatic flavour', combining the best of 'strawberry, guava and pineapple'' (Wikipedia). The aroma and taste seemed to linger on my taste buds, and flavour my beer.  It was confusing but yummy! 

Taste bud confusion.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

Yesterday  5pm beer time brought taste bud confusion. I was still tasting and bottling a 4 jar batch of feijoa jam, while opening my bottle of Brew A IPA, followed later by a can of James Squire Hop Thief Pale Ale. The feijoas, and the jam, have a 'sweet aromatic flavour', combining the best of 'strawberry, guava and pineapple'' (Wikipedia). The aroma and taste seemed to linger on my taste buds, and flavour my beer.  It was confusing but yummy! 

What did you think of the IPA Jenny? How did it turn out?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

What did you think of the IPA Jenny? How did it turn out?

Definitely worth trying. Quite dark, spicy, no citrusy flavour, and quite strong and thick in mouth feel. I had mixed this with 1.5kg of LDM as per recipe on the tin of extract.

But I plan to go back to a pale ale for my next brew. I'll include BE2 and 1 box LDM.  Also 50g hops; a 25g Amarillo steep when mixing, and a 25g Citra steep two days before bottling. This is more hops than I've used before! I think the yeast that comes with the extract should do the trick.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Definitely worth trying. Quite dark, spicy, no citrusy flavour, and quite strong and thick in mouth feel. I had mixed this with 1.5kg of LDM as per recipe on the tin of extract.

But I plan to go back to a pale ale for my next brew. I'll include BE2 and 1 box LDM.  Also 50g hops; a 25g Amarillo steep when mixing, and a 25g Citra steep two days before bottling. This is more hops than I've used before! I think the yeast that comes with the extract should do the trick.

Great, sounds like you are getting on top of it now Jenny, keep up the good work, IPA's & XPA's aren't for everyone but it is important to try different brews to broaden your experiences, I also have a passion for Pale Ales & American Pale Ales.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Modus Operandi Russian Imperial Stout

One day short of 400 days in the bottle.  This is an amazing brew.

• Chocolate, cherry and roast aromas
  • Smooth as flavour - Chocolate, malt, roasty, cherry (like Black Forest Cake)
  • Warming alcohol
  • Robust bitterness

I have 2 bottles left.

IMG_3729.JPG.3661e8604a3378d963ef5f1388b84afb.JPG

Well done on such a long age. Whats the abv? And do you think its past its peak or no? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pints said:

Well done on such a long age. Whats the abv? And do you think its past its peak or no? 

Thanks.  I have the bottles in the back of a cupboard where they are a little hard to get out.  It stops me from just grabbing one.

The brew is only 8.3%.  So not really in Russian Imperial Stout territory.  But by flavour and longevity it is.

Definitely not past its peak.  I am not sure when the peak might be either.  I made a Coopers Russian Imperial Stout years ago and it was great around 6-8 months.  However, by 12 months the last few bottles were a little bit harsh tasting.  The Modus Operandi RIS clone is nothing like that at this stage.  What stood out is the smoothness.  Lots of glorious flavours too, but just so easy to drink.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

• Warming alcohol
  • Robust bitterness

I have 2 bottles left.

Nice head on that. Better than in the earlier picture. Is that just a timing thing between pouring and photographing or has the head improved with age?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kegory said:

Nice head on that. Better than in the earlier picture. Is that just a timing thing between pouring and photographing or has the head improved with age?

Thanks Kegory.  Foam has definitely improved with age.  I lightly bottle carbonated this brew on purpose.  The head was even darker when it was freshly poured.  By the time I took the photo (only a few moments), it had formed a nice density and hung around for the duration.

• Like 6

On 5/18/2023 at 10:03 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

• Warming alcohol
  • Robust bitterness

I have 2 bottles left.

Yummm. Two bottles left? I'll pay for postage, send me one please.

• Haha 6

After bottling my Ginger Beer, which by the way smells and tastes so delicious, and pitching my Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout it was time for some relaxing drinks.

Firstly my before mentioned COPA, two weeks in the bottle. For not being cold crushed it is so clear. Still a bit green, missing the originals fruity notes, bit more on the bitter side, but nice mouthfeel and head. and ABV 5.3%. Looking forward to try it in a week or two again.

IMG_6834.thumb.JPG.9da325ae9128087e7c9823e530a38a52.JPG

The Autumn Amber Ale was perfect on todays windy and chilly Autumn day. Bottled 41/2 weeks ago it is close to its peak. And look at the beautiful colour.

IMG_6837.thumb.JPG.158920de1f15c23f253274485baf1635.JPGIMG_6838.thumb.JPG.8bfb0977e3cf1661d9d5ef282c480d87.JPG

The Cali Coast IPA is soo good. Hoppy , peachy and fruity but not too bitter, full bodied and at its peak. 

IMG_6840.thumb.JPEG.b28366e0654042b325e577236b32efad.JPEG

• Like 10