Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

14 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

After bottling my Ginger Beer, which by the way smells and tastes so delicious, and pitching my Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout it was time for some relaxing drinks.

Firstly my before mentioned COPA, two weeks in the bottle. For not being cold crushed it is so clear. Still a bit green, missing the originals fruity notes, bit more on the bitter side, but nice mouthfeel and head. and ABV 5.3%. Looking forward to try it in a week or two again.

Good one mate, nice selection of beers, all the best with your first AG brew, the first time I had to add water I thought for the worst, but it was absolutely fine.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good one mate, nice selection of beers, all the best with your first AG brew, the first time I had to add water I thought for the worst, but it was absolutely fine.

Thanks Phil, I had to stock up after my long Holiday and brewing break. Manly ROTM. Problem is that the craft recipes are to small, about 8.5l. By the time the beer is reaching its peak ,they are gone, ha ha. Only have two bottles of the lost city Brown Ale left, hid them in the back of the dungeon. I always like to have a variety on hand. My AG brewing was so much fun. I see now why lot's of people brew in front of their garage, my house was still smelling deliciously sweeet on Sunday. There are still a few things I still don't understand about Brewfather, but I will get my head around it. Didn't add more water as I thought it just will be more concentrated,🤣 I really don't care about styles, looks etc. as long as it tastes nice, everything else is a bonus 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Thanks Phil, I had to stock up after my long Holiday and brewing break. Manly ROTM. Problem is that the craft recipes are to small, about 8.5l. By the time the beer is reaching its peak ,they are gone, ha ha. Only have two bottles of the lost city Brown Ale left, hid them in the back of the dungeon. I always like to have a variety on hand. My AG brewing was so much fun. I see now why lot's of people brew in front of their garage, my house was still smelling deliciously sweeet on Sunday. There are still a few things I still don't understand about Brewfather, but I will get my head around it. Didn't add more water as I thought it just will be more concentrated,🤣 I really don't care about styles, looks etc. as long as it tastes nice, everything else is a bonus 

Yeah, I understand, I struggle with Brewfather, it seems you either get it or you don't, stupid really as I have been on computers all of my life with graphics, layouts, advanced photography editing etc. but I think first you have to understand the input method to calculate the intended figures, I always end up with too much water or not enough.

I am with you, for the stress, work, cleanup it takes, all I care about is the finished result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Don't worry, you'll figure it out. In the beginning, it is always a little confusing. I don't use BF but it took me a while to figure BeerSmith out. I'm still not sure half the time but I have my process sussed out and I don't worry too much about what BS says. I don't use it's water suggestions and amounts. I know if I mash 5kg grain in 25l of water and then sparge 8l, I end up with 30l pre-boil. Post boil it's 26, so I end up with about 21-22 in the cube. The rest is lost below the tap. If I boil for longer, I adjust for the extra boil off, if I use more or less grain, I adjust the sparge water accordingly. BS says to mash with 33l of water. if I fill the kettle to 33l and then put the grain in, I have a mess on my hands 🙂 I tried that once and no more 🙂 My method works great, so why change it? So the main thing is to figure out your system and work with that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2023 at 6:41 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

After bottling my Ginger Beer, which by the way smells and tastes so delicious, and pitching my Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout it was time for some relaxing drinks.

Firstly my before mentioned COPA, two weeks in the bottle. For not being cold crushed it is so clear. Still a bit green, missing the originals fruity notes, bit more on the bitter side, but nice mouthfeel and head. and ABV 5.3%. Looking forward to try it in a week or two again.

IMG_6834.thumb.JPG.9da325ae9128087e7c9823e530a38a52.JPG

The Autumn Amber Ale was perfect on todays windy and chilly Autumn day. Bottled 41/2 weeks ago it is close to its peak. And look at the beautiful colour.

IMG_6837.thumb.JPG.158920de1f15c23f253274485baf1635.JPGIMG_6838.thumb.JPG.8bfb0977e3cf1661d9d5ef282c480d87.JPG

The Cali Coast IPA is soo good. Hoppy , peachy and fruity but not too bitter, full bodied and at its peak. 

IMG_6840.thumb.JPEG.b28366e0654042b325e577236b32efad.JPEG

The Autumn Ale looks great (as do the others). I'm making that one soon, I hope it turns out like that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pints said:

A mangrove jack APA pouch, 1kg spray malt, and small grain steep. Us 05 to 22l

3 weeks in bottle. Nice flavour developing, cheers

Great looking Brew

Hope there are a few left at Five weeks.. might be even Better!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Don't worry, you'll figure it out. In the beginning, it is always a little confusing. I don't use BF but it took me a while to figure BeerSmith out. I'm still not sure half the time but I have my process sussed out and I don't worry too much about what BS says. I don't use it's water suggestions and amounts. I know if I mash 5kg grain in 25l of water and then sparge 8l, I end up with 30l pre-boil. Post boil it's 26, so I end up with about 21-22 in the cube. The rest is lost below the tap. If I boil for longer, I adjust for the extra boil off, if I use more or less grain, I adjust the sparge water accordingly. BS says to mash with 33l of water. if I fill the kettle to 33l and then put the grain in, I have a mess on my hands 🙂 I tried that once and no more 🙂 My method works great, so why change it? So the main thing is to figure out your system and work with that. 

Ha,ha as more I read about it, as more confusing it gets, especially reading American sites talking gallons, lbs and other foreign language

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Ha,ha as more I read about it, as more confusing it gets, especially reading American sites talking gallons, lbs and other foreign language

Yeah, those seppo units are a pain in the neck. At least I hope Brewfather does convert imperial units into metric, does it? But of course, it doesn't apply to forums. It does have the right equipment profile for your system?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, those seppo units are a pain in the neck. At least I hope Brewfather does convert imperial units into metric, does it? But of course, it doesn't apply to forums. It does have the right equipment profile for your system?

yes, apparently it does. Look, I will get myself tomorrow an AG kit for a Marzen from my LHBS and will take it from there. Also found this Kiwi site with lot's of interesting recipes, lot's of Bavarian ones. No idea if they are any good, but in the future I will try some  https://www.wildabouthops.nz/lager-pilsner-recipes2.html#AYINGER-MAIBOCK

• Like 4

I made beer.

On the left my Coopers Pale Ale, 001, bottled 6/5/23. On the right Cooper's Brewery Pale Ale, Best After 25/3/2021. So, aged 2 days (post conditioning) vs aged 2 years 2 months.

IMG_20230524_183630725.thumb.jpg.11e4a9ea02f7962e69baf149d7497805.jpg

Mine is a little bit deeper gold and produced a better head. Carbonation is near enough to equal.

I've come down with a post GABS lurgie and the olfactory sense is struggling but 001 has smelled quite similar to Coopers Pale Ale throughout the process.

001 has more lacing.

IMG_20230524_184834297.thumb.jpg.689d62a2bcad54b2a27343d2a060822e.jpg

Taste? The bitterness is similar. 001 tastes like it wants to be Cooper's Pale Ale. But it's not there yet.

There's little chance 001 will last two years or more but hopefully over the next few weeks it can narrow the gap to Cooper's Pale Ale.

Edit: 001 seems to be losing carbonation whereas Cooper's Pale Ale is producing a steady stream of bubbles.

Edited by Kegory
Update
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It seems there are still a few pours left in my last AG brew - American Pale Ale, there is a noticeable lack of hop flavour/aroma but that is to be expected, all the more reason not to try & age them. 

It is still very drinkable though, just waiting for that horrible sound. 😬 

20230524_162706.thumb.jpg.3c6cc96b8778e8b5578759ccdc2e6e62.jpg

looks very clear ol sausage.

• Like 1

This one I had at "Beer dungeon" temperature, about 15 degrees and oh my , it was good, very different flavors to yesterdays cold one. Still bittersweet and full bodied, but I think I get a hint of the wood flavor of the added cachaca (or maybe I just like to taste it,ha ha). Either way ,I am happy. Great beer, great colour, great label

IMG_6899.jpeg

label.jpeg

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

This one I had at "Beer dungeon" temperature, about 15 degrees and oh my , it was good, very different flavors to yesterdays cold one. Still bittersweet and full bodied, but I think I get a hint of the wood flavor of the added cachaca (or maybe I just like to taste it,ha ha). Either way ,I am happy. Great beer, great colour, great label

IMG_6899.jpeg

label.jpeg

Did you put real cachaça in or flavouring? How much did you put in? Wouldn't oak chips have been cheaper and you could have enjoyed the cachaça in other ways 🙂 

• Like 1

yes, it was real cachaca, about 80ml I believe. Probably should have put it in at the end of fermentation, not sure if I really can taste it , I love to believe so. I was after the amburana flavor. I had two beers before, one in Brasil and one here from The Otherside in Fremantle. Wood chips would probably be better, but I wasn't after oak. If you come to Sydney I give you a taste of the cachaca. It was a present of my wife's relative, who is aging cachaca in wooden barrels in his amazing old country house in Mogi Guacu, Sao Paulo, Brasil. I posted some photos before from his operation and property. I am not a big spirit drinker, but I always like to try the local booze. He actually has all the licenses to export, I hope someone here in Oz would do it, his products are really gooooood.

IMG_6902.jpeg

IMG_6903.PNG

IMG_5575.JPG

IMG_5565.JPG

IMG_5563.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5534.JPG

• Like 7