Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

Little selection of my latest home brews (all ROTM extract kits)  In no particular order

Lost City Brown Ale,  Autumn Amber Ale,  Norse Pale Ale and  Cali Coast IPA. They all have various things in common. After the recommended 2 weeks bottle conditioning and being ready to drink they were not ready at all. Drinkable? yes, but very disappointing and far from their prime. Bitter, sharp tangy (extract can twang?). But a week or two later they all turned into very nice enjoyable beers. Still have a bit of a twang, but I can live with it. Depending on the brew beautiful aromas of toffee, citrus and even peaches (love the Strata hop in the Cali Coast), nice balance between sweet and bitterness and a nice full bodied mouthfeel, with the only exception of the Norse Pale Ale which for it's high Abv does not have much body. Could it be the extreme quick fermentation of the Kweik yeast?

So don't waste your valuable time and money and be disappointed by drinking your brews too early, be patient and you will be rewarded. In my little experience in home brewing the secret to success is hygiene, patience and organization.

IMG_6584.thumb.jpeg.4b2bc229ade7ae6c58be00b3a26f99c1.jpegIMG_6582.thumb.jpeg.2bfb75784651971509d411048431a3c8.jpeg

IMG_6552.thumb.jpeg.1dfd45f8541b7d11e27bf6138f7eab60.jpegIMG_6464(1).thumb.jpeg.ee709a90dda8f31410d43105f19eeb38.jpeg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

So don't waste your valuable time and money and be disappointed by drinking your brews too early, be patient and you will be rewarded. In my little experience in home brewing the secret to success is hygiene, patience and organization

I agree, gotta leave them to mature. Some of the stronger ones need a good few months, it pays to have some stock in

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 9:31 AM, BlackSands said:

Home-crafted bread and "liquid bread" - a perfect high-carb combo!   "Liquid Bread" - Draught kit + LME and Wakatu hops...🤪

Looks beautiful, both sets of carbs 👍

• Like 3

On 5/13/2023 at 5:59 AM, Aussiekraut said:

The point of the exercise was to show the impact yeast has on a beer. It is very interesting to see two so closely related beers tasting so very different. If I have enough left, I will compare them again in about 2 weeks, when the ale had some more time to mature

Interesting stuff AK. Amazing the difference from the yeasts. I reckon the maturing makes quite a difference too 

• Like 1

Yeah it was a few months back now Sainter. It had oats in the recipe, and the haze has stayed in the beer the whole time which has been great. It’s a really nice beer. https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/super-slurper-hazy-ipa.html

I did double the hops in the recipe though. Being an IPA I thought the extra would be good, and it turned out to be a good move, for my tastes anyway.

Cheers 

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Galaxeclipse Pale Ale. Inspired by the Coopers recipe Eclipse Australian Pale Ale.  @NBillett09, you wanted my comments on this one.  Turns out yours sounded much better.

Mine is very average because I used old Galaxy hops.  Just a bad raw vegetable aroma and flavour.  Not worth tipping, but I would not give it to somebody as an example of good homebrew.  I have had this from old Galaxy hops before.  Maybe they are especially susceptible to spoiling with age.

Beery aroma and flavour with the something not quite right.  Raw vegetable? Not sour or off, just not great.

4/10

IMG_3725.JPG.d2ef63b4455439e846a990e2523db548.JPG

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

Bent's Poke Cranking Shaft IPA.  Name slightly changed for copy right purposes.  Third time I have made this one.

Compared to my brew above, this one is outstanding.  In fact, it would be outstanding even if I was not coming from the low base of the previous brew.

• Aromas: Pineapple, mango and citrus
  • Big body and full of flavour
  • Malty, toffee, mango
  • 9/10

IMG_3727.JPG.140a9654b133e082271648e47210dd4b.JPG

• Like 10

Mother's Day turned out pretty busy, I had planned to get a brew going but visitors & neighbours got in the way, not that I am complaining just unexpected. Annie from 2 doors down called in & then another couple followed by a phone call from next door & we all went over there & finally back here.

Now the last thing I feel like is concentrating on a brew. 🤕

20230514_141909.thumb.jpg.6dfdfd9b7d40d2f2364ad7bcbbb73f80.jpg

20230514_150722.thumb.jpg.0ab583aebea7a6adb316d63a08f9315a.jpg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mother's Day turned out pretty busy, I had planned to get a brew going but visitors & neighbours got in the way, not that I am complaining just unexpected. Annie from 2 doors down called in & then another couple followed by a phone call from next door & we all went over there & finally back here.

Nice to see ol Annie again

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Galaxeclipse Pale Ale. Inspired by the Coopers recipe Eclipse Australian Pale Ale.  @NBillett09, you wanted my comments on this one.  Turns out yours sounded much better.

Mine is very average because I used old Galaxy hops.  Just a bad raw vegetable aroma and flavour.  Not worth tipping, but I would not give it to somebody as an example of good homebrew.  I have had this from old Galaxy hops before.  Maybe they are especially susceptible to spoiling with age.

Beery aroma and flavour with the something not quite right.  Raw vegetable? Not sour or off, just not great.

4/10

IMG_3725.JPG.d2ef63b4455439e846a990e2523db548.JPG

One of my first partials that happened to me with the dry hop. I made the beer using Amarillo from my normal home brew store and it smelt amazing 🤩 Then I needed to get some more hops for the dry hop so went to a different home brew store on my way to work for the convenience. (Had mixed results at this shop including smart bottom attitude with owner) so next day opened the packet didn’t get the amazing smell and they looked dull. So being inexperienced (wouldn’t do it now) put them in thinking they will come good but they didn’t. Beer was drinkable but ruined really! Never been back to that shop again and my normal shop knew who I was talking about when I told them without mentioning names! Surprised he’s still in business.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I assume the axe came out later🤣

• Haha 1