Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

That looks awesome 👍

I just ordered some: how so you use it ? There's the instructions and the real experience form the forum 🙂

I read you mix it up with some water (or beer) with a blender, up to 25g / keg, but at what point and where do you mix it in ?

In with the cold crash, then leave it to drop out with the yeast (and not bother reusing the trub I imagine) prior to kegging, or put it straight in the keg itself ?

Anyone have any issues with the plassie sitting in the beer all this time ? Having said that I've put so much poison into my body over the years I doubt that'll finish me off...

I think @ozdevil @Aussiekraut and @MitchBastard have posted about this, if anyone else has sorry I didn't mention.

Cheers!

I mix 250ml of water and a heaped teaspoon in a small bowl and gently stir it into the FV on day 2 of the CC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

If it sits on your yeast cake do you consider it a goner for future brews ?

I did 3 dirty batches in a row onto the previous yeast cake, so 4 batches all up, including the original (using Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast).  The first batch was Isinglass-ed and Polyclar-ed, the next 3 were only Isinglass-ed because I ran out of Polyclar.  The finings being in the slurry did not seem to affect the subsequent beer in any way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So my Passionfruit Catharina Sour, with the pellicle in the fermenter has also formed a pellicle in the keg.  I opened the keg this morning.  Reasonable pressure in the keg.  Looked like it was at least partly carbonated.  I could see bubbles rising.  It did not smell bad.  My guess is that it has continued to ferment.  I will take a SG reading later on.

Should I hook it up in the kegerator and serve it through the system?  I am obviously worried about sanitising the line/tap afterwards.  Maybe I should hook it up to gas in the kegerator, but use a cheap picnic tap for serving.  Yes, I think I will do that, unless I get advice that suggests otherwise.

Fuzzy photo inside the keg

IMG_3653.JPG.f5c58bee0abc7fb86abc69eaa8230316.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Thanks for the info fellas 👍

I should have asked first, I went and ordered 500g .... We'll have to see which runs out first - that or the 1kg of PoR I had sent over from Oz 😭

I haven't (yet) got a yeast plate, looks like more kit to get hold of.

If it sits on your yeast cake do you consider it a goner for future brews ?

Where'd you get 500g of it from? Wouldn't mind ordering a larger amount myself when I need to next. It doesn't have a use by date so probably not a bad idea buying in bulk like that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Where'd you get 500g of it from? Wouldn't mind ordering a larger amount myself when I need to next. It doesn't have a use by date so probably not a bad idea buying in bulk like that. 

Kegland stocks it in 500g quantities.

• Like 5

On 3/15/2023 at 10:29 PM, kmar92 said:

That is obscene, don't you drink?

And how do you store that amount of full kegs, or do you have a big coolroom. Maybe just at ambient?

And why do you need to buy more kegs, are you going to run out?

I drink like I am drowning.  ha ha

Some are stored at ambient but the lagers I like to lager properly and cool for a few weeks under some CO2 pressure as they become so crystal clear after that time, sort of turns them into premium lagers.  The ales I chill and carbonate for 2 weeks before drinking from them.

A couple of more kegs would be nice so I can do several different beers other than just my house beers.  Might even have a crack at a stout / Guinness type recipe for winter drinking (I cannot believe I am thinking of stouts).  Plus, the HSSH wants me to brew her an Irish Red Ale (Rye Ale) and she would take a month of Sundays to consume that keg.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Might even have a crack at a stout / Guinness type recipe for winter drinking (I cannot believe I am thinking of stouts).  Plus, the HSSH wants me to brew her an Irish Red Ale (Rye Ale)

I'm tipping the Irish Red Ale is first cab off the rank Al, happy wife, happy life. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Not much use to you, I’m in Switzerland and I ordered it from the UK as someone is bringing it over. Got hold of some whole hops too, dunno if they’re any use but I thought I might use them to dry hop. 

• Like 3

Kegging up my latest batch of COPA today.  Ya beat me to it @Mickep as I did not have an empty keg available until I killed a near empty keg of CSA.  The extra time cold crashing did not hurt as it has cleared up superbly.

Also got 8 x 345 ml stubbies as travellers.  Nearly all my stash of stubbies are full of various beers so I had better get cracking and do some more travelling ha ha.

COPA 19Mar2023 - resized.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

IPA kegging day, this smelt awesome while filling the keg & taking a sample, the late hop to me, makes a hell of a difference. It seems to linger for much longer, 60gms of Galaxy 4 days before kegging really seems to work.

I just noticed the recipe doesn't show the 200gm of Carapils I also added.

This will be my last extract/addition for a while, next brew will be an AG as the second injection for my shoulder issue has eased the discomfort of lifting a 23l full FV on the bench & then lifting the 19l keg into the fridge, so now I feel more confident about lifting the malt pipe out of the BrewZilla for sparging.

This IPA given the amount of fermentables has finished high, but it also started high, it was 15 days in the brew fridge with temperature control so it ain't going down any lower.

Now I have 2 x full kegs on the gas at 35psi for 24 hours & the AG brew will be cubed & added to the keg fridge fairly soon.

I also have 6 x 500gm Hefe' bottles from the brew.

Cheers.

20230326_123429.jpg

20230326_125743.jpg

20230326_132014.jpg

• Like 8

Hi all.

Just offering a little feedback on these plastic kegs.

The good: they are light, cheaper and at 20 litres will hold a couple of extra pints to a Corny.

The not so good: their footprint is wider so harder to fit in fridge/esky and as you can see from this leaning tower of Pilsener they aren't very robust. This has only been filled and emptied twice. After soaking in hot tap water it's obviously softened the glue that holds the base on.

In summation: they aren't a bad product but with the benefit of hindsight I'd spend $100 on one 19l Corny as opposed to getting two of these next time.

IMG_20230328_054043.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

The pilsner spluttered upon trying to pour a glass on Friday night, so that's empty. Still however much left in the red ale. My new water still arrived on Friday though so I'm busy making water for the next pilsner to be brewed on Saturday. The club is playing an Ambrose so I decided to brew instead 😜

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is an odd one. When I have only one keg hooked up to the gas bottle in the keezer, I can pour beer nicely with a pluto gun. However, when I have a second keg connected to the gas, pouring a beer from the same keg is virtually impossible. All you pour is a glass of froth. I can't quite figure out why it is doing that or the physics behind it. 

Any clues? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

This is an odd one. When I have only one keg hooked up to the gas bottle in the keezer, I can pour beer nicely with a pluto gun. However, when I have a second keg connected to the gas, pouring a beer from the same keg is virtually impossible. All you pour is a glass of froth. I can't quite figure out why it is doing that or the physics behind it. 

Any clues? 

Wasn't @Red devil 44 our resident gas expert, maybe he can explain it. 

Sounds a bit weird to me.  Seems like, with the second keg hooked up, there is more pressure in the original keg with the pluto gun on it.  Instinctively, for it to foam more, it must be flowing faster.  Can you tell if it is flowing faster or slower?  I have had rough pours from a pluto gun if I do not fully open the trigger.  Maybe the flow is a bit slower and so the gun is not pouring properly?

Is this your set up with the individual inline regulators?  

When I started with kegging, using a 4 way manifold, the flow from each keg progressively varied.  The keg hooked up to the gas outlet closest to the CO2 bottle was fastest and the keg hooked up to the last gas outlet was slowest.  I would have thought the gas pressure in the lines was pretty even, but maybe not. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sounds a bit weird to me.  Seems like, with the second keg hooked up, there is more pressure in the original keg with the pluto gun on it.  Instinctively, for it to foam more, it must be flowing faster.  Can you tell if it is flowing faster or slower?  I have had rough pours from a pluto gun if I do not fully open the trigger.  Maybe the flow is a bit slower and so the gun is not pouring properly?

When I started with kegging, using a 4 way manifold, the flow from each keg progressively varied.  The keg hooked up to the gas outlet closest to the CO2 bottle was fastest and the keg hooked up to the last gas outlet was slowest.  I would have thought the gas pressure in the lines was pretty even, but maybe not. 

Yeah that’s a strange one, as @Shamus O'Seansaid, it this your set up with individual regulators?

Do you have check valves in the line ? 
Maybe send us a pic @Aussiekrautso I can assist further ? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It's an odd one. I only noticed it yesterday. I kegged a beer and hooked it up to the gas. Whilst I was there, I decided to pour a beer from the other keg and it was frothing like mad. I thought I hadn't poured it properly and cleaned up the mess. A little later I tried to pour another one and it did the same thing. The glass fills up hellishly fat and it keeps frothing. It's like the serving pressure is way too high. 

The setup is simple, a small gas bottle with a regulator, a t-piece and two disconnects. All with 5mm gas lines. 

I've never noticed it before and I often have an established keg and a fresh one in there but never had this. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

It's an odd one. I only noticed it yesterday. I kegged a beer and hooked it up to the gas. Whilst I was there, I decided to pour a beer from the other keg and it was frothing like mad. I thought I hadn't poured it properly and cleaned up the mess. A little later I tried to pour another one and it did the same thing. The glass fills up hellishly fat and it keeps frothing. It's like the serving pressure is way too high. 

The setup is simple, a small gas bottle with a regulator, a t-piece and two disconnects. All with 5mm gas lines. 

I've never noticed it before and I often have an established keg and a fresh one in there but never had this. 

How much pressure is in the non serving keg, could that be feeding into the other keg pushing the pressure up?

• Like 1