Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

Kegged the Kaiju Krush clone tonight.

The fermenters were dosed with Isinglass and Polyclar.  This is one of the clearest beers I have ever seen.

The aroma and flavour of the taste test I took bodes very well for this brew.  

Again, no room in the kegerator.  I also have a Coopers Sparkling Ale ready to go.  I think that one might have to wait so I can get this hop heavy one in first and minimise hop character loss.

IMG_3580.JPG.ed8f3731f3c80de0f474df1ce408824c.JPG

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged the Kaiju Krush clone tonight.

The fermenters were dosed with Isinglass and Polyclar.  This is one of the clearest beers I have ever seen.

The aroma and flavour of the taste test I took bodes very well for this brew.  

Again, no room in the kegerator.  I also have a Coopers Sparkling Ale ready to go.  I think that one might have to wait so I can get this hop heavy one in first and minimise hop character loss.

Looks superb Shamus, beautiful colour & so clear.

• Like 3

Kegging day at Classic Brewing Co, a Real Ale & a Stout.

The Real Ale was dry hopped on day 7 & there was still a bit of hop matter clogging the bottling wand for the last few litres, I didn't bother with saving the yeast for that reason, got my 19l keg & a 2l Growler & a couple of longnecks.

The Stout didn't appear to be fully fermented out as the yeast cake (S-04) wasn't solid, but I think it will be OK, it finished a little high 1.014 but I have had this before.

I still got 19l in the keg & 6 x longnecks.

All put in the fridge & the bottle in boxes, now it's time for a beer.

Cheers & Happy Brewing.   *Big smile*

20230121_111655.jpg

20230121_113546.jpg

20230121_125629.jpg

20230121_125821.jpg

20230121_130742.jpg

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@Classic Brewing Co, I see the Gourmet Traveller Seafood cookbook next to the longnecks. How about you cook one of the recipes for us and post the photo of the dish and the recipe. I will keep an eye on 'What's on the Menu'.

Ok Jenny I will, that is one of many cookbooks but there are a few great recipes in there.

• Like 3

Kegged the K&K Stone & Wood Clone ABV= 4.7%

Kegged the double batch AG Coopers XPA Clone ABV= 4.2% 

On R&R so heading down to Kingscliff NSW for a few days tomorrow with the bride, hoping to stop in at the Stone & Wood Brewery for a few jars and lunch whilst in the neighbourhood 🍻🍻

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Kegged the K&K Stone & Wood Clone ABV= 4.7%

Kegged the double batch AG Coopers XPA Clone ABV= 4.2% 

On R&R so heading down to Kingscliff NSW for a few days tomorrow with the bride, hoping to stop in at the Stone & Wood Brewery for a few jars and lunch whilst in the neighbourhood 🍻🍻

Hey Red, what was your recipe for the Coopers XPA?  I am planning one in a few weeks.  I saw The Home Brew Network (Gav's) version in the Brewfather library, but I am basing mine more on the indicators in the Coopers XPA recipe.  So a 15 minute boil of Simcoe and Lemondrop.  But I am doing the bittering with a 1:2 ratio of Simcoe and Lemondrop instead of Magnum or Pride of Ringwood.  I am also going to use the Coopers Premium Pale Malt, a fair whack of Crystal plus a few 100 grams of Wheat Malt.

• Like 2

I have brewed the Coopers XPA 3 times now, and although not exactly to recipe I have found the the Home Brew Network recipe worked out best, I tried the Darryl Hosking version and it was fine but I did prefer the Gash version. I did not use the CCA yeast though so that may have affected the brew, I brewed all 3 versions with Voss Kviek. YMMV.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I have brewed the Coopers XPA 3 times now, and although not exactly to recipe I have found the the Home Brew Network recipe worked out best, I tried the Darryl Hosking version and it was fine but I did prefer the Gash version. I did not use the CCA yeast though so that may have affected the brew, I brewed all 3 versions with Voss Kviek. YMMV.

Thanks @kmar92, I did find your versions and thought they looked a lot like the Home Brew Network recipe.

I will be using CCA yeast.  I was going to retire the last lot, then I saw either your post or @Red devil 44's about drinking the XPA and I thought, why not once more around the merry-go-round.  So I harvested the trub from the COPA I kegged a week ago.  That will make it 5 brews with the one lot of yeast from Coopers stubbies.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Red, what was your recipe for the Coopers XPA?  I am planning one in a few weeks.  I saw The Home Brew Network (Gav's) version in the Brewfather library, but I am basing mine more on the indicators in the Coopers XPA recipe.  So a 15 minute boil of Simcoe and Lemondrop.  But I am doing the bittering with a 1:2 ratio of Simcoe and Lemondrop instead of Magnum or Pride of Ringwood.  I am also going to use the Coopers Premium Pale Malt, a fair whack of Crystal plus a few 100 grams of Wheat Malt.

Hey mate, I did modify it a bit, this was a double batch, so I guess you just half it. 
7kg Gladfield Ale Malt 

350g Crystal Malt

Magnum 20g Boil 60 min

Simcoe 25g 10 min boil 

Lemondrop upped to 20g, 10 min boil 

Dry Hop under fermentation day 4

25g Lemondrop 

25g Simcoe

2 x packs US-05 Yeast (Dry) 

Pretty much followed the Brewfather recipe 

Pressure fermented at 15PSI, so is now in the keezer on serving pressure, heading off for a few days so should be Mickey Mouse when i get back

• Like 4

Kegged my bits and pieces brew today.

Closed transfer as usual. This brew ended up with a substantial trub in the bottom of the fermenter for some reason? Maybe the Voss Kviek, which is noted as a high flocculating yeast. Very happy with the clarity, it was only kettle fined with whirlfloc and cold crashed.

Looking forward to sampling this in a day or 2 when it is carbonated.

2386e.jpg

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 5

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg FG was 1.010 from an OG of 1.051, so yes it was a pretty good attenuation from the Voss Kviek.

I do all my transfers via a closed method, so from a pressure fermented batch in my kegmenter and also for transfer from a normal plazzi FV. Yes the keg is purged with CO2 to get rid of any O2 and then the FV is connected to the liquid post via a closed line, the gas post on the keg is vented via another line and the beer then just transfers via gravity (siphon) to the keg without any contact with O2. Minimizes any chance of oxidation of the beer as the FV has a blanket of CO2 on top of the beer from the ferment and there is no other exposure of the beer to O2. This type of transfer from the plazzi FV does not take too long, maybe 10-15 minutes. When I do a closed transfer from my pressure fermented kegmenter it does take a while, probably 45 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg yes correct the white connection is the gas disconnect and that line just vents as the keg fills.

The pressure ferment takes a lot longer as there is a lot more tube involved, there is a floating pick up tube within the kegmenter which adds length and thus friction, as well as a liquid and gas jumper set.

Yes I do it to minimise the risk of oxidation, oxidation will happen over time if any O2 is present. No I haven't noticed any taste differences as all my brews are closed transfers so I do not have a reference point I guess.

• Like 3

First batch of the year is kegged finally, being the pilsner I pitched in December. Having a little fermenter sample now, and while it's a bit cloudy with yeast it tastes pretty decent. The stupid fridge wouldn't drop it to the usual 2 degrees for some reason even though I had it set at the lowest setting, then I reset it a couple of days ago and it got down there, might have dropped more yeast by now if it'd got down properly to begin with 🫤 anyway it's sitting on about 25-30psi until tomorrow, and I'll turn the gas off to that keg and leave it another day or whatever before turning on serving pressure. It's not my normal process but I don't need it ready until next weekend and it will prevent overcarbonation, it should clear up more by then as well. The higher pressure is for the soda water also just refilled. 

The red ale will be dry hopped tomorrow, and I'll look to keg it either next Sunday or early the following week. After next pay I'll order another water still so I can get the brewing water sorted for the next couple of batches. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

@Otto Von Blotto, Please can you show a photo of your current water still? Is this important for all your brewing?

Not anymore, I threw the old one in the bin when it broke down 😂 but if you look on eBay for water distiller there's thousands of them. 

For me I suppose it's important because I like to make different water profiles for different beer styles and I figured it was easier to start with basically a blank slate and add mineral salts to create them rather than try to modify the tap water somehow, however I'm brewing from grains so it's more important than it is with kits. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

@Otto Von Blotto, Please can you show a photo of your current water still? Is this important for all your brewing?

any reason why you want to  use distilled water,    

its not really important  for extract brewing   as that would have taken during the process of making the goo   

if its chlorine and chloromine you are wanting to shell out you may want to   use a 1/2 Campden tablet  in some hotwater and  dissolve it and allow to cool   if anything

all grain brewing   water chemistry plays a big part    of it  and even then you still dont need to use salts  

• Like 1