Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

FLICK this FLICKING hobby!
Those who've read me on here for awhile know I was initially against getting into kegs. I was happy bottling away but then Kegland came out with these cheap 8 litre PET kegs which made a keg set up more than affordable. I thought, "Why not?"
Then I discover 8 litre kegs empty fairly quickly and maintaining a supply of carbonated beer is a bit trickier than I anticipated, even though I bought 12 of the suckers. Problem was solved inexpensively when I discovered Keg King 20 litre PET kegs ($50 each). I bought two. 20 litre kegs take longer to empty, giving me more time to get the next keg carbonated. Sweet.
The solution turned out to be a temporary fix only. With the success of a couple of brews I served the family over Christmas, one a hard cider the girls really liked, orders have been placed for my son's upcoming engagement. He wants Malter's Coopers extract lager with harvested CCA yeast and she's ordered the apple blackcurrant cider that I fermented with the Coopers sachet from the lager tin. So I'm doing 2 x 20l beer and 2 x 8l ciders for their party plus my wife and daughter want some cider for home. This is going to leave me juggling cats to keep my own kegged beer stocks at a decent level. Hence I've just ordered another 2 x 19l steel cornies from Kegland today.
FLICK this FLICKING hobby! FLICK the FLICKING rabbit hole. It's got me in it's grip. 🤣

• Haha 11

14 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Those who've read me on here for awhile know I was initially against getting into kegs. I was happy bottling away but then Kegland came out with these cheap 8 litre PET kegs which made a keg set up more than affordable. I thought, "Why not?"
Then I discover 8 litre kegs empty fairly quickly and maintaining a supply of carbonated beer is a bit trickier than I anticipated, even though I bought 12 of the suckers. Problem was solved inexpensively when I discovered Keg King 20 litre PET kegs ($50 each). I bought two. 20 litre kegs take longer to empty, giving me more time to get the next keg carbonated. Sweet.
The solution turned out to be a temporary fix only. With the success of a couple of brews I served the family over Christmas, one a hard cider the girls really liked, orders have been placed for my son's upcoming engagement. He wants Malter's Coopers extract lager with harvested CCA yeast and she's ordered the apple blackcurrant cider that I fermented with the Coopers sachet from the lager tin. So I'm doing 2 x 20l beer and 2 x 8l ciders for their party plus my wife and daughter want some cider for home. This is going to leave me juggling cats to keep my own kegged beer stocks at a decent level. Hence I've just ordered another 2 x 19l steel cornies from Kegland today.
FLICK this FLICKING hobby! FLICK the FLICKING rabbit hole. It's got me in it's grip. 🤣

The old saying, if it's got t1ts or tyres it's gonna cost ya money. I guess we can add brewing to that 😂

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I was wondering how long it would be till you succumbed to the corny path @Malter White!!!

I think that you will find that path good, the SS cornies are far more durable than the PET versions.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Malter White said:

As a fellow "Tight *ss" I feel your pain

but after all this crap over a party,

You are going to end up with a few extra Steel Cornies for your Use.

And the world will be back on it's normal axis 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

Keep hanging on mate 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha, love it mate, cheers 🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

As a fellow "Tight *ss" I feel your pain

but after all this crap over a party,

You are going to end up with a few extra Steel Cornies for your Use.

And the world will be back on it's normal axis 

The steel cornies are for ME, Dave. The plastics are going to the party but I don't think I could keep up production for myself and now the others if I didn't get the extra kegs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Malter White said:

The steel cornies are for ME, Dave. The plastics are going to the party but I don't think I could keep up production for myself and now the others if I didn't get the extra kegs.

Hey Malter, with all of those kegs, have considered a backup bottle? I have a 2.6kg & a 6kg & I am about to order another 6kg bottle, to be sure 🍀... 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Malter, with all of those kegs, have considered a backup bottle? I have a 2.6kg & a 6kg & I am about to order another 6kg bottle, to be sure 🍀... 

I have 2 x 2.6kg bottles, Phil. I considered a 6kg but I keep my gas in the fridge and the 6 would be too tall. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the fridge and a gas bottle outside the fridge looks a bit untidy to me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Malter White said:

I have 2 x 2.6kg bottles, Phil. I considered a 6kg but I keep my gas in the fridge and the 6 would be too tall. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the fridge and a gas bottle outside the fridge looks a bit untidy to me.

Fair enough, I can understand that mine is outside, but it sort of gives the Bar Romm a retro look - Ha Ha as if it's not retro looking anyway.

I just want to always have gas on hand, I know I can go to Beer Belly 25km's away & get re-fills 2.6kg $39, 6kg $49 but I still want peace of mind with a full 6kg bottle as back-up.

20230112_115523.jpg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Fair enough, I can understand that mine is outside, but it sort of gives the Bar Romm a retro look - Ha Ha as if it's not retro looking anyway.

I just want to always have gas on hand, I know I can go to Beer Belly 25km's away & get re-fills 2.6kg $39, 6kg $49 but I still want peace of mind with a full 6kg bottle as back-up.

phil , i would use the 6kg as your main supply  and use the 2.6kg  to get you out of the tight spot  as your more then likely going to run out when the gas shop is closed like a Friday night and ya have to wait till Monday to fill the buggas again lol.  but either way works thou

i reckon i have an overkill of co2    2x6kg  1x 2.6kg  1xsodastream bottles and 2 boxes of bulbs  i do think i have peace of mind there 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

phil , i would use the 6kg as your main supply  and use the 2.6kg  to get you out of the tight spot  as your more then likely going to run out when the gas shop is closed like a Friday night and ya have to wait till Monday to fill the buggas again lol.  but either way works thou

i reckon i have an overkill of co2    2x6kg  1x 2.6kg  1xsodastream bottles and 2 boxes of bulbs  i do think i have peace of mind there 🤣

I have got the 6kg hooked up as the main supply, the 2.6kg is back-up but I am getting another 6kg then I know I will be right. 

Down the track I have plans for the 2.6kg bottle as I am looking in to get something transportable like a Jockey Box.

https://www.kegland.com.au/double-tap-cooler-jockey-magic-box-with-aluminium-cold-plate.html

kl12447_1_.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have got the 6kg hooked up as the main supply, the 2.6kg is back-up but I am getting another 6kg then I know I will be right. 

Down the track I have plans for the 2.6kg bottle as I am looking in to get something transportable like a Jockey Box.

https://www.kegland.com.au/double-tap-cooler-jockey-magic-box-with-aluminium-cold-plate.html

kl12447_1_.jpg

I sooooooo want one of these rippers. It's definitely front and center on my wish list to Santa. 🎅......(What has happened to our emoji's)

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

I sooooooo want one of these rippers. It's definitely front and center on my wish list to Santa.

These Jockey Boxes are great but after reading in to it, there is a lot of mucking about to get it set up. I would think if you were catering for an all-day event, they could be a winner.

I may have to re-think this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

kl12447_1_.jpg

Not for $445, I could build one myself for $150 out of my esky 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mickep said:

@Red devil 44 Red, Curiosity - what chilling option would you use ie chill plate or coils etc?

I’ve modified one esky, don’t use it that often, but when I do mainly just pack ice around the keg inside the esky.

‘The one I modified is more upright so can fit either a 9L or 19L in there, with enough space for ice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I am having second thoughts, they look great & well-made but you are right there are cheaper options.

I use growlers when I go out somewhere! I have 2 x 2 litre growlers I fill from the tap with some food grade hose! Just have make sure everything is chilled before filling!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I use growlers when I go out somewhere! I have 2 x 2 litre growlers I fill from the tap with some food grade hose! Just have make sure everything is chilled before filling!

Yeah, I have a glass 2l Growler & I will be getting another soon at the end of the day if you put them on ice in a container/Esky - next best thing.

• Like 1