Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

My way of thinking and action is different to ^^^

To me serving pressure is different to carbonation pressure.

Serving pressure is only mainly there to push the beer out of the keg and into your glass.

Carbonation pressure is only mainly there to cause fizz and bubbles in the glass.

My interpretation and subsequent set up is to carbonate the beer at a higher pressure than you are serving at so that the beer has some stored pressure/energy.  The reasoning is that once the beer has been forced out of the keg and into your glass the CO2 will want to come out of solution and appear as bubbles in your glass and release their energy.

That is why I carbonate my kegs higher than serving pressure and when serving during a session I drop the pressure down to a comfortable serving flow.  The bubbles in the beer flow naturally afterwards until a balance is achieved in the keg, this takes some time, but not a long time.  Once a session is finished, then up the carbonation pressure again overnight to re-charge the keg.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Serving pressure is only mainly there to push the beer out of the keg and into your glass.

Carbonation pressure is only mainly there to cause fizz and bubbles in the glass.

My interpretation and subsequent set up is to carbonate the beer at a higher pressure than you are serving at so that the beer has some stored pressure/energy.  The reasoning is that once the beer has been forced out of the keg and into your glass the CO2 will want to come out of solution and appear as bubbles in your glass and release their energy.

That is why I carbonate my kegs higher than serving pressure and when serving during a session I drop the pressure down to a comfortable serving flow.  The bubbles in the beer flow naturally afterwards until a balance is achieved in the keg, this takes some time, but not a long time.  Once a session is finished, then up the carbonation pressure again overnight to re-charge the keg.

Hope that makes sense.

You are a mastermind why have you been absent for so long? I prefer beer carbed at 14 or 15 psi but the flow seems so fast. When I have dropped it to 12 for serving over weeks it appears to lose a hit of fizz.

So it does need a little boost sometimes you are right. 

Regarding the keg of Carlton Draught I have it must have been carbed well 10 psi and it is happy. Although it spent 5 days on 12 

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Hope that makes sense.

What you are saying makes sense.  In the words of one of our well known contributors, it is just another way to the top of the mountain.

However, I think the art is in matching the carbonation pressure to your serving pressure.  Ideally you want to achieve the carbonation level you want.  Then you want beer lines long enough so, without changing the carbonation pressure, you can nicely serve your beer.

Admittedly, that is not a utopia that I have reached. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What you are saying makes sense.  In the words of one of our well known contributors, it is just another way to the top of the mountain.

However, I think the art is in matching the carbonation pressure to your serving pressure.  Ideally you want to achieve the carbonation level you want.  Then you want beer lines long enough so, without changing the carbonation pressure, you can nicely serve your beer.

Admittedly, that is not a utopia that I have reached. 🤪

Every now & again I have to make continuous adjustments to my serving pressure etc. to get the perfect pour, although the first pour is always a little heady, the next few are OK, but if the tap is idle for a while, you have the same situation.

I do burb the keg & make adjustments to the flow control etc. but it can be annoying sometimes.

At the end of the day, you still get beer so,

I imagine it was caused by changing my normal carbonation routine.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

I just got a new CO2 bottle, 10kg. It is full but the dial looks pretty low 

IMG_1386.jpeg

either weigh the 10kg bottle   or boil your kettle  and pour boiling water  over the bottle this will then tell you if the new bottle is fairly low

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stquinto said:

I just got a new CO2 bottle, 10kg. It is full but the dial looks pretty low 

IMG_1386.jpeg

The high pressure reading (pressure in the bottle) is very much temperature dependent, so if the bottle is cold the pressure will be much lower than at higher temps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2