Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

57 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hi all, yeah I do store a few away warm, under my house in a corner of my brew area which I can keep light away from, reasonably cool area also. 

The keezer only has one keg in it currently, an highly hopped American Legbreaker IPA, 2nd one (XPA) in tomorrow as I gave it another day in the fermenter to stabilise FG. I have another FWK to throw down, a Sabro-hopped Extra Pale Ale, with the wife still recovering from surgery I haven’t had any time to throw an AG together, it will come down the track. 
‘Got a few K&K,s may pimp out a Pale Ale, see how I go. 

IMG_4761.jpeg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

BUT the beer coming through after the first couple of quick pours will be cold

It wont be. Beer coming through 4 metres of line in ambient temp is not ideal. Have you ever heard of the magic box when you hire a 50 litre keg from a pub. The beer line sits in ice to keep the run through cold.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah thanks, I appreciate your input, the keg has never been out of the fridge, it was placed on the sink for the test run.

I haven't got time to do the water test, but I am pretty sure @Pale Man is on the money with the warm beer lines.

Cheers.

I'm not sure about these water tests and such. Its not rocket science.

Correct length of beer line regarding inside diameter for your tap.

Correctly gassed keg.

Cold keg.......cold beer line = nice pour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Gash on his last live YouTube said he has even tipped partial kegs out to make room for fresh kegs so maybe the near gone ones tip them out you have enjoyed most of it

gash brews a couple of times a week   and to keep up he may tip a few a few kegs.   if he has brewed a good beer he wont tip at any stage

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

He Paley,  

I connected everything up & give her  r test run, in spite of a 4m line & burping the keg multiple times its still pouring heavy.

I will have to keep it up daily I suppose to get normal pouring pressure.

Otherwise it's a cool thing to have & the beers OK too.

20231220_160310.jpg

20231220_160518.jpg

Can I ask why the Gas Line is 4m long, shouldn’t it be the beer line that’s 4m long to prevent cavitation and foaming ? Just saying 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Can I ask why the Gas Line is 4m long, shouldn’t it be the beer line that’s 4m long to prevent cavitation and foaming ? Just saying 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Top point mate did not even notice that I was more concentrating on the beer pour his tap is connected to the keg

DOH 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

He Paley,  

I connected everything up & give her  r test run, in spite of a 4m line & burping the keg multiple times its still pouring heavy.

20231220_160310.jpg

20231220_160518.jpg

Phil now we have seen the tap is connected to the keg I would star from scratch turn the gas off and release rhe PRV 

From there slowly start poring beer from your tap at first it will be nothing until you get a stream of beer it will probably be around 5psi to 7psi the only thing if it's too low the keg will end up under carbonated before it's finished so then you may have to add beer line

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

He Paley,  

20231220_160310.jpg

20231220_160518.jpg

if that is only a 5litre keg   or smaller    what i do    is get a  eski bag  dump the keg in  it then  fill the eski with ice 

this is the size eski bag i have  and rather cheap from bunnings its a 30 can cooler

Esky 30 Can Hybrid Soft Cooler

this should work with the tap system  that you have with that keg

Just to show you what i mean     

20220430_222520.thumb.jpg.f696a10f08d6bd47b82040a8c4a3382d.jpg

the keg in there is 5litre ikegger    not much smaller then yours    and have used this on many occasions with just a pluto gun  ,  mainly on the golf course  and stayed cold the entire time and just used the sodastream bulbs   to keep it carbed and to pour   

i went through 15 pots +2 375ml stubbies   the group in front of us ran out of beer   and they seen i was pouring beer into aglass lol  and gave me 20 bucks for filling 2 stubbies and back at the clubhouse they paid for my beers lol.

having said that   my beer was carbed  before going into the eski and was at 1°c before going into eski full of ice   with a 1 metre beer line to pluto 

the esky i shown in the above pics works really well    but with my 5litre keg it fits through the top  i just cant close it due to  gas and pluto gun but it does the job   and is very portable   

i had this on golf cart   and i thought  yeah its going to be all foam and froth    but surprisingly it wasnt   with all the bumping of  uneven surface  a golf course provides  on a country track

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yes beer line should be 4 metres long. Gas line does not matter. I didnt notice that either.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The usual canandrum. I have no room to brew because the kegerator, and the keezer are full and the freshly kegged beer is currently in the ferment fridges. I need to brew but have no room. 

So, should I just leave the fresh kegs on the side in the hot temps and gas them up when they’re needed or do I gas them up now and put them aside. Either way, I need room for fermenters. The obvious option of gassing them up and leave them in the fridges is not an option. I have 3 beers lined up and need to get them out ASAP.

Thoughts?

Hey AK,

Maybe not best practice, but I often have full and half full kegs in the garage for several months without a spot in the kegerator.  Garage can get up to 35°C in summer.  It does not seem to affect the beer once I finally cool and carbonate it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Yes beer line should be 4 metres long. Gas line does not matter. I didnt notice that either.

OK, update on the mini keg saga, I have it all worked out, thanks for all who responded, much appreciated.

Special thanks to @Pale Man & @Hoppy81 as I get to talk to these guys you are able to exchange photos & comments which really help.

I went to the LHBS who sell a lot of Kegs etc. & the guy was also very helpful & I walked away without spending a cent.

Apart from the beer line (all 4 metres of it) I just need to shorten it & the current tap will be fine if I keep burping the keg & keep the psi down as low as 2-4 until I establish a good pour.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK, update on the mini keg saga, I have it all worked out, thanks for all who responded, much appreciated.

Special thanks to @Pale Man & @Hoppy81 as I get to talk to these guys you are able to exchange photos & comments which really help.

I went to the LHBS who sell a lot of Kegs etc. & the guy was also very helpful & I walked away without spending a cent.

Apart from the beer line (all 4 metres of it) I just need to shorten it & the current tap will be fine if I keep burping the keg & keep the psi down as low as 2-4 until I establish a good pour.

Instead of burping the keg turn the gas off & back the regulator off and pour a few beers same as burping but doing it another way

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I should add the 4m beer line I mentioned isn't actually a beer line, it is just delivering the gas to the keg.

As I said yesterday, I made a faux pas thinking that it was.

It has been shortened & Bob's your Uncle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am lost on this. What was the actual problem and the solution?  I wondered why everyone was talking about beer line length when it appeared that you had a tap on the keg? And what you then extended the gas line>? Like I said i am lost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I am lost on this. What was the actual problem and the solution?  I wondered why everyone was talking about beer line length when it appeared that you had a tap on the keg? And what you then extended the gas line>? Like I said i am lost.

According to Phil it's all sorted but now the psi is too low

I don't know whether it's dad's army or faulty towers

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Haha 1