Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale ( partial mash with Gladfield Ale and Weyerman Wheat )

20230909_160339.jpg

I have seen many photo's of people doing this sort of transfer to a keg from a FV and using a spunding valve on the gas post on the keg. I don't understand what the purpose of the spunding valve is, maybe I am just stupid.

Can anyone enlighten me?

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale ( partial mash with Gladfield Ale and Weyerman Wheat )

20230909_160339.jpg

Looks very pale for a Bootmaker Pale Ale.  Should be lovely.

@kmar92, when I do a transfer like this, I just fit a gas disconnect to the gas post and just let the CO2 in the keg vent off into the air.  I figure the CO2 coming out makes it difficult for any oxygen to get back in.  I guess you could use a spunding valve set to a really low psi.  However, the gravity transfer is slow enough as it is.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@kmar92, when I do a transfer like this, I just fit a gas disconnect to the gas post and just let the CO2 in the keg vent off into the air.  I figure the CO2 coming out makes it difficult for any oxygen to get back in.  I guess you could use a spunding valve set to a really low psi.  However, the gravity transfer is slow enough as it is.

Yes I do the same.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I have seen many photo's of people doing this sort of transfer to a keg from a FV and using a spunding valve on the gas post on the keg. I don't understand what the purpose of the spunding valve is, maybe I am just stupid.

Can anyone enlighten me?

The way i see it is..........I purge the keg of oxygen, and keep the lid on during transfer. I transfer beer through the out post, so it goes in through the dip tube to the bottom of the keg.

The spunding valve acts as a bleed off as the beer fills the keg.

Technically its not a full oxygen free transfer using this fermenter as it would be using my fermzilla, but close enough.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pale Man said:

The way i see it is..........I purge the keg of oxygen, and keep the lid on during transfer. I transfer beer through the out post, so it goes in through the dip tube to the bottom of the keg.

The spunding valve acts as a bleed off as the beer fills the keg.

Technically its not a full oxygen free transfer using this fermenter as it would be using my fermzilla, but close enough.

OK thanks @PaleMan, I do the same as you but without the spunding valve. I guess that in effect you are using the spunding valve and its disconnect as just the way to vent the keg as it fills, I just use a disconnect to vent it as the spunding valve will slow down that venting process by restricting the amount of CO2 that the keg can vent in a given time.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

What a sad sight, 2 empty kegs, but it's kegging day 😀 I still have 2 other kegs in the storeroom to fill, somehow, I am only managing to keep 2 full at any one time, I need to up my production or slow down the taps but how do you do that 🤔

EMPTYKEGS.thumb.jpg.4a4d3fd602bb5c3215ad2b65b08e5ad8.jpg

Well, the Eclipse IPA (AG brew) is in the keg on the gas at 20psi, I will probably leave it for 2 days & turn it down to 12c as I am very thirsty 😋 I only bothered with 4 x 500ml bottles as there was a busy krausen & large yeast deposit (US-05) 

1.044 -1.010

I should get a taste within 24-36 hours; the clock is ticking. 

R.gif

4 x 500ml.jpg

1010.jpg

us 05.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well, the Eclipse IPA (AG brew) is in the keg on the gas at 20psi, I will probably leave it for 2 days & turn it down to 12c as I am very thirsty 😋 I only bothered with 4 x 500ml bottles as there was a busy krausen & large yeast deposit (US-05) 

1.044 -1.010

I should get a taste within 24-36 hours; the clock is ticking. 

R.gif

4 x 500ml.jpg

1010.jpg

us 05.jpg  

Here's a shot of the FV (above) with 2 x tbs of Bi Carbonate of Soda & filled with water, I rinsed it out & this is the result an hour later, I highly recommend this great product for cleaning. 

Obviously in the morning it will get a wash with Sodium Perc & a blast with Stellar San in the morning, but it is so easy.

clean.thumb.jpg.bef8d64435906d15c6db4aee1212435c.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Here's a shot of the FV (above) with 2 x tbs of Bi Carbonate of Soda & filled with water, I rinsed it out & this is the result an hour later, I highly recommend this great product for cleaning. 

Obviously in the morning it will get a wash with Sodium Perc & a blast with Stellar San in the morning, but it is so easy.

I soak overnight in sodium percarbonate and it looks the same in the morning. I soak a 2nd tap in the bucket as well, so I can replace it for the next brew. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I soak overnight in sodium percarbonate and it looks the same in the morning. I soak a 2nd tap in the bucket as well, so I can replace it for the next brew. 

Yes, I do that too, but sometimes I just do the Bi-Carb first, not necessary I know but I will be using StellaOxy which of course is not a no rinse cleaner/sanitiser.

On 9/28/2023 at 4:27 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Bi carb is good for cleaning windows and being a pH buffer for pools, sodium percarbonate is good for cleaning fermenters.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Kegged my Rye-Rish Red Ale today (also cleaned 2 beer lines, cleaned 2 kegs, filled them with sanitiser and purged them with CO2)

I got a full 19 litre keg, a keg with 8.3 litres and a couple of 330ml fliptop bottles.  The samples tasted very nice.

Pressurising the FV to transfer to bottles

IMG_3956.JPG.02c8c4a8b97a378ae59120879e72c693.JPG

Transferring to the first keg

IMG_3957.JPG.90d04cc970103fa950e319c4d8df4471.JPG

• Like 5

Hey @Uhtred Of Beddanburg, you spoke on another thread here about difficulties with some plastic kegs.  I thought I would move the conversation to a more suitable thread, than the "cleaning fermenters" one.  Can you give some more detail of the issue?  There might be some advice we can give.  Alternatively, we can watch out for products that do not quite do what they should.

I have had issues with the Kegland Oxybar kegs.  Mine two are gathering dust in the shed.  I had issues with getting a seal with the screw on posts.

image.png.b776c71f49aef3f387325854f2fef691.png

On the other hand I have had mostly success with the Keg King Fermenter King Juniors as serving kegs.

image.png.0074ca29fce9c9e009dc631b87a32e75.png

• Like 2

@Shamus O'Sean yes mate those exact kegs in picture. my trouble was mainly around the fact that while pouring a beer on keggerator.

The plastic posts seem like don't fit connections properly compared to the metal ones. 

The only way to pour a beer is to be pushing the connection onto the post which I don't bother with. That's why they have been downgraded to line cleaning. 

The issue seems to be that the plastic connections on keggerator are worn down a bit too much. As I have used a new connection with pluto gun on plastic keg and worked fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

The only way to pour a beer is to be pushing the connection onto the post which I don't bother with

Hmm.  That's very weird.  I use plenty of the plastic carbonation caps and do not seem to have an issue with them connecting to my plastic disconnects.  Mind you, I do not think my plastic disconnects are worn.

I wonder if part of the issue for you and for me is that the posts on the plastic kegs are horizontal whereas on metal kegs they are vertical.  Vertical posts would seem to offer better balance for the disconnect.  However, the horizontal ones can have the weight of the beer/gas line also pushing laterally on the post and creating a tendency to "bend" and crack away from the seal. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hmm.  That's very weird.  I use plenty of the plastic carbonation caps and do not seem to have an issue with them connecting to my plastic disconnects.  Mind you, I do not think my plastic disconnects are worn.

I wonder if part of the issue for you and for me is that the posts on the plastic kegs are horizontal whereas on metal kegs they are vertical.  Vertical posts would seem to offer better balance for the disconnect.  However, the horizontal ones can have the weight of the beer/gas line also pushing laterally on the post and creating a tendency to "bend" and crack away from the seal. 

Yes you could be onto something there as the gas connection seems to be ok but the liquid struggles. As suggested I don't think the bundled up line hanging helps the seal. 

The smaller line pluto gun with less weight clicks in real easy. Definitely feels like a tighter connection though.

I think my beer connections have been on and off a bit more than the gas and probably worn down a little also. So a combination of both things mentioned for me I would say.

• Like 2

Kegged and bottled my Quarvel (Quarter of a Duvel 😁) beer on Friday.

That was the Parti-Gyle brew.  In that process, you firstly mash the grains like the Brew-in-the-Bag method.  Then drain off all the liquid and collect it for one boil.  In my case I then mashed the same grains again with another lot of water and brewed a mash and sparge method and collect the wort of a second boil.  Now I think about it and have done some more reading, I probably did not need to mash again.  I think I could have just rinsed the second lot of liquid through and got the same result.  This is because the grains were already mashed and the starches removed and converted to sugars.  The liquid is just rinsing the sugars out.

Parti-Gyle works best if you are making a higher ABV beer with the first runnings and a light beer with the second runnings.

So I got

• 15 litres of the Duvel clone @ OG 1.072.  It got down to 1.009 for an 8.8% beer.
  • 28 litres of the Quarvel @ 1.027.  It got down to 1.010 for a 2.2% beer.

Depending how the Quarvel tastes, I will do this process again.  I am planning a 10% IIIPA in a month or so, which will be a good opportunity to Parti-Gyle again.

On 9/9/2023 at 4:42 PM, Pale Man said:

20230909_160339.jpg

I see the assistant brewer is watching with eagle eyes 🙂 

How long does it take to drip-feed the content of the FW to the keg like this? 

• Like 1