Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

2 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

With that lube don't use too much on the post o rings they will stuff up the inside of the quick connect

Put a little bit and I mean a little bit on a finger and rub it between 2 fingers just so you can feel it then apply to the o ring

I bought it from CB at Kilburn & he showed me the same, he said it would last for ages.

Cheers.

19 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

With that lube don't use too much on the post o rings they will stuff up the inside of the quick connect

Put a little bit and I mean a little bit on a finger and rub it between 2 fingers just so you can feel it then apply to the o ring

Maybe that’s my problem, using too much 

• Like 1

The usual canandrum. I have no room to brew because the kegerator, and the keezer are full and the freshly kegged beer is currently in the ferment fridges. I need to brew but have no room. 

So, should I just leave the fresh kegs on the side in the hot temps and gas them up when they’re needed or do I gas them up now and put them aside. Either way, I need room for fermenters. The obvious option of gassing them up and leave them in the fridges is not an option. I have 3 beers lined up and need to get them out ASAP.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

The usual canandrum. I have no room to brew because the kegerator, and the keezer are full and the freshly kegged beer is currently in the ferment fridges. I need to brew but have no room. 

So, should I just leave the fresh kegs on the side in the hot temps and gas them up when they’re needed or do I gas them up now and put them aside. Either way, I need room for fermenters. The obvious option of gassing them up and leave them in the fridges is not an option. I have 3 beers lined up and need to get them out ASAP.

Thoughts?

Slow down a bit or start drinking quicker🤣

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Aussiekraut how do you need to get these brews out? Sounds like you have plenty of kegged beer. 

Its probably the only option to let a few kegs warm up and take brew fridge back

My kegs are in various states of empty. Some are fairly full, others in a near gone state. I’ve been drinking less beer lately to give the liver a little reprieve but this completely stuffed up logistics. I have 8 kegs but only have cold storage for 6. ATM, I have two full kegs in a fridge and one of them on gas. So I managed to shuffle things around and free up one of the fridges, so I’ll brew a batch for the father in law, hopefully tomorrow. But I also have two batches lined up for me, one to keg, the other to, shock horror, bottle 😀 

my problem is keeping kegs in warm storage. I’ve run into issues after gassing up a nice Porter and the keeping it warm for a couple of months. It took weeks and most of the keg to get the gas ratio sorted, because even after the keg being in the fridge for a couple of weeks, it still only poured froth. To avoid that, I’m thinking storing warm with no gas and then chilling and gassing when needed might be the way to go but I have heard people saying one should never store beer warm unless it is fully carbed. 
so my options are store warm with no gas’s (just burped a few times of course), store warm but carbed up and store cold with gas and not brew until the keg situation is sorted.

if I can free up 2 kegs, preferably 3, I should be sweet again. 

• Like 2

@Aussiekraut yeah multiple partial kegs suck big time. I guess if you are really warm up there it might be not ideal to store warm.

Doesn't old mate @Red devil 44 up your way store some at room temp until has room? 

I do remember the stout trouble you had though. Better luck this time i suppose tough spot to be in. 

@Back Brewing maybe kegs with a few glasses worth no more than that on the lawn. Id rather fill a jug and drink it flat out of fridge.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Gash on his last live YouTube said he has even tipped partial kegs out to make room for fresh kegs so maybe the near gone ones tip them out you have enjoyed most of it

I could do that but it would probably cause physical pain 😀

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Aussiekraut yeah multiple partial kegs suck big time. I guess if you are really warm up there it might be not ideal to store warm.

Doesn't old mate @Red devil 44 up your way store some at room temp until has room? 

I do remember the stout trouble you had though. Better luck this time i suppose tough spot to be in. 

@Back Brewing maybe kegs with a few glasses worth no more than that on the lawn. Id rather fill a jug and drink it flat out of fridge.

Hi all, yeah I do store a few away warm, under my house in a corner of my brew area which I can keep light away from, reasonably cool area also. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Sacrilege.

He Paley,  

I connected everything up & give her  r test run, in spite of a 4m line & burping the keg multiple times its still pouring heavy.

I will have to keep it up daily I suppose to get normal pouring pressure.

Otherwise it's a cool thing to have & the beers OK too.

20231220_160310.jpg

20231220_160518.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

He Paley,  

I connected everything up & give her  r test run, in spite of a 4m line & burping the keg multiple times its still pouring heavy.

20231220_160310.jpg

20231220_160518.jpg

What psi have you got?

• Like 1

Ok by pouring heavy you mean froth? If so i would have thought 4 metres would do the trick.

I see your beer line is out in the open ( ambient temp ) which will not help. Your beer line needs to be cold too. Which is an annoyance with portable systems.

So try and chill your beer line in ice, and turn down your gas for poring a tad.

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

He Paley,  

20231220_160310.jpg

20231220_160518.jpg

Your beer is going through 4 metres of ambient temp beer line. It will froth. You have to get your keg in ice, along with your line.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Ok by pouring heavy you mean froth? If so i would have thought 4 metres would do the trick.

I see your beer line is out in the open ( ambient temp ) which will not help. Your beer line needs to be cold too. Which is an annoyance with portable systems.

So try and chill your beer line in ice, and turn down your gas for poring a tad.

Yeah, good point Paley, thanks, but that was purely a test run/checking for leaks etc. but next time I try it I will pour from the fridge.

I do remember you telling me that & it makes good sense. It means the gas bottle & regulator will have to sit in a fridge, but I can't help that.

Cheers.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Your beer is going through 4 metres of ambient temp beer line. It will froth. You have to get your keg in ice, along with your line.

It will be housed in the fridge until an Esky & ice are needed to make it portable.

Thanks mate, you have cleared things up.

Just another great thing about this great forum, brewers helping brewers.

Pale Man, THROTDO.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, good point Paley, thanks, but that was purely a test run/checking for leaks etc. but next time I try it I will pour from the fridge.

I do remember you telling me that & it makes good sense. It means the gas bottle & regulator will have to sit in a fridge, but I acn't help that.

Cheers.

Do a proper test run next time as though youre actually going to a party. Stick your keg and beer line in ice and chill for a while. I'm pretty confident you wont have issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I do remember you telling me that & it makes good sense. It means the gas bottle & regulator will have to sit in a fridge, but I acn't help 

Is your keg cold? If it is turn the gas off and pour a couple of beers to reduce the co2 I agree with getting the lines cold BUT the beer coming through after the first couple of quick pours will be cold

I still reckon if you fill a keg with water and adjust pressure and line length to pour 300 Mil in 8 seconds you will be on the right track

With my kegerator I was all over the place 10psi then 11psi then 12psi so I turned off the gas let all the air out and started again it finished spot on at 9psi now I can pour a beer at any time even the first pour of the day and it is perfect.

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Do a proper test run next time as though youre actually going to a party. Stick your keg and beer line in ice and chill for a while. I'm pretty confident you wont have issues.

I actually have room in a fridge to house the complete set-up in so I will do another test run tomorrow night when the beer lines are cold.

Just now, Back Brewing said:

Is your keg cold? If it is turn the gas off and pour a couple of beers to reduce the co2 I agree with getting the lines cold BUT the beer coming through after the first couple of quick pours will be cold

I still reckon if you fill a keg with water and adjust pressure and line length to pour 300 Mil in 8 seconds you will be on the right track

With my kegerator I was all over the place 10psi then 11psi then 12psi so I turned off the gas let all the air out and started again it finished spot on at 9psi now I can pour a beer at any time even the first pour of the day and it is perfect.

Yeah thanks, I appreciate your input, the keg has never been out of the fridge, it was placed on the sink for the test run.

I haven't got time to do the water test, but I am pretty sure @Pale Man is on the money with the warm beer lines.

Cheers.

• Like 1