Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

Hey guys have nothing ready to keg for a few weeks yet so decided to turn keggerator off and give it a clean and a rest. 

Noticed this black rubbery thing with plastic around it at the back. Must have dropped down from the back behind the cold plate thing and been on one of the pipes the gas runs through or something to cool the keggerator?

20231022_134518.jpg

20231022_134507.jpg

• Confused 1

On 9/9/2023 at 4:42 PM, Pale Man said:

Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale ( partial mash with Gladfield Ale and Weyerman Wheat )

20230909_160339.jpg

19 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I see the assistant brewer is watching with eagle eyes 🙂 

How long does it take to drip-feed the content of the FW to the keg like this? 

I do similar and, although I have not timed it, it takes 30 - 60 minutes.  I attached a gas disconnect instead of a spunding valve to vent the keg.  I have also read about people locking open the pressure relief valve.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Hey guys have nothing ready to keg for a few weeks yet so decided to turn keggerator off and give it a clean and a rest. 

Noticed this black rubbery thing with plastic around it at the back. Must have dropped down from the back behind the cold plate thing and been on one of the pipes the gas runs through or something to cool the keggerator?

20231022_134518.jpg

20231022_134507.jpg

Dunno.  Maybe some packing material or something to stop vibrations.

Speaking of things that do not look very good, after I transferred to a keg a few days ago, I noticed a dirty mark on the inside of the tube of my fermenter to keg transfer line.  I have some 30cm long pipe cleaners that I thought I could use to give it a clean.  So I removed the tube from the Duotite on the disconnect and found the end of the tube and the inside of the disconnect were absolutely filthy.  The last centimetre of the inside of the tube was coated in a sludge-like goop.  I could not see it from the outside because this is about the length of tube that is concealed in the Duotite.  I am amazed that, given how many beers I have transferred with it, I have not had any infected brews.

I was surprised to find it so dirty.  After I transfer a brew with this line, I give it a good rinse through with hot water.  Then I run sanitiser through it and store it away for next time.  I read that a water rinse and sanitiser is good enough for equipment that only has minimal contact with the beer.  I guess that stuff can collect in tiny crevasses and eventually grow.

I chopped off the end of the tube and dismantled the disconnect and gave it a good clean and a soaking in Oxysan cleaner.  Then I sanitised it with Stellar San and reassembled.  In regards to @Aussiekraut's query about how long does it take to transfer to a keg, I think, now the line is clean, it will transfer much faster.

Now I am worried about the cleanliness of the beer lines in my kegerator.  They sit there with beer in them for a whole keg.  I do run pure Sodium Percarbonate through them, and rinse and sanitise, every time I change a keg.  However, seeing the condition of my beer transfer line, I think I should do a deep clean on the kegerator beer lines.

By the way, it turns out the original mark on the inside of the tube was a stain of some sort that would not budge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Shamus O'Sean exactly why I decided to purposely let the kegs run out so I could give it a rest and check for things that might need cleaning or replacing. 

Its been continuously running for 2 and a half years and I was also worried about things I might be missing.

Just as I was finishing my last keg I noticed the left side nukatap leaking through the top. I pulled it apart and cleaned and reassembled but still does it. I only replaced the seals in them just over a year ago but appears the left one has gone again. 

I am also planning testing a commercial keg in it so know if it works properly before Christmas. But I got a d type conversion lid for CUB kegs with the ball lock connections. The gas thread goes on fine the liquid appears to tight. 

I will have to do a bit more research before I fork out a whole heap of money for a 50 litre keg of Melbourne Bitter.

• Like 2

@Shamus O'Sean forgot to say in last post thanks for comment about what was hiding in the end of the line. I'm not sure that would affect me with barb fittings for my connections. But maybe the push in  connections at the top of font before the tap could do with replacing or checking for grubby build up like you found?

I think i will be giving the beer and gas connections a good soak in sodium perc and replacing the other stuff why its turned off.  Just realised it's been 2 years and 10 months on original parts so a bit of preventative TLC would not hurt it before summer.

There may be a keggerator rebuild thread somewhere but I guess this is still related to kegging. Not like we ever get sidetracked 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Shamus O'Sean forgot to say in last post thanks for comment about what was hiding in the end of the line. I'm not sure that would affect me with barb fittings for my connections. But maybe the push in  connections at the top of font before the tap could do with replacing or checking for grubby build up like you found?

I think i will be giving the beer and gas connections a good soak in sodium perc and replacing the other stuff why its turned off.  Just realised it's been 2 years and 10 months on original parts so a bit of preventative TLC would not hurt it before summer.

There may be a keggerator rebuild thread somewhere but I guess this is still related to kegging. Not like we ever get sidetracked 😄

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg, you are probably right about the barbed fittings.  You can see the interface where they join.

I think your push in connections might be okay.  Part of the issue with the transfer line might be that it gets used, then rinsed and sanitised.  But, because one end of this specific tube is open, it can dry out.  That probably allows things to grow.  Compared to a kegerator where the lines are closed (other than at the tap) and either full of beer or being cleaned or full of sanitiser.  That environment probably helps to stop anything growing or building up.

Let us know what you find when you check them out.  My Series X kegerator would be due for a deep clean.  But I am pretty lazy.

• Like 3

@Shamus O'Sean I would never say you were lazy or take shortcuts or anything like that. The way you analyse everything and detail you give when explaining things. 

I don't always comment or hit the like button especially if reading not logged in.

The details you put into posting or showing rebuilding things or trouble shooting speaks for itself.

Much appreciated 👍🏻🍻

• Like 4

A visit to the BREW FACTORY 36kms away from me - too far for me but I needed their services as I have empty kegs & my brother & his wife are staying with me for a couple of days, Melbourne Cup week.

www.brewfactory.com.au

I hate the Northern Suburbs as I live on the beach at Glenelg & I bought & refill of Brick Lane Draught from them & I have just hooked it up so I will have keg beer tonight & for a couple of weeks, not my preferred situation but no time to brew in that short space.

They have cans on sale for $4.00 & Schooners for $2.00, quite a big range also.

I noticed a lot of Coopers drums & bulk ingredients containers, so it appears to be Coopers beers.

A few random photos, it is a bit primitive, but they have been there for 15 years so good luck to them.

This post sort of belongs in here.

fridge.jpg

brick lane lager.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A visit to the BREW FACTORY 36kms away from me - too far for me but I needed their services as I have empty kegs & my brother & his wife are staying with me for a couple of days, Melbourne Cup week.

www.brewfactory.com.au

I hate the Northern Suburbs as I live on the beach at Glenelg & I bought & refill of Brick Lane Draught from them & I have just hooked it up so I will have keg beer tonight & for a couple of weeks, not my preferred situation but no time to brew in that short space.

They have cans on sale for $4.00 & Schooners for $2.00, quite a big range also.

I noticed a lot of Coopers drums & bulk ingredients containers, so it appears to be Coopers beers.

A few random photos, it is a bit primitive, but they have been there for 15 years so good luck to them.

This post sort of belongs in here.

fridge.jpg

brick lane lager.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

haha I like the PL lager 😂. $2 a schooner? OK, this s SA, we won't go there 😂.. cool place mate, thanks for posting 👍🏻

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

haha I like the PL lager 😂. $2 a schooner? OK, this s SA, we won't go there 😂.. cool place mate, thanks for posting 👍🏻

He legally can't sell the beer the $2 is a donation he has 6 beers on tap so you have a good selection to sample

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@stquinto what is that EWL box thing on ur tap? some sort of nitrogen thing?

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Stquinta, is that a pump type tap as found in English Pubs?

I think EWL is the company that makes the pump. It’s a cylinder with the piston in it and is a half or quarter pint in volume. 
You connect a few non-return valves (they’re called something else) to a cask (ideally, but I’ll start with a 5 l keg) and pump up your beer like in a pub in the UK. I put a few grams of sugar (and fish guts) in for keg conditioning as it won’t be on the gas bottle. Well actually it will, I have another connector that allows in a slight amount of CO2 just to cover the beer so it won’t go off. That’s what I’m hoping, and that’s why I’m starting with 5l kegs.

I’ll post pictures when I’ve set it up.

As it’s autumn here a beer served at 10 degrees is ok, not so much in summer….

I’ve got about 25l each of Timothy Taylor Landlord and Black Sheep Ale clones waiting, hopefully they’ll be ok. If not I’ll just put them on the gas in the keezer.

The rabbit hole got some more tunnels in it 🤣

Quick joke : what do you call a man with a rabbit in his a*se?

Warren…. Boom boom!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just kegged my double batch of Balter XPA Clone,  one keg on tap in the Kegerator, the other keg in the Keezer. 
‘These were pressure fermented for 16 days, so just sitting on serving pressure to finish the carbonation off. 
‘Probably knock these off as I’m now on Annual Leave for a month. 🍻🍻🌴🌴

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Just kegged my double batch of Balter XPA Clone,  one keg on tap in the Kegerator, the other keg in the Keezer. 
‘These were pressure fermented for 16 days, so just sitting on serving pressure to finish the carbonation off. 
‘Probably knock these off as I’m now on Annual Leave for a month. 🍻🍻🌴🌴

Sounds good RD.

Kegged the Hazy Pale Ale on Friday night.

ABV was pretty much on the money 5.1% predicted, 5.0% actual.  Volume was a bit down because, as you can see in the photos, I commando dry hopped.  There was a fair bit of hop matter in the bottom of the FV.  

This time I added the dry hop at the same time as starting the cold crash.  The cold crash was only for 4 days, so the dry hop was not in contact for too long.  I usually like to dry hop for only 3 days.  I normally add the dry hop in a Chux cloth once the specific gravity is around 1.020.  I leave it for 3 days and then fish it out wearing sanitised food handling gloves.  I give the "bag" a squeeze to retain the hoppy goodness and a bit more liquid in the brew.  Having gone commando this time around, I lost about 1.5 litres to hop absorption.

IMG_3989.JPG.ac8688f7f15afff3234e2e41e85d696e.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG.9d087a8d801ecee28e5624b2fbb14332.JPG

• Like 5

On 10/22/2023 at 1:55 PM, Aussiekraut said:

I see the assistant brewer is watching with eagle eyes 🙂 

How long does it take to drip-feed the content of the FW to the keg like this? 

Sorry for the delay in a reply AK, missed your post somehow. As Shamus mentioned around 30 minutes. I like to fill slow to eliminate any oxidisation chances. I feed in through the beer pickup tube.

• Like 3