Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Interesting.  With the pickle puree/mash, I was thinking of draining off the juice first and minimising the spices that get mixed up with the pickles.  The wort, as it is, has enough pickle spice vibe.  You can definitely taste the pickle in Garage Project's version, but it is not dominant.  I do not want to take mine over-the-top pickle either. 

His was dominant, you could taste the beer under the pickle but just. I can imagine it would be refreshing in a hot day if it was the other way around and you could just taste the pickle under the beer.

He also had a porter which was very nice. Another bloke spoke highly of his brewing skills. I think the pickle beer was a bit of a joke beer 🤣

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kegory said:

His was dominant, you could taste the beer under the pickle but just. I can imagine it would be refreshing in a hot day if it was the other way around and you could just taste the pickle under the beer.

He also had a porter which was very nice. Another bloke spoke highly of his brewing skills. I think the pickle beer was a bit of a joke beer 🤣

I would rather save the pickle for the cheese board!! 

But then I haven't tasted it, I have tried chili beer, honey beer, mango beer & some others with all sorts of stuff & so far, I don't like any of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would rather save the pickle for the cheese board!! 

But then I haven't tasted it, I have tried chili beer, honey beer, mango beer & some others with all sorts of stuff & so far, I don't like any of them.

This one from memory was pretty inoffensive, and refreshing enough. It works as a sour, but you probably don't want to overdo the pickle flavour https://untappd.com/b/garage-project-pickle-beer/4004935

• Like 2

I kegged an AG Budvar clone today, first run from my stainless steel FV.

I had to just pour it into the keg as my setup with filters and the beer inlet for the keg didn’t fit. It makes for a really quick transfer that’s for sure…

It’s also the first brew I’ve really been serious about temperature control, including a proper cold crash for 10 days at 0 degrees.

From what I’ve understood proper temperature control really is a game-changer. I’ll find out in a cuppla weeks 😃

Oh, and who said blokes can’t multitask? Keg beer and pour one simultaneously 

IMG_8953.jpeg

IMG_8954.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Today I kegged my Coopers Lager and my New Zealand Pilsner.  This was a split kit and kilo brew with some hop additions.  The yeast did not drive the OG as low as predicted, only 1.011 instead of 1.007.  So ABV was 3.8%.  Both should be easy drinking.

Really clear in the FV.  This was the New Zealand Pilsner after cold crash with Isinglass and Polyclar added as finings.

IMG_3751.JPG.f3f69c66f2695463bfde9e64263ad9d6.JPG

Transferring the New Zealand Pilsner - Had a hop steep with 30g of Motueka and dry hop with 52g of Motueka.  Certainly had a fruitier aroma than the Coopers Lager.

IMG_3752.JPG.8994ef68f4eac20c57b463f7770b50f1.JPG

Transferring the Coopers Lager - Had a 10 minute boil with 16g of Cascade for a few extra IBU's.  Taste and aroma was reminiscent of Brew No. 1.

IMG_3754.JPG.64ce70da858a1d963f6202076baf9c31.JPG

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Today I kegged my Coopers Lager and my New Zealand Pilsner.  This was a split kit and kilo brew with some hop additions.  The yeast did not drive the OG as low as predicted, only 1.011 instead of 1.007.  So ABV was 3.8%.  Both should be easy drinking.

Really clear in the FV.  This was the New Zealand Pilsner after cold crash with Isinglass and Polyclar added as finings.

IMG_3751.JPG.f3f69c66f2695463bfde9e64263ad9d6.JPG

Transferring the New Zealand Pilsner - Had a hop steep with 30g of Motueka and dry hop with 52g of Motueka.  Certainly had a fruitier aroma than the Coopers Lager.

IMG_3752.JPG.8994ef68f4eac20c57b463f7770b50f1.JPG

Transferring the Coopers Lager - Had a 10 minute boil with 16g of Cascade for a few extra IBU's.  Taste and aroma was reminiscent of Brew No. 1.

IMG_3754.JPG.64ce70da858a1d963f6202076baf9c31.JPG

Wow Shamus, what a great colour, certainly looks nice. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Wow Shamus, what a great colour, certainly looks nice. 

Thanks, Phil.  It is just the Coopers Original Series Lager plus the Coopers Light Malt Extract, plus some hops.  Maybe the reddish colour we see is just a trick of the light.  Time will tell.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post this over the weekend.  Kegged my Pickle Sour Beer on Sunday.  The sample certainly tasted like pickling juice.  In the end I did not add the actual pickles as a "dry hop" because the flavour seemed already well developed.  Got a few Grolsch bottles too.  Looking forward to trying a carbonated sample.

IMG_3761.JPG.bb65549338a326ecd42914914770324e.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How did the new stuff go?

Yeah went really well mate! The beer came out crystal clear and tasted alright 👍🏻 Gravity fed, took about 20 minutes to fill the keg, purged the keg with CO2 first, then because the brew was cold crashed to about 2º I watched the condensation creep up to the top line on the keg which was just over 19kg. I did do a trial run with sanitiser, but me being a dumbass didn't take the proper measurements, but I knew the ball park I should be in so just winged it (as usual 🙄).

Just curious, I like your setup, do you just fill to the 19L (kg) line or do you fill right to the top? I have seen one of Kee from kegland's videos and he says he fills right to the top. What's your opinion?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Yeah went really well mate! The beer came out crystal clear and tasted alright 👍🏻 Gravity fed, took about 20 minutes to fill the keg, purged the keg with CO2 first, then because the brew was cold crashed to about 2º I watched the condensation creep up to the top line on the keg which was just over 19kg. I did do a trial run with sanitiser, but me being a dumbass didn't take the proper measurements, but I knew the ball park I should be in so just winged it (as usual 🙄).

Just curious, I like your setup, do you just fill to the 19L (kg) line or do you fill right to the top? I have seen one of Kee from kegland's videos and he says he fills right to the top. What's your opinion?

Sound great.

I only fill to 18 litres (or 18kg).  I over did it once or twice and over-filled the keg.  Because I mostly closed loop transfer, when I over fill the keg, I get beer in the gas jumper line.  It is a bit of a headache to clean and dry.  So I apply the 1 litre factor of safety.

One of those times, it was a keg for my brother in law.  I gave him the keg pressurised to 10-12psi.  When he got it home, he hooked it up, but he did not pressurise his gas line first.  Therefore, because the keg was full to just over the gas dip tube, the pressure in the keg forced beer back up his gas line to his regulator.  Now that was a mess to clean.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sound great.

I only fill to 18 litres (or 18kg).  I over did it once or twice and over-filled the keg.  Because I mostly closed loop transfer, when I over fill the keg, I get beer in the gas jumper line.  It is a bit of a headache to clean and dry.  So I apply the 1 litre factor of safety.

One of those times, it was a keg for my brother in law.  I gave him the keg pressurised to 10-12psi.  When he got it home, he hooked it up, but he did not pressurise his gas line first.  Therefore, because the keg was full to just over the gas dip tube, the pressure in the keg forced beer back up his gas line to his regulator.  Now that was a mess to clean.

Ouch! 

I was force carbonating, but now I'm doing the set and forget method. I may have to wait a week, but the results are better straight off the bat. I figured I might be able to fudge the levels a bit in my keg using the set and forget method. Yeah, something to keep in mind for closed loop transfers, but down the track for me if I get a kegmenter. Pressure fermenting is something I definitely want to try.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have only ever filled it to the weld line which is exactly 19l. I tested it once with a 5l measuring jug & so far it has worked out fine,

I am going to buy the Keg Land scales for $50 as I have seen @Shamus O'Sean use just for the hell of it.

That's what I did today, just filled to the weld line which was about 19kg. Yeah, I was ordering some other stuff so I thought why not order some scales for $50! I don't regret it, makes closed transfers easy.

btw, not super high quality, but certainly fit for purpose.

• Like 5

If you do closed transfers, and really that is the ideal method as you do not introduce any oxygen, then a set of scales is essential when filling a keg so you know exactly how much beer is in the keg whilst you are transferring.

The scales these days are inexpensive and pretty accurate, I think that I paid about $40 delivered for my 40kg set. They also come in very handy for measuring grain amounts when you make the grist. I also use gas for my brew heating (70L Nano) so the scales are also excellent for knowing how much gas there is in the cylinder.

• Like 5

Just kegged my stout today the one I put too much water in ☹ it fermented out to 3.8% so I'm happy and also got 4 big bottles

On gas and now the wait I'll have a sneak taste in about 6 days

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 5

On 6/18/2023 at 12:12 AM, Cheap Charlie said:

In goes my Coopers Genuine Draught clone. Trying out some new gear too 😀

filter.thumb.jpg.64f6520c3fcd89071a5200c9a4bc9d21.jpg

Nice setup there 👍

Concerning filling the cornie, I go for 18l max. If it’s a 23l brew I have a few 5l mini kegs so between the 18 + 4 or so im the mini keg, that does it as there’s just the trub left.

I like the SS FV too, I’m looking to upgrade as my plassie ones are getting a bit tired.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

Nice setup there 👍

Concerning filling the cornie, I go for 18l max. If it’s a 23l brew I have a few 5l mini kegs so between the 18 + 4 or so im the mini keg, that does it as there’s just the trub left.

I like the SS FV too, I’m looking to upgrade as my plassie ones are getting a bit tired.

SS Brewtech, really great piece of gear, easy to clean and virtually no risk of infection (so far 🤞🏼)

• Like 1