Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

23 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Shamus O'Sean I never get into % of attenuation with brewing but glad only kegging then I assume? Nothing worse that doing a bottle with an out of normal brew.

Yes, I put all of this brew into 1 and 1/2 kegs.  FG was 1.017, so not too bad.  But most lager yeasts I have used finish under 1.010.  If it was to kick off again in bottles, it might get messy

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Just another kegging pic. FWK All In Brewing Bearded Dragon Pale Ale. I dry hopped with 25 grams of Cashmere and 25 grams of Eukonot.

@jennyss the real Blue Dog decided to photo bomb this time.

20230823_172720.jpg

Sounds like a great brew @Pale Man I am going to get a few more of those, but I still have grain to use up as well. 

On 8/20/2023 at 2:13 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Kegging day for the Real Ale, it went smoothly, 19l in the keg fridge & bottled 8 x 500ml bottles which equals 23l.

I even detailed the brewing fridge; I think I have earnt a beer.

Cheers 🍻

20230820_124017.jpg

20230820_124118.jpg

20230820_133045.jpg

Looking good Phil. I have got a can of Real Ale to try out, and BE2. Any suggestion what else to add? Cheers and Prost

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Looking good Phil. I have got a can of Real Ale to try out, and BE2. Any suggestion what else to add? Cheers and Prost

My recipe was as follows.

The hops were 50gm of POR added 4 days before kegging, tied up in a muslin bag. I would have preferred Citra but out of stock ATM.

20230824_062314.thumb.jpg.90d1f52c64fcb8838f67359d4f67c3b6.jpg

I have a few mates that are Mega Swillers, they seem to favour Pub beer over my hoppy Ales/IPA/XPA types, so I usually try & keep a keg full of standard pub type stuff like Real Ale, Draught etc. I am not saying these are ordinary, they are great, but I still can't help myself with additions. They still agree it is better than some pub beer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kegged my Czech Budvar Lager a few days ago.

This is the 5th generation using the White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager yeast.  It has progressively attenuated less and less.  I'll only use it once more, me thinks.  This brew ended up 4.1% ABV.  It will be nice.

IMG_3866.JPG.efaa2f9a663427e576c4c9d9c271524b.JPG

• Like 6

On 8/12/2023 at 8:00 AM, Kegory said:

I'll give this a shot. I'm sure somebody/everybody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Original Gravity minus gravity points of non-fermentables multiplied by 100/Final Gravity minus gravity points of non-fermentables.

Found a quick simple formula OG- SG/OG×100

So example 40-12=28/40=0.7x100=70%

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Found a quick simple formula OG- SG/OG×100

So example 40-12=28/40=0.7x100=70%

Yeah/Nah

The Coopers formula is reasonable: (OG – FG) / 7.46  But you have to make the SG whole numbers.  So for OG 1040 and FG 1012

(1040-1012)/7.46 = 3.75%

This is in the fermenter.  If you prime with sugar or carb drops in bottles it will be 0.3 - 0.5% higher. 

58 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yeah/Nah

The Coopers formula is reasonable: (OG – FG) / 7.46  But you have to make the SG whole numbers.  So for OG 1040 and FG 1012

(1040-1012)/7.46 = 3.75%

This is in the fermenter.  If you prime with sugar or carb drops in bottles it will be 0.3 - 0.5% higher. 

Sorry mate My formula was for attenuation 

• Like 1

Kegged my pale ale this morning before heading off to golf. It's on high pressure until tomorrow morning so I can sample it tomorrow after golf, but after that I'll try to leave it alone until the red ale is ready 🤣

Gotta work out when I'm doing the next two brew days too. At this point I'm looking at the weekends either side of grand final week. 

• Like 3

Kegged my Aussie Rice Lager tonight.

Calling it Aussie because I used Pride of Ringwood (and Magnum) in the boil.

Lots of trub in this one, about 5 litres worth.  I must have transferred a heap of rice powder across to the fermenter.

I harvested the top 2 litres of the trub and will use 1 litre in a Munich Dunkel next week.

Much better attenuation in this one compared to the first brew done with this yeast.  82% this time, compared to 65% in the Rattenhund Pilsner clone.

Filled the corny, plus a 4 litre mini-keg, that I put 12 carb drops in to naturally carbonate.  Also got 6 x Grolsch bottles filled.

IMG_3880.JPG.c81b809a89ac64b809bdfe706464216a.JPG

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged my Aussie Rice Lager tonight.

Calling it Aussie because I used Pride of Ringwood (and Magnum) in the boil.

Lots of trub in this one, about 5 litres worth.  I must have transferred a heap of rice powder across to the fermenter.

I harvested the top 2 litres of the trub and will use 1 litre in a Munich Dunkel next week.

Much better attenuation in this one compared to the first brew done with this yeast.  82% this time, compared to 65% in the Rattenhund Pilsner clone.

Filled the corny, plus a 4 litre mini-keg, that I put 12 carb drops in to naturally carbonate.  Also got 6 x Grolsch bottles filled.

IMG_3880.JPG.c81b809a89ac64b809bdfe706464216a.JPG

Mate that is a lot of trub

• Like 1

Keg beer line cleaning

Last night I finished off 2 kegs.  Time to clean the beer lines.  I usually do it manually.  However, inspired by something I think @ozdevil posted a while ago, I decided to slightly modify my Kegland Bucket Blaster to pump cleaning liquid (6 litres of hot water with 2 teaspoons of pure sodium percarbonate), through the beer lines for cleaning.  Basically, into the outlet of tap 4, through beer line 4 to the beer disconnect and using a beer to beer jumper, then into the beer disconnect of tap 1, through the line to the outlet of tap 1 and back to the bucket blaster via a tube from tap 1.

Ran cleaner through for 30 minutes, then hot water for 10 minutes.  Then pushed santiser through.  Just a bit more simple than my usual process.

IMG_3889.JPG.2d5807c507cfa78d8c4ccb1009e88fec.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG.fc8b8905cf3b537fce3a8bba4f8daf32.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Keg beer line cleaning

Last night I finished off 2 kegs.  Time to clean the beer lines.  I usually do it manually.  However, inspired by something I think @ozdevil posted a while ago, I decided to slightly modify my Kegland Bucket Blaster to pump cleaning liquid (6 litres of hot water with 2 teaspoons of pure sodium percarbonate), through the beer lines for cleaning.  Basically, into the outlet of tap 4, through beer line 4 to the beer disconnect and using a beer to beer jumper, then into the beer disconnect of tap 1, through the line to the outlet of tap 1 and back to the bucket blaster via a tube from tap 1.

Ran cleaner through for 30 minutes, then hot water for 10 minutes.  Then pushed santiser through.  Just a bit more simple than my usual process.

IMG_3889.JPG.2d5807c507cfa78d8c4ccb1009e88fec.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG.fc8b8905cf3b537fce3a8bba4f8daf32.JPG

yes i did post something like that up   , it makes cleaning beer lines alot easier  then doing them individually

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

yes i did post something like that up   , it makes cleaning beer lines alot easier  then doing them individually

Yes.  It was so easy, there is no reason why I shouldn't clean all the lines at once (other than getting a few more connectors)

• Like 2