Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nice looking kegging spot too.

Cheers @Shamus O'Sean, it’s sort of my outdoor man cave.

‘Have a big screen tv with a sound bar, pool, beer on tap and most importantly an understanding wife.🤣🤣

‘The latest purchase (SS fermenter) was a trade off, I bought that so the lovely bride bought some new clothes & ray bans.

‘Happy wife, happy life I guess. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The last brew I kegged I couldn't see the bottom of the gas in post because of stellasan foam I put 17 1/2 litres in I was going to put 18 litres in but stopped the keg before that I put 17 litres in 

In a kegland 19ltr corny keg can I put 18 litres in comfortably?

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

The last brew I kegged I couldn't see the bottom of the gas in post because of stellasan foam I put 17 1/2 litres in I was going to put 18 litres in but stopped the keg before that I put 17 litres in 

I put 18.5 in my 19L Corny's with no issues.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I second @Hoppy81's comment.  But I only put 18 - 18.2 litres in my 19 litre cornies.

If you go back in this topic thread you will find where I had overflows.  However, that was because I had one keg with an extra long gas dip tube (about 5-6cm).  I recently replaced that dip tube with a new one 2-3cm long.  I doubt I will have the overflow problem again, even if I fill to 19 litres.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I second @Hoppy81's comment.  But I only put 18 - 18.2 litres in my 19 litre cornies.

If you go back in this topic thread you will find where I had overflows.  However, that was because I had one keg with an extra long gas dip tube (about 5-6cm).  I recently replaced that dip tube with a new one 2-3cm long.  I doubt I will have the overflow problem again, even if I fill to 19 litres.

I have only ever filled to the weld line with no issue, in an earlier post I stated that I measured with water in a 5l brewing jug & it was spot on 19l. I suspect you guys' brews would be heftier than mine so better to be safe.

• Like 3

Kegged my Aussie Lager lawnmower beer this morning. "Dirty kegged" it in the empty keg from the fridge which blew on Friday night. I figured it was all CO2 in there, so just backfilled it. Unfortunately I forgot to purge it and it blew the new beer back through the filter up into the FV! 😩 The pressure forced the beer out of the filter creating a mess, luckily I had the filter in a pot. I lost 4 litres and I was only able to get 15L in the keg. Oh well, into the fridge and set and forget for a week. The good news is this megaswill lager turned out really good and I can't wait to try it! 

2.thumb.jpg.2096a0b6e8624791472ce2c9d94d054b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Kegged my Aussie Lager lawnmower beer this morning. "Dirty kegged" it in the empty keg from the fridge which blew on Friday night. I figured it was all CO2 in there, so just backfilled it. Unfortunately I forgot to purge it and it blew the new beer back through the filter up into the FV! 😩 The pressure forced the beer out of the filter creating a mess, luckily I had the filter in a pot. I lost 4 litres and I was only able to get 15L in the keg. Oh well, into the fridge and set and forget for a week. The good news is this megaswill lager turned out really good and I can't wait to try it! 

2.thumb.jpg.2096a0b6e8624791472ce2c9d94d054b.jpg

Shouldn't laugh, but could not help myself.  I bet anybody in earshot learned a few new swear words when it happened.

Sounds like the resulting brew will be worth it though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kegged my Regency Red KnK. It had been cold-crashing for almost 2 weeks. Apart from being flat it was very drinkable already.

I didn’t have Melba so replaced them with Eclipse.

I filled it right up to 19l. Fingers crossed 🤞 

You can really see the condensation on the side of the keg, don’t really need to bother with scales

IMG_9242.jpeg

IMG_9246.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

It's kegging time tomorrow, today is keg washing, absolutely love this part of the job 🤪

20230710_161132.thumb.jpg.97f9083c2fdf14e22ab5e0762f2e93d5.jpg

Hey Mate, just get on with it & stop winging, 🤣 seriously that must be a pain, but I know you would have it under control.

How can you thirst the hoards with empty kegs?

It is good to see production is happening, Cheers mate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Kegged the AG Balter Hazy XPA Clone today, in the keezer on serving pressure, let this one carb up over time as I have others to drink. 🍻

‘Said it before, the SS Fermenter is a pleasure to work with. 

IMG_2175.JPG

Looks good RD, but how do you go lifting it up there? Isn't that the 65l?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good RD, but how do you go lifting it up there? Isn't that the 65l?

@Classic Brewing Co I bring the fermenter out from the fridge via a small trolley on wheels, but then I lift it up onto the table, so a bit of grunt involved.

‘This one is only a 25L fermenter so it’s not too bad weight wise.

Once cold crash is complete all the trub (yeast, hops etc) are in the bottom of the cone section which makes for a nice clean transfer, which in turn makes it easier if I want to re-harvest the yeast. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

@Classic Brewing Co I bring the fermenter out from the fridge via a small trolley on wheels, but then I lift it up onto the table, so a bit of grunt involved.

‘This one is only a 25L fermenter so it’s not too bad weight wise.

Once cold crash is complete all the trub (yeast, hops etc) are in the bottom of the cone section which makes for a nice clean transfer, which in turn makes it easier if I want to re-harvest the yeast. 

Yeah, I knew you would have it under control, but it looks bigger in the picture.

Something like that would be iffy' using a pulley system.

Is that the one with the heating function only? I looked at one from Keg Land very similar, I like the idea of the conical bottom.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I knew you would have it under control, but it looks bigger in the picture.

Something like that would be iffy' using a pulley system.

Is that the one with the heating function only? I looked at one from Keg Land very similar, I like the idea of the conical bottom.

No heating function on this one @Classic Brewing Co

Where the temperature port is I take the one supplied out and feed my Inkbird thermometer probe in there whilst under ferment. 
I just have a heat belt hung up in the fridge on a hook if it needs any heating assistance. 
‘It will warm up soon in SE Qld, so won’t require the belt soon. 
I find with the SS fermenter I get a more accurate reading temperature wise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

No heating function on this one @Classic Brewing Co

Where the temperature port is I take the one supplied out and feed my Inkbird thermometer probe in there whilst under ferment. 
I just have a heat belt hung up in the fridge on a hook if it needs any heating assistance. 
‘It will warm up soon in SE Qld, so won’t require the belt soon. 
I find with the SS fermenter I get a more accurate reading temperature wise. 

Ok, I think I would go for the one with heating as Glenelg is down by the beach & it gets bloody cold down here, it's 7c ATM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well after all of my excitement with a leaking keg, I conducted a few tests outside & happy to report no leaks & all is back to normal.

Cheers. 🍻

20230725_110418.jpg

20230725_110430.jpg

20230725_112154.jpg

Are you using the same keg? Did you figure out what caused the problem?

• Like 1