Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

5 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

My last bottle of Mr Sinister with chocolate malt, 20 months old and sooo gooood. I understand why you wanted to bring the Abv down, it is really packing a punch. But like you say, the sweetness balances the bitterness. Still have some bottles with roasted barley left, maybe have one next month. 

86C520E4-F724-4572-BA84-04F27940E8B2.jpeg

Looks so good BF.  I love the dark brown froff

• Like 3

Kegged up my recent batch of COPA today, also got 6 x 345 ml stubbies as travellers, (sorry no pics).  I will drop in part B of the recent COPA brew (cube 2) of this same batch into a fresh clean FV tomorrow and dump the last bit of CCA yeast that I have reserved for it.  Will spin up some fresh CCA later in the month to start off another generation of COPA beers to keep stocks up.

Got the second keg of my Carlton Draught Clone all fast carbed up, its been lagering for about 1 month and now this newly kegged COPA is under a fast carb procedure tonight. 

Just finishing off drinking the second keg of my Outback Pub Lager so when that runs out the CD using DL yeast should be ready for drinking.  The next 44 L batch of CD using SGLY is currently in the middle of a D-Rest and will be cold crashed later this week before I head away up to FNQ.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

Well, not exactly kegging time. It's bottling day.

IMG_20230506_133318174.thumb.jpg.f4f2e0ec10b259ccacbf7bb7ac7d8ed2.jpg

People talk about how long it takes to bottle a brew but it didn't take as long as I feared. Mind you, I prepped as much as I could yesterday.

IMG_20230506_135115949.thumb.jpg.26bc9bb073ba7c5ffd9391380e1d4fa6.jpg

There were a couple of hiccups, though. The bottling wand wouldn't hold liquid, I discovered when I was sanitizing it. Fortunately, thanks to Phil talking about hop gunk clogging wands I'd decided to get a spare just in case anything happened. It's the nature of things to break or break down at the most inconvenient time possible.

I also miscapped one but that was an easy fix. And I forgot to tap the shelf above the tap. Hopefully I'll remember next time.

IMG_20230506_152104076.thumb.jpg.e071ad610d6da0aee3e55045ed06548b.jpg

Well, they're all tucked away in the conditioning cave slowly coming up to temp. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks to find out if I got it right. The sample didn't taste like there was anything wrong with it but I still poured most of it into the sink.

Waiting. Cleaning and waiting, that's what home brewing's all about, I reckon 

Here's what I did:

IMG_20230506_163035956.thumb.jpg.d53f579641ed7dd4bb459f924ad5b634.jpg

IMG_20230506_163130319.thumb.jpg.050c78c8e76818f993be85d92092d9e6.jpg

Edited by Kegory
Spelling
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Kegged my Bearded Dragon Pale Ale this morning.

‘In the keezer on serving pressure, it can carb up slowly as I have other kegs on tap. 🍻🍻

I have one of these myself that I found a little bland to start with. I added 50 gram cascade dry hop in keg for 2 days. 

Had a taste this morning after work is delicious.  What volume did you brew it to? With what yeast and alcohol content? If dont mind sharing please.

Mine was 19 litres with Nottingham slurry and came out at 5.7% in keg

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I have one of these myself that I found a little bland to start with. I added 50 gram cascade dry hop in keg for 2 days. 

Had a taste this morning after work is delicious.  What volume did you brew it to? With what yeast and alcohol content? If dont mind sharing please.

Mine was 19 litres with Nottingham slurry and came out at 5.7% in keg

Hi @Uhtred Of Beddanburg, I brewed it to 26L, so ABV was 3.6%, more to my liking.

‘Used US-05 yeast, which I have just re-harvested with the West Coast IPA.

‘Didn’t dry hop as I was away working, no tasters yet as it is carbing up, might have a sneaky taste tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

At what day do you suggest to have a sneak taste? I was going to have a little sample on about day 8

man i taste  atevery stage but i am a all grainer 

but as a extract brewer i would be tasting right from 1st reading to last reading

1st bottle   to last

i generally have a taste at all stages 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Yeah I taste as well but I didn't explain it well

I have my first keg in the kegerator I kegged it Monday its on 12 psi at set and forget I was thinking of having a sample on about day 8 from when I kegged it

Just have a taste when you feel like it. There is no planned tasting regime.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Yeah I reckon I'll have a sample tomorrow just to see if it is carbonating and make sure I didn't bugger it up while kegging 

Nervous times 😬

mate, you cant really  bugger it up with the set and forget method .   however though if you  fast carb a beer you can bugger it up 
alot of the forum members here fast carb  for there own reasons and they swear by it ,  but you do run the risk of over carbing the beer  .
i myself dont worry fast carbing i have always gone the  slow method like you have done  set and forget and have never failed.

i usually pour a sample on day 3 of carbing  , knowing it will not be  carbed up  then day 5  then about day 7 its smack on

i usually use the carbonation charts as well  to the amount of carbonation i want for the particular beer i have brewed

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i generally have a taste at all stages

I am an extract brewer, and I taste at all stages, even when first mixing and any time of day. I also like to test the Specific Gravity at all stages. It all paints a picture - similarities and differences with taste and timing with different brews. My husband thinks that is a waste of beer!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I am an extract brewer, and I taste at all stages, even when first mixing and any time of day. I also like to test the Specific Gravity at all stages. It all paints a picture - similarities and differences with taste and timing with different brews. My husband thinks that is a waste of beer!

With 001 I tested SG and tasted early just to see if it was where I thought it was but I'm going to be far more conservative with 003. It's in the baby FV, only 8.5L, and wasting beer is much more of a concern.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

mate, you cant really  bugger it up with the set and forget method .   however though if you  fast carb a beer you can bugger it up 
alot of the forum members here fast carb  for there own reasons and they swear by it ,  but you do run the risk of over carbing the beer  .
i myself dont worry fast carbing i have always gone the  slow method like you have done  set and forget and have never failed.

i usually pour a sample on day 3 of carbing  , knowing it will not be  carbed up  then day 5  then about day 7 its smack on

i usually use the carbonation charts as well  to the amount of carbonation i want for the particular beer i have brewed

Yeah, I would agree with that, I have been kegging for a bit over 12 months & from my experience the slower method is better as I have tried the fast carb method & although it works you are always having trouble pouring a drink without a lot of froth. I have experimented a few times but from now on I will be sticking to setting it at serving temp & wait until it is ready.

Some seem to have a lot of luck with it but so far, I have always over-carbed the keg.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I would agree with that, I have been kegging for a bit over 12 months & from my experience the slower method is better as I have tried the fast carb method & although it works you are always having trouble pouring a drink without a lot of froth. I have experimented a few times but from now on I will be sticking to setting it at serving temp & wait until it is ready.

Some seem to have a lot of luck with it but so far, I have always over-carbed the keg.

Yeah, most of the time I don't fast carb anymore either. Straight on serving pressure and all is good. When you fast carb, you have a drinkable beer within 24 hours or so but it still is a very green beer and doesn't taste as it should anyway.

• Like 4

Oh yes poured half a glass nice carbonation happening and the head firming and sticking on

I will wait now until Saturday which will be 13 days in the keg. I will post a pic to show how it has turned out. First keg and I'm quite happy how it has all come together.

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged my take on @Aussiekraut's Mötley Brëw tonight.

Smelled great in the FV.  The sample also had a lovely fruity flavour.  Cannot wait to taste this one.

Fermenter now freed up.  I will get my Pickle Sour Beer in it tomorrow.

I tried a bloke's pickle sour at the home brew club meeting last month. IMO, 2L of pickle juice was too much pickle juice.

• Haha 1

I just kegged the AG - Eclipse XPA, it finished bang on 1.010, all gassed up in the keg fridge & now we wait.

I tried the owner's of the LBHS (CB) own brew of this recipe & it was great, as most brew shops have, he has a few taps going for customers to taste so I am waiting to see what mine turned out like.

20230528_115345.jpg

20230528_120751.jpg

20230528_123919.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

I tried a bloke's pickle sour at the home brew club meeting last month. IMO, 2L of pickle juice was too much pickle juice.

Interesting.  With the pickle puree/mash, I was thinking of draining off the juice first and minimising the spices that get mixed up with the pickles.  The wort, as it is, has enough pickle spice vibe.  You can definitely taste the pickle in Garage Project's version, but it is not dominant.  I do not want to take mine over-the-top pickle either. 

• Like 1