Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

2 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Thats how I'm currently pouring all my beers. Straight to the coolroom with the tap Phil has just posted. disconnect gas post, pull prv and pour, re-attach gas post, my kegerator has been packed away since our last market and house reno's, so no space for it. works fine, just a slower pour.

Right, so weve now established he has a flow control tap. I was under the impression all along he had a standard tap.

• Like 1

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thanks Hoppy, it is nice, I don't think I will bother to change the tap over, if you just crack the psi dial it's easy to adjust in the fridge. 

Absolutely, no need to change it with a pour like that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The new mini keg is all up &running now, the only thing I am not happy with is the regulator & gas bottle in there.

Has any20231222_085417.thumb.jpg.68ec06504170633dd8cc641535a86321.jpg kegger ever had any bad experiences or comments on that?

Cheers 🍻 

Hi Phil, to answer your question about having the gas bottle and regulator in with your keg being cooled, I have the same set up on my keezer,.

The only issue I have with storing my CO2 bottle in with my kegs (at almost freezing temps) is the pressure drop on the bottle side of the CO2 gauge (eg; a new bottle will go from 1000kpa to 500kpa in a matter of a day) so there's always a "oh poop, do I have a leak" moment and then it's always a little hard to work out just how much gas I do have available when the bottle is getting low.

Here's some info for you from the web on this subject:

How will leaving the CO2 tank in the refrigerator affect the carbonation? Will this be alright or should I set up the CO2 tank outside of the fridge?
The co2 tank can go inside or outside the refrigerator. There are three things in the long run to consider when deciding where to put the co2 tank when making a kegerator.
First, just a FYI that co2 is a liquid and we use the gas the comes off of the liquid. Since it is a gas, it will expand and contract with warm and cold temperatures, allowing readings on a regulator of 800-900 psi when at room temp and about 500-600 psi when cold. We mention this as a lot of people think they have a gas leak the very first day it is in the refrigerator as they see what looks like the bottle emptying. It should level off at about 500 psi in about 48 hours.
Second, most regulators work based off of a spring and a large rubber seal. Storing this cold will in the long term have more negative effect on the rubber seal then storing it at room temp. We find that ours takes longer to adjust the pressure when changing it when the regulator is cold, as apposed to when it is warm.
Third, the final issue is do you have space to keep the co2 inside, or do you have room outside for the tank. With all of that said, most people I know keep the tank inside the refrigerator for convenience.

On another note: If you find luggin' a 9 kg CO2 bottle around a little tiresome, for ~$28.00 you might wanna have a look at one of these bad boys Basic CO2 Mini Gas Regulator CO2 Charger 0-30 - their great for a portable set up. I find the Charger Bulbs Cartridges last a least one 4 litre mini keg (so about $2.00 for a 4 litre keg on the go 😋 🍺 🍺 🥳

Hope that helps put ya mind at ease re storing ya CO2 bottle in the fridge 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hi Phil, to answer your question about having the gas bottle and regulator in with your keg being cooled, I have the same set up on my keezer,.

The only issue I have with storing my CO2 bottle in with my kegs (at almost freezing temps) is the pressure drop on the bottle side of the CO2 gauge (eg; a new bottle will go from 1000kpa to 500kpa in a matter of a day) so there's always a "oh poop, do I have a leak" moment and then it's always a little hard to work out just how much gas I do have available when the bottle is getting low.

Here's some info for you from the web on this subject:

How will leaving the CO2 tank in the refrigerator affect the carbonation? Will this be alright or should I set up the CO2 tank outside of the fridge?
The co2 tank can go inside or outside the refrigerator. There are three things in the long run to consider when deciding where to put the co2 tank when making a kegerator.
First, just a FYI that co2 is a liquid and we use the gas the comes off of the liquid. Since it is a gas, it will expand and contract with warm and cold temperatures, allowing readings on a regulator of 800-900 psi when at room temp and about 500-600 psi when cold. We mention this as a lot of people think they have a gas leak the very first day it is in the refrigerator as they see what looks like the bottle emptying. It should level off at about 500 psi in about 48 hours.
Second, most regulators work based off of a spring and a large rubber seal. Storing this cold will in the long term have more negative effect on the rubber seal then storing it at room temp. We find that ours takes longer to adjust the pressure when changing it when the regulator is cold, as apposed to when it is warm.
Third, the final issue is do you have space to keep the co2 inside, or do you have room outside for the tank. With all of that said, most people I know keep the tank inside the refrigerator for convenience.

On another note: If you find luggin' a 9 kg CO2 bottle around a little tiresome, for ~$28.00 you might wanna have a look at one of these bad boys Basic CO2 Mini Gas Regulator CO2 Charger 0-30 - their great for a portable set up. I find the Charger Bulbs Cartridges last a least one 4 litre mini keg (so about $2.00 for a 4 litre keg on the go 😋 🍺 🍺 🥳

Hope that helps put ya mind at ease re storing ya CO2 bottle in the fridge 😉

Hi Triple B,

I appreciate your effort/input, yes, I have noticed the fluctuation in the serving pressure, but it is easily remedied by turning the gas off & re-set the regulator, a bit of a pain but as I said earlier, it wasn't my plan in the first case, 

I was concerned mainly with long term damage to the regulator/gas bottle being stored in the fridge.

I have 4 taps in the keg fridge & a spare port ATM, so I could easily adjust that.

It has been checked for leaks, in the LBHS where I had it filled as well as when I got it home.

I probably will end up hooking the keg up the main system so that the gas bottle/reg don't have to sit in the fridge & just be available for when I want to make it portable.

Thanks again & Merry Xmas.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Triple B,

I appreciate your effort/input, yes, I have noticed the fluctuation in the serving pressure, but it is easily remedied by turning the gas off & re-set the regulator, a bit of a pain but as I said earlier, it wasn't my plan in the first case, 

I was concerned mainly with long term damage to the regulator/gas bottle being stored in the fridge.

I have 4 taps in the keg fridge & a spare port ATM, so I could easily adjust that.

It has been checked for leaks, in the LBHS where I had it filled as well as when I got it home.

I probably will end up hooking the keg up the main system so that the gas bottle/reg don't have to sit in the fridge & just be available for when I want to make it portable.

Thanks again & Merry Xmas.

Thanks Phil, all good and your very welcome

I have had my CO2 bottle and regulator stored in my Keezer since building it about two years ago and there has been no real negative side effects that I can tell on my reg set up.  Just that (little bit) annoying pressure drop which sees the regulator show an incorrect gas pressure (well it is correct, but only because the liquid is so cold - anywayz ya know what I mean 🤯) - still that's just a conversation thing for me to deal with - that is; 500kpa is the new full bottle reading ✔️- the other thing I have set myself up for is the ability to weigh my bottle. That is; my D Size bottle will weight 11.00 KG when its empty (17.00 KG when full) so I'll have a pretty good idea when I might be close to running outta gas 🫣

Thanks for the Chrissy wishes cobber - trust your Festive Season is full of tasty cold brews and wonderful memories buddy 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Stay safe - and I'll catch ya on the flip side in 2024 eh 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I do not think that the gas bottle would ever be a problem being in the fridge. I am a bit wary though about putting regulators in fridges, it is a moist environment in a fridge and maybe all that moisture may cause problems with regulators, e.g. condensation inside the gauge may cause problems with the mechanism and also potentially cause corrosion. I have never put a regulator in a fridge, but I reckon there is the potential for problems.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I do not think that the gas bottle would ever be a problem being in the fridge. I am a bit wary though about putting regulators in fridges, it is a moist environment in a fridge and maybe all that moisture may cause problems with regulators, e.g. condensation inside the gauge may cause problems with the mechanism and also potentially cause corrosion. I have never put a regulator in a fridge, but I reckon there is the potential for problems.

Yea, I agree, it is not an ideal situation, that's why I brought it up. The only reason I did it was to try the beer out of the mini keg.

I did say I could hook it up to the main system, in fact I probably will but at the end of the day, the whole thing was about having a portable set-up.

When I need to transport it, I can get some ice & chuck it into an Esky.

Cheers.

• Like 1

The last keg fill for 2023, Pale Ale, this will be ready for a test slurp on New Years Eve, unless I sneak one in a few days time.

Either way I now have 3 kegs of beer in the system,  I was aiming for 4 but I will get cracking on brews in 2024.

Cheers to all.

Ho Ho Ho

🍻💥🍺🎅

20231224_115549.thumb.jpg.8223f1bd6e60c9ca84fff3bef7913f4e.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, category 5 said:

Nice one @Classic Brewing Co

Question for all - keg set up time again.
How much beer line????

The lines in my 4-tap keg fridge are all 2.5m, the taps are Keg Land Nuka Taps with flow control & tap return springs.

the 9.5l keg has now beer line, it pours straight from the keg with the appropriate fitting/tap.

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The lines in my 4-tap keg fridge are all 2.5m

Cheers, no flow control, just Perlick taps

13 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

It depends on your setup is it a fridge, keezer or kegerator?

Keezer, taps will go through the collar

3 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I think @Malter White uses them

Yes I do. They're ok because they're cheaper and lighter than steel. They also hold a couple more pints.

I also have steel cornies and if I had my time over again I'd buy cornies from the start. They are more robust and have a smaller footprint. You need a very wide fridge to fit 2 PET side by side.

The PET don't handle hot water very well either. Even hot tap water softens the glue that holds the base. The first time I washed mine with hot tap water I ended up with kegs on an angle. The max pressure for PET is around 30-35 psi, meaning fast carbonating isn't as fast as what steel can handle. I don't fast carb but it's handy to know this.

• Like 2