Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2023

Shamus O'Sean

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It won't run for me either Stquinta, compatibility issue perhaps?

As they used to say in Private Eye (for any of you folks who know that UK publication) 

“New technology baffles p*ssed old hack”…

Sums it up really. I’ll get my kids to show me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just picked this lot up from a friend of @ozdevil who lives in Adelaide, apparently his work is too busy for him to brew.

It is an amazing addition to my brewery as I have plans to build a portable set up for visits to the neighbours, BBQ's, maybe even the beach 🏖️

It was an exceptional gesture & very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Phil

20230227_115435.thumb.jpg.1897a18bc73c7d052c57ea3714ccb43e.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just picked this lot up from a friend of @ozdevil who lives in Adelaide, apparently his work is too busy for him to brew.

It is an amazing addition to my brewery as I have plans to build a portable set up for visits to the neighbours, BBQ's, maybe even the beach 🏖️

Thank you.

Phil

glad you can put it to good use   enjoy

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

glad you can put it to good use   enjoy

Cheers Mate, I certainly will, it's in very good nick & the gas tank is 3/4 full.

I have just priced a portable set-up with a picnic tap, if I deduct the Regulator & buy the items separately it comes to $139.80.

All I need to go is carb up a keg, chill it & whack the keg in a plastic tub of ice or place the lot in a fridge if it is available where I are visiting.

Instant "Phil's Bar & Grill" mobile. 

Can't wait.

https://www.kegland.com.au/pluto-gun-keg-starter-kit.html#:~:text=the images gallery-,Pluto Gun Keg Starter Kit,-Rating%3A

Slight amendment - I may just get the 9.5 Corny so the price would come down slightly.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers Mate, I certainly will, it's in very good nick & the gas tank is 3/4 full.

I have just priced a portable set-up with a picnic tap, if I deduct the Regulator & buy the items separately it comes to $139.80.

All I need to go is carb up a keg, chill it & whack the keg in a plastic tub of ice or place the lot in a fridge if it is available where I are visiting.

Instant "Phil's Bar & Grill" mobile. 

Can't wait.

https://www.kegland.com.au/pluto-gun-keg-starter-kit.html#:~:text=the images gallery-,Pluto Gun Keg Starter Kit,-Rating%3A

that sounds the way to go    and nice easy  portable  solution

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thank you.

Phil

Nice one Phil, and @ozdevil too !

I just got a small bottle (7kg instead of 10) and it's much handier size-wise. When my other ones blow I'll replace them with the 7kg ones. Makes them pretty portable: not quite like a soda stream but better value.

• Like 1

All Grain Pale Ale experiment. Weyerman Pilsner and Wheat. A touch of Gladfield Dark Chrystal. Saaz hops for bittering and flavour. Very clear going into the keg. Should be a nice zingy thirst quencher. I pushed the Lallemand Verdant Yeast to the lower limits of a 16 degrees for a cleaner taste. Ramped up to 20 at the end. See how it goes.

20230228_172743.jpg

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 10

15 hours ago, Pale Man said:

All Grain Pale Ale experiment. Weyerman Pilsner and Wheat. A touch of Gladfield Dark Chrystal. Saaz hops for bittering and flavour. Very clear going into the keg. Should be a nice zingy thirst quencher. I pushed the Lallemand Verdant Yeast to the lower limits of a 16 degrees for a cleaner taste. Ramped up to 20 at the end. See how it goes.

20230228_172743.jpg

Easy to tell who's boss of the brew house PM. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to keg my COPA that's been cold crashing for 4 days. Frozen solid !

I've put it by the boiler to defrost, I suppose the yeast is a goner ?

Got a Landlord AG to keg too, at least it's not frozen...

161409368_frozenCOPA.thumb.jpg.e179fc102dd7a1c52e1f9d2e4bf3c3c7.jpg

landlord.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

I was going to keg my COPA that's been cold crashing for 4 days. Frozen solid !

I've put it by the boiler to defrost, I suppose the yeast is a goner ?

Got a Landlord AG to keg too, at least it's not frozen...

161409368_frozenCOPA.thumb.jpg.e179fc102dd7a1c52e1f9d2e4bf3c3c7.jpg

landlord.jpg

I reckon the yeast might be okay. For one of the Homebrew Challenge episodes on YouTube he froze a batch pretty much before it had started fermenting (he found the FV frozen on day 2). Defrosted and the yeast took off again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I reckon the yeast might be okay. For one of the Homebrew Challenge episodes on YouTube he froze a batch pretty much before it had started fermenting (he found the FV frozen on day 2). Defrosted and the yeast took off again.

I froze a Czech Pilsner once cold crashing, I did everything I could to nurse it back to health, ended up bottling it & it took a few months before it developed any real flavour but I remember the last few were pretty good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kegged my Maris Otter and other stuff AG brew today. It had Maris Otter as the base and some wheat, carapils and some rye, fermented with Nottingham. I am experimenting with finings so it was kettle fined with Whirlfloc, my usual practice, and then gelatine in the fermenter whilst it was cold crashing so I am interested to see the clarity once it is carbonated. I have also received an order of crushed plastic pipe to try as a fining agent in the next brew 🙃.

2414e.JPG

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Kegged my Catharina Sours.  Mango in one and passionfruit in the other.  I was worried about the dark colour when I transferred the wort to the fermenters.  However, I did not need to be.

What I am worried about is what looks like my first pellicle in a brew.  It was the passionfruit fermenter.  It might have come from the frozen passionfruit pulp.  Or more likely from the clumsy way I removed the Chux hop sock that was holding the passionfruit.  It was not there when I removed the Chux.  Kegged it anyway.  Probably do a bleach sanitise on the FV, the keg and the line I end up putting it on in the kegerator.

MANGO CATHARINA SOUR

IMG_3639.JPG.50286aab6cc433a0476f491436828bcf.JPG

PASSIONFRUIT CATHARINA SOUR

IMG_3641.JPG.b7699889a71bfe9eab02b4672a37ca89.JPG

Passionfruit pellicle

IMG_3640.JPG.d540be8ce0aa3a8e9a7f3bda1ca2b592.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cheap Charlie said:

hmmm, not sure if I could trust that 😕

PVPP (polyvinylpolypyrrolidone) or Polyclar.

"PVPP PolyClar - Granulated Powder - 500g

PVPP is a widely used stabilising agent which aids in the removal of polyphenols which contributes to chill haze in beer.

It is also commonly added to white wine  to bind to and remove phenolic compounds which contribute to browning and astringency. It preserves wine aroma, unlike some other fining agents.

PVPP can reduce bitterness and brighten colour of red wines however it is more commonly used as an additive to white wines."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cheap Charlie said:

hmmm, not sure if I could trust that 😕

PVPP, aka PolyClar. I always refer to it as ground-up plastic.

It is completely harmless and works a treat. It binds to specific proteins in the beer and drops them out of suspension. It will ultimately drop out and you aren't drinking it. I usually put a solution of 250ml hot water and a teaspoon of PVPP into the FV a day after I initiate the cold crash. It works well and helps clear up quite a bit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1